UKC

Good all round footwear for travelling...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dead Goat's Society 23 Apr 2007
I am going off travelling for a year next week but I need to get some decent footwear. I need them to be durable/comfortable enough to live in, strong enough to do a bit of trekking in but also light enough to pack away in my bag as is necessary. To make it a little more complicated I have a gift voucher for use in the shop below. Has anyone any relevant experience with any of the shoes on display or any advice in general for that matter?

http://greatoutdoors.ie/Our_Products/Footwear/Footwear--Multi-Purpose.html

http://greatoutdoors.ie/Our_Products/Footwear/Footwear--Travel.html

Any help much appreciated, cheers...
 idiotproof 23 Apr 2007
In reply to Dead Goat's Society:

sandals Teva or Merrel spent 90% of my time in thailand and india in Sandals and regretted even taking trainers with me
Dead Goat's Society 24 Apr 2007
In reply to idiotproof: Yeah that occured to me but I am heading up to Nepal for a chunk and I don't think sandals will really cut it.
 nikinko 24 Apr 2007

if you do go for sandals or a very ventilated shoe don't go for a rubber inner sole like on the merrell stuff. I've found when my feet get wet or sweaty I slide about in mine like a sliding about thing, however tight and equalised the straps are.
brothersoulshine 24 Apr 2007

A pair of cheapo flip flops for knocking about in, and a pair of sturdy boots for when sturdy boots are needed. When you're taking a flight or are on the move with all your stuff, wear the boots and pack the flip flops so you don't have to worry about packing the boots.
 jonnie3430 24 Apr 2007

Second the flipflops!! And would try to get the lightest boots possible, I would take my Montrail D7's.
 wiwwim 24 Apr 2007
In reply to jonnie3430: I've got the montrail ones and they are incredibly light, but the soles are so thin they have cracked and split in many places, maybe worth puting stiffer insoles in if you are using them alot. Good to have ankle support though...meindl probably better. will
 TN 24 Apr 2007
In reply to idiotproof:

I pretty much live in my (2 pairs of) Merrell Kahunas. So comfy, pretty sturdy and good for fairly 'lumpy' trekking.
I've had my old ones for prob 4 years, I live in them in the summer and - apart from stinking to high heaven - they're in pretty good nick still.
In reply to nikinko: Yeah I owned a pair of merrels and had the same problem and they were probably heavier than trainers. And despite the ventilation they smelt as bad as my climbing shoes.
In reply to wiwwim: Also got a pair of montrails before a trip a few years back and I was pretty disgusted with how quickly they went to pieces in a matter of months of not very rigorous use. Actually that's the main thinking behind this thread as the bloke in the shop had recommended them and I had known no better, want to have a little more information behind me this time...
 gear boy 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Dead Goat's Society: maybe get a supportive NON waterproof mid trainer or light boot for trekking, then basic strap sandals, prefer these to the frenchman wearing sandals (phillipe phaloppe!) just easier around towns and stuff
 Flatlander 24 Apr 2007

Go with Solomon’s or scapa or asolo light hiking boots with good ankle support and bring as suggested a pair of good flip flops and don't forget a pair of climbing shoes in case there is something to play around on
 HeMa 24 Apr 2007

The Merrel Approach-shoes are pretty good, just be sure to get a non-waterproof version.

And then some cheap light flip flops.
grumpytramp 24 Apr 2007

Id recommend a decent pair of clog boots
 Guy Hurst 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Dead Goat's Society: TNH Hedgehog XCR is a good show for walking — I've done a few lightweight camping trips and a lot of day walks/approaches with mine, and also a bit of scrambling. Not found hot feet to be a problem, cos they're quite low cut. See the shop you've got a voucher for stocks them under running shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...