UKC

Egerton cleanup - This Sunday (11th March)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JDDD 06 Mar 2007
I appreciate that this is short notice, but it is more down to the fact that we were unable to get hold of someone with a chainsaw.

There will be an organised cleanup at Egerton Quarry this weekend on Sunday 11th March from about 10.30am ish. The primary goal will be to cut about 3sqm of trees down at various places near to the crag to enable the sun to get to the rock. The trees need to be cut up and then piled up. Other work includes removing some of the rubbish from the stream and making it flow better.

Please bring shovels, gloves and other cleaning equipment. You are welcome to clean routes if you like or just come down and lend your support.

A map is here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=371950&y=414350&z=3&sv=...

Meet at the Wood Buttress area which for those that don't know is the SW corner of the quarry near the pool (the buttress faces NE)

PS This is the first of a number of clean up meets to be organised by the NW area meeting. Other quarries up for work include the Wiltons, Hoghton and further work at Egerton so watch this space. We also want any climbing and crag photos for the new guide so this summer is your chance to get out there, clean and climb some new routes and get yourself into the new guide!
 match 06 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

Bump.
I'll be there.
 Fiend 07 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

This morning's *bump*

I may be going, it depends on the weather and committments to Alicia who is staying around here for the grit.

For those who are considering it, a bit of background reading on this top quality grit quarry: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...

Even if you come down and spend an hour helping out and the rest of the day climbing (yup there's some areas that are good even in winter), it would be welcome. The more usage the quarry gets the better.
ukminch 07 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

I don't mean to sound like a pain, but you have stated that you were unable to get hold of anyone with a chainsaw. In your previous thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=217104&v=1#3191330
there were quite a few offers - myself included

I appreciate that you are a volunteer but when people have offered there time it's a bit frustrating to not receive a reply then get told that you are unable to get anyone to do what you ask.

On a more positive note I may well be available on sunday (not confirmed yet) and would be more than happy to turn up and help out with a chainsaw. Do you need any other equipment (strimmers etc)

Regards
Rob
OP JDDD 07 Mar 2007
In reply to ukminch: I may have missed you, but I did email a couple of the other folks on that page with no response. I apologise if you slipped through the net.
martin k 07 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman: jon, great stuff! i hear that the NW area will be setting up a programme of clean up events this spring and summer. any ideas where and when?

cheerio
rginns 07 Mar 2007
In reply to martin k: Hi Martin, I was at the meeting on Monday, and the areas that are being considered are the Wiltons and Helsby. I'm particularly keen on getting Wilton 2 climbable again, and some routes in Wilton 3. The bouldering potential has been noted in W4, which might have to wait until summer. watch this space for dates and details, which are forthcoming! Meanwhile are there any particular routes in the WIltons that you would like to see cleaned?
rginns 07 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman: Sorry Jon, bit short notice for me, as the olds are coming to visit this weekend, but keep me posted on future Egerton work!
rginns 07 Mar 2007
In reply to martin k: oh, sorry I forgot to mention Hoghton also came up but I believe the access is particularly sensitive due to nesting kestrels, so that wouldn't be until June at the earliest...
martin k 07 Mar 2007
In reply to rginns: i too was there, festering in a corner. i like to clean roues, and will be doing so, but not this sunday. i'm in the lakes on an access reps' training day.

see you at the next clean up.

cheerio
 anonymous1 07 Mar 2007
In reply to rginns:

KP, the ledge on Adrenalin , Josser (top) Vampire & the one next to it.

Cheers , would be great if you could do that.
ukminch 07 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to ukminch) I may have missed you, but I did email a couple of the other folks on that page with no response. I apologise if you slipped through the net.

No problems and I guess an apology from me, just looked like you hadn't looked at the thread. I think I should be able to make it down to help out on Sunday. Look forward to meeting you

Rob
Franklin the concerned cat 08 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

in case anyone umm-ing and ahh-ing about this - I went to the last (or maybe the last but one?) clean up at Egerton. First time cleaning routes, and had a really nice day and felt like I was doing something useful. Okay, so my stubbon obsessive character might lend me to hanging of a rope down a corner to try and make it suitable to climb, but the company was good, the organisation was good, and the bbq was top notch (although I only got of my rope in time to catch the end of it). Go!

cidet nut in Glencoe
 match 11 Mar 2007
In reply to all:

Alright people, just a quick summary of what's been done today. Trees have been thinned/removed by the Cholera Area buttress, the Empty Quarter and Phantom Wall, so all these areas should get some air circulating and less green mank.

The bottom of the Phantom Wall buttress, underneath Organ Grinder and much of Empty Quarter, and the Cholera Area have been de-brambled (the "bramble-infested slope" by Organ Grinder is no more...).

At least one new route was done, and several others have been done recently in that area of the quarry.
To my inexperienced eye, lots got done, and I'm knackered. Roll on the next one.
 scott sadler 11 Mar 2007
In reply to all:

It was a really good day. It made a massive difference with everyone working in the same area of the quarry.
Good effort to all who turned up.
ukminch 11 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:
Yer we certainly seemed to get a lot done. Good to meet you all today. Now all that I need to do is persuade myself to go and do some climbing there......

Rob
kevin stephens not logged in 11 Mar 2007
In reply to ukminch:

sorry I couldn't make it, sent to Cork today for work
OP JDDD 12 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman: Thanks all for coming down. I was unfortunatly bamboozled by the gf into sitting in a grotty pub eating crap food with her family in celebration of her sisters birthday. The observation that I was "a bit subdued" when we got home was an understatement and a half. Still she is happy and the quarry still got sorted so well done everyone.

There are plans a foot for a further cleanup / area meeting / BBQ at Egerton some time at the end of June and other cleanups at the Wiltons (specifically Wilton 2) and Hoghton. These are all pending access etc so watch this space but think mid April for the Wiltons and the beginning of the climbing season at Hoghton. I will post further details when all has been confirmed.
 scott sadler 25 Mar 2007
In reply to Jon Dittman:

Even more done at edgy today.

Loads of routes have now been cleaned around the empty quarter area and today saw three new routes. Severe 4a, E3 6a and an E4 6a. All very good quality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...