UKC

MCofS Membership

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 foggieclimber 01 Mar 2007
Is anyone else on this forum a member of more than one mountaineering club and as a result have to pay multiple membership fees and insurance fees to Mountaineering Council of Scotland?

Do the BMC do the same?

What benefit do you get from paying twice?

Is it legal, in consumer law, to take multiple payments for a single service - sure they are not insuring me twice.

Have emailed MCofS and await a response.
feepole 01 Mar 2007
In reply to foggieclimber:

Sounds like you've got a pretty strong case. Guess it could get a bit messy as to how much - if anything - do you pay to your second club.

Look on the bright side, at least you get two copies of each edition of Mountaineer!
 Norrie Muir 01 Mar 2007

Instruct your clubs Treasurer/Secetary not to send your affiliation fees to the MCofS. Ask for a refund, then join the BMC, after all, they are far better than the cowboys at the MCofS.
OP foggieclimber 01 Mar 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir: Thanks, but not sure if an affiliated club's members have the choice to join or not.
 Norrie Muir 01 Mar 2007
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) Thanks, but not sure if an affiliated club's members have the choice to join or not.

You would be joining the BMC as an Individual Member.
 Andy Say 01 Mar 2007
The BMC do exactly the same. But they (the BMC) do have a 'pay-back' facility whereby if you are a multiple member through a variety of club memberships you can claim the extra subs back. Amazing how few people do actually claim it back though - maybe folks are willing to pay over the odds just so they've got something to whinge about?
graeme alderson 01 Mar 2007
In reply to Andy Say: See http://www.thebmc.co.uk/thebmc/clubs/cmship.htm and also it will (as usual) be mentioned in the next issue of Summit
In reply to foggieclimber: I appreciated the MCofS stand on the Sheildaig hydro however I didnt appreciate the backsliding by certain people concerning bolting despite a clear message from the membership.
 Judd_IV 02 Mar 2007

I've a question relating to this (kind of). When you join the BMC you get Summit free during your membership.

I joined the MCofS this year and got Scottish Mountaineer magazine free with my registration - but then I never got it again. Don't you continue to get it?

Anyone know?
OP foggieclimber 03 Mar 2007
In reply to Judd_IV: You should continue to get magazine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...