UKC

Sea Kayak advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Erik B 30 Apr 2007
Can anyone recommend a good top end sea kayak?
 Jenny C 30 Apr 2007
In reply to Erik B:

Not exactly what you are asking for, but these guys are my shop of choice for kayaking gear: http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/products.aspx?cat1id=2&cat2id=22
 SteveD 30 Apr 2007
In reply to Erik B: Depends what type of paddling you want to do. Most of the boats seem to be plastic these days but I still swear by resin based boats (Kevlar, diolin(sp?) etc) as they tend to be lighter and faster and easier to repair.

Some folk say that plastic is better because its harder to trash it, but I've not had a problem in 25+ years of Sea Kayak expeditions and I'm not soft on my gear.

British makes include P&H and Valley. Ideally you should get to a sea kayak meet and try some boats out then you can get some ideas on layout handling etc. I was up to my 3rd boat before I was happy with the deck layout and fittings, and even then modified it with a gear tube, backrest and footpump.

Mine is a Nordkapp HM from Valley and I've done many,many happy miles in her.

Steve D

cousin nick 30 Apr 2007
In reply to Erik B:
Northshore Calypso Atlantic is a nice boat in my opinion. I don't have one, but a mate does.
Like lots of kit - ice axes, boots etc, try before you buy. Years ago I really wanted a Nordkapp, but after paddling one at the Anglesey Sea symposium I realised 'twas not for me (I like to fish from the kayak, and the Nordkapp was too tippy) - lovely boat to paddle tho'.
Inuk from Kirton Kayaks is an awesomly quick boat too, even for a duffer like me.
Depends what you wanna do too, mostly day/weekend trips, or longer carrying loadsa kit.
Hope this is useful.
Nick
Removed User 30 Apr 2007
In reply to Erik B:

Hi Erik

There's not really any single top end kayak to recommend, it more depends on what you want from it. A boat perfect for paddling to St Kilda will be different from one better suited to exploring wee nooks and crannies along a coast. There are a lot of boats out there that will do all pretty well though. Different folk like different boats, best thing to do is try to get to a sea kayak symposium, or join a club and hog as many shots of peoples boats as possible, just to get an idea of what you like and dislike. I'll have a rake for some links that may be of use and post them later.

In reference to a comment above, and to a current trend for plastic boats, my 2p worth would be to forget plastic if you're planning to get really into it. GRP boats are lighter, stiffer, faster, infinitely repairable, and importantly imho, they just feel and look better.

And make a Greenland paddle.
OP Erik B 30 Apr 2007
In reply to Removed User: cheers biped and everyone else, im wanting an allrounder, for coastal day/weekend trips and longer more serious trips, so want something very sea worthy and strong!

me and my mate are up for sea kayaking but it would be good to team up with experienced folk, any scottish based sea kayakers out there? i cant be arsed joining a kayak club!

biped, whats a greenland paddle? is it made of whale bone?
 stumc 30 Apr 2007
In reply to Erik B: Im based near Elgin, and would recomend P & H boats as good all rounders I padle an Orion which is a great all round day and exped boat but sadly not made any more.
 SteveD 01 May 2007
In reply to cousin nick:
(I like to fish from the kayak, and the Nordkapp was too tippy) -

I take it you've never paddled a Vynek then.

The Nordkapp is a bit tippy at first, but very predictable and once loaded with a months provisions, solid as a rock.

OP

I'm sure there is a scottish sea kayak meet in Skye sometime this month 25 - 28 May rings a bell but its probably full by now. I think that Nigel Foster is coming over from the states with some of his designs.

Generaly Derek Hutchinsons boats tend to be broader and more stable (P&H) thats because he's a big fella. I paddled the Orion prototype and gave him some feedback on it, its a nice boat, wasn't so keen on his other boats. Some of my photos are in one of his books.

Steve D

cousin nick 01 May 2007
In reply to SteveD:
I have paddled a Vynek - once! It was at a Sea Kayak Group UK meet at St Davids one November (1993?) - not a boat to relax in!
I agree about the Nordkapp when loaded- my view probably reflected my experience at the time - I still think its the best looking sea kayak around.
DH's boats seem to have grown to match the designer! Paddled some at ASSC a few years ago - felt like I was in the bath!
N
 CENSORED 01 May 2007
In reply to Erik B: Try as many boats as you possibly can, there's a world of difference between models by the same manufacturer and that range just increases as you diversify between manufacturers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...