UKC

Best lightweight waterproof jacket <£130?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bonkers Dog 25 Apr 2007
Title says it all really. Any opinions? Hopefully it'll stay in my rucksack for the majority of the time. Mostly be using it for (non-winter) walking with a bit of use on rock. Lightness (<400g) is a big point.

Cheers in advance for any advice.
DaveT 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog: some kind of paclite smock, berghaus do a good one
 SFM 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Marmot Precip. Shop around and you might still get one for ~£55
 GDes 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog: call magic mountain in glossop. they always have mountain equipment ones dead cheap, about £40 if yu're lucky
 jimkeeley 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

What about somthing like this http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/ARC0084.htm

Not waterproof but near enough, even more with a softshell on and its 150g

Jim
Paul F 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Haglofs OZ pulloverin goretex paclite is 175g for a large.
Don't think you'll find lighter this side of a bin liner.

http://www.haglofs.se/produkter/klader.asp?lang=en&CatNr=307&Q=2#
 jonmitch 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

North Face Diad
 The Crow 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Actually I'm considering whether I could use http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360020521 for summer walking/running as well as cycling. I guess it'll be no use for climbing since it won't be cut to allow free movement of the arms above the head. I've seen it at £130 or so during various sales.

Anyone used a cycle waterproof for walking with any success?
 NathanP 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Three basic approaches:

1. Something cheap and light. My wife has a Marmot Precip which seems pretty good - good features and cut, very light and packable but not great breathability - less of a problem if you delegate the rucsack to your husband. Humph... I've seen them in Go outdoors for less than £40 recently so for your budget you can buy a Rab Vapour Rise too!

2. Just look out for any old Paclite jacket on sale. I bought a TNF flight paclite jacket for £70 and have seen Mountain Hardware Paclite jackets at a similar price, again in Go Outdoors. On reflection the TNF jacket hood is rubbish and the rear hem is far too short but it is quite light and has kept me dry(ish) in some appalling weather including the Ben in wet snow and driving rain. I've also been disappointed with Paclite breathability - the inside gets quite wet.

3. Splash the whole budget on your ideal jacket. If I had the excuse, I'd be looking at eVent jackets from Rab or Montane.

Whatever you do, make sure you try on a few different ones. The best reviewed jacket is no good if their assumptions on body shape don't suit you.

craigloon 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog: Montane Super Fly. I think hike-lite.co.uk sell it at a good discount.
supertrickywoocheese 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Haglofs, LIM Ultimate JKt, Gore Paclite & about £140, cheaper if you shop around, superlightweight, 225g ish in a mens large.

Belting bit of kit, mines lasted ages, great for biking, running, & just as a backup in my kitbag.
 David Hooper 25 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog: I have an old paclite which is a bit sweaty but well waterproof - not at all abrasion resistant on rock tho - you will trash it in no time - have heard good things re event but not tried it.
OP Bonkers Dog 26 Apr 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Thanks for all your comments folks. Much appreciated!
PeterDK 07 May 2007
In reply to supertrickywoocheese:
> Haglofs, LIM Ultimate JKt....

Do you (or anyone else) know how well the hood on the "LIM ultimate jacket" takes a climbing helmet??

If it really is helmet compatible this seems like one of the very best alpine back-up jackets on the market (if durabillity is not an isue...)

Please comment if you have tried this jacket with a helmet beneath the hood.
 Merlin 08 May 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog: rab latok alpine
 galpinos 08 May 2007
In reply to Merlin:

I've got the old Latok alpine and I wouldn't recommend it. Apart from all the toggles that flap in my face in the slightest breeze, the event fabric isn't any better than gore-tex. I've only got wet wearing it.
TWINKLETOES 08 May 2007
In reply to galpinos: Surprised at that, my Latok Alpine performs very well, and I often sweat like a fat burd on the walk in.
 ando227 08 May 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog: The OMM Kamleika jacket or smock @ 375 and 300g each. the fabric stretches (good for climbing,etc), has good breathability,soft silent handling and unlike most waterproof fabrics feels ok next to the skin. comes with valise for easy stowage. all this for less than a hundred notes www.theomm.com
get back to me if you are interested.

andy
 Wilbur 08 May 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

rab latok alpine

you can find them on sale all the time for under £130
Wes 08 May 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

TNF Diad
Rab Latok Alpine (in sale some places)
 GrahamD 09 May 2007
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Think carefully about exactly what you want it for. If you already have a good winter waterproof and just want an emergency coat - get a Regatta or Peter Storm cagoule and spend the other £110 change on something more useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...