UKC

Depolarized compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
day_dreamer 04 Mar 2007
I don't post very often but I have a little conundrum and I am hoping the colective knowledge on these forums may have an answer.

In the last two years I have had two compasses depolarize. These were both made by Silva. I suspect it has something to do with the building I live in. It is a relatively newly built (2.5 years old) appartment block. I know the section I currently live in has a steel frame.

The compasses were both stored away from any electrical cables, pipework or speakers. I moved the place where I stored the compass after the first one broke. I have also moved floors so the problem would not just be localised to one part of the building.

Am I being paranoid or is it acceptable to have to replace my compass every year? If not, is there a way I can store the compass so this does not happen again?
Simon Wells 04 Mar 2007
In reply to day_dreamer:

No idea why a steel frame would depoloarise your compass, but it does happen enough in a wide range of enviroments.

If you contact Silva they'll probably tell you to put the depolarised one UNDER a ok one for 24 hours, it does work!

Just not sure why they go wrong in the first place?
day_dreamer 04 Mar 2007
In reply to Simon Wells:

Wish I could explain what is happening, the only environment change I can think of is the building.

I will my compass to a friend to get it fixed so I don't end up breaking their compass, I did not realise the fix was so simple, thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...