UKC

5 Things to Improve Your Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The latest in UKClimbing.com's series of advice articles from top climbers continues this week with Neil Gresham's 5 Things you can do to improve your bouldering

Bouldering is one of those activities that comes fairly naturally and most people have a pretty good idea what to do. However, if you feel like you've hit a plateau and can't raise your game, then it may be worth having a look at this quick 5-point checklist for improving your performance.......

Read more - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=374
 Simon 17 Apr 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

One or two things that would have made this article more "real"

1- who to climb with - subjective - and always on the lips of climbers who need to be encouraged by better climbers - but feel encouraged by similar grade climbers..

2 - types of rock and the strengths & weaknesses / problems they throw up for peeps -

3 - failure - how to keep on keeping on and not letting you get down - its a big thing when you see new boulderer's feeling as though they struggle and never want to do it again - then again - its mates that carry these people through the initiation with no help needed I guess!!

cheers

Si
 TRNovice 18 Apr 2007

I got 4 points - there are no recommendations for me, except maybe give up
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 18 Apr 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC: i think the scoring on the first couple of questions is rated wrong. May I suggest you read it?
 gingerdave13 18 Apr 2007
In reply to mark reeves: i thought that too,, surely you WANT to read routes,, whereas if you say you do this you score badly,,, ho hum i'll go back to pottering away,,,,
TimS 18 Apr 2007
In reply to mark reeves: The idea is that the middle is the best place to be over all, so you get scores at the lower end for relying too much on technique, and scores at the higher end for relyiny too much on power.
In reply to gingerdave13 and Mark:

The first two questions are the reverse of the others for a purpose.

Scoring 1 means good skills and scoring 5 means good fitness. In the end a technically brilliant climber who was unfit would score low, and a strong ox who was a technical dunce would score high. Being somewhere in the middle is probably desirable for most people.

read the 'How did you do? at the bottom.

Alan
 Alun 18 Apr 2007
In reply to mark reeves:
> i think the scoring on the first couple of questions is rated wrong

You have to try and disassociate from the notion that 'higher = better', which is the usually the case in this sort of thing, but isn't the case here.
 Alex1 20 Apr 2007

The scopring system doesn't seem to make sense as in a top climber would appear to score 17 and be told that they had the strength but need to learn some technique whilst a score of 20-25 seems to indicate you haven't got much to work on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...