UKC

Stone Fall @ Ddu. Llanberis Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Wells 21 Apr 2007
Descending from Ddu, in the Pass at about 17:20'ish today when my wife was very nearly hit by a seven inch piece of rock bouncing down the scree slope, it seemed to come from the far right (facing crag), about five seconds later a second piece came down we managed to hide behind some imbedded boulders and the rock missed my head by a foot-no exaggeration!

I have no doubt the rock fall was an accident, but two very close hits when only one team is on that part of the crag?!?! I guess most of us have caused the odd rock fall, but this was very close to a fatality. SO PLEASE CAN WE ALL BE CAREFULL.

Yep, my Kevlar beast of a lid that had been on all day was in the sac! So next time if you see a guy with a HB Kevlar lid and a thousand yard stare walking along the ROAD in the Pass, that'll be me!
 Duncan Irving 21 Apr 2007
In reply to Simon Wells:

You should tell that to the sheep and goats as well. Screes accumulate because rocks are weathered out and gravity via the medium of climbers, rain, animals, help them on their way down the hill, sometimes giving folk an unnecessary fright on their way. It's not always climbers though
 Niall 21 Apr 2007
In reply to Duncan Irving:
> (In reply to Simon Wells)
>
> You should tell that to the sheep and goats as well.

What, that they should wear helmets?
Simon Wells 21 Apr 2007
In reply to Duncan Irving:

Yep could be sheep, goats seem spend more time on the east side of the Glyders, having been the poor sod in the firing line I still wonder if the other team on the crag might be more likely.

How would you tell sheep anyway?

(nearly got hit by a falling sheep on the Wastage!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...