UKC

Arctic Base Camp Footwear......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt F 12 Apr 2007
I'm on an expedition to Arctic Greenland this summer for 4 weeks. I've decided that four weeks is going to require more than just my big boots as my feet are going to need a break from them. I'm unsure as to what to take though, i've looked at a lot of options including down booties, sandels, trail running shoes etc. The paramount thing is they must be light weight and pack down small which shoes don't tend to do........can anybody offer any advice?

Matt
 Pinch'a'salt 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Matt F:

Sorel boots. Got a pair of these for Base Camp on an Alaska trip a few years ago... Don't pack down that small, but nicely toasty, and your feet will thank you after a few days in ski/climby boots
 Damo 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Matt F:

Try some of the lower end at www.baffin.com

Or best is the mukluks made by Will Steger's ex-wife (I think) which are light compact and very warm. Google for them, but I'll post back if I find them first.

D
 Laubie 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Matt F:

I am in Greenland end of this month and have a light simple pair of fleecy booties, like down but made from pile fleece. For camp area only. Possibly not very good in wet conditions but expecting it to be dry rather than a wet climate.

Depends on your weight restriction, we have a massive weight awareness for gear. Also you are there in the summer, would probably say dont need anything, perhaps light trainers.
JohnnyJohnson 02 May 2007
In reply to Matt F:

If you're on the coast at sea level in the summer then Sorel boots will be too warm. Trail running shoes without waterproof lining from someone like Salomon would be fine. They are lightweight and comfortable.
 George Fisher 02 May 2007
In reply to Matt F:

How about a pair of slip on Vans with a Tweed print?

Stylish and comfy.
 davefount 02 May 2007
In reply to Matt F:
I spent 4 weeks in east greenland (basecamp was on the shoreline) with BSES last summer. in addition to my boots, I took my old running shoes. Assuming you think the risk of your boots breaking is low, I think this is probably your best bet. Some of the others took sandal type things which were also ok, (off the ice it is likely to be quite dry). If I was going again I wouldn't bother with a second pair of shoes at all. Boots can be worn casually, around camp, by tying them losly below the cleats, and this works well for getting water toileting etc. On the ice/snow you won't dream of anything except boots even for a very quick midnoght venture out of the tent.

I personally found my trainer most usefull for the couple of times I swam out to icebergs, as the rubber sole protects the feet somewhat from the cold and sharp nature of ice!

Enjoy your expedition, it's fantastic out there
 Myr 03 May 2007
In reply to Matt F:
Probably depends whether you're on the ice or not. If you are then Sorels would have been the best bet but they really don't pack down anywhere near light; down booties tend to get wet, even if you're just popping out to the loo, but if you get them with some sort of a sole (i.e. more slipper than sock) they would be better than nothing. If you're on dry ground then sandals would be best - a nice break from big boots; on soggier ground then probably trainers. What you'll probably find yourself doing is wearing boots half-laced quite a lot if you're just doing stuff round camp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...