UKC

Rock shoe resoles, advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 soveda 30 Apr 2007
Not a question of where, I know that much (feet first/cheshire shoe), but when!
How do you decide whether it is time for a resole?
When you go through the rand? (not really planning on waiting that long!)

Any advice out there?

Ade
 Michael Ryan 30 Apr 2007
In reply to soveda:

Shoes ready to resole:

The sole less than 80% worn and NOT worn away into the rand. Damaged rands do not make a good resole, and if the rand is replaced you'll get a floppier shoe and it'll cost more.
 thomasadixon 30 Apr 2007
In reply to soveda:

Resoled mine when I could see my big toe...probably a bit late but it worked out.
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 01 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

2nd Mick's comments. Except

>and it'll cost more.

Cheshire Shoe's prices are all inclusive; resole, rand, toe patches and P+P

Max factor 01 May 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2:

Cheshire shoe do a better job than feet first IMHO- or at least the resoles with Cheshire shoes seem to climb better with less loss of sensitivity.

Also worth really cleaning the rubber before you send it away- the last time CC did my katanas I didn't bother and as they were pretty dirty the resole is coming away from the old rubber. Yes that is a bit contradictory with my first statement!
OP soveda 01 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Thanks all, silly question but what does 80% worn look like!
Not sure if mine have got there yet...
 nikinko 01 May 2007
In reply to soveda:

how much does it cost to resole rockshoes? Are there any reasons other than economic for doing so?

I saw my big toe on Sat, but figured that once I've got some money it's just time for some new shoes.

N
 kevin k 01 May 2007
In reply to nikinko: i used seam seal to repair the hole in my shoe, cost about £6, should last for ages, and its quite sticky.
 thomasadixon 01 May 2007
In reply to nikinko:

Because you already know the shoes you have fit your feet. I've heard that resoling can change this but mine still fit perfectly, went with Cheshire and it was 29 quid.
 nikinko 02 May 2007
In reply to thomasadixon:

ok, so mine being a mediocre fit anyway I'll just get a new pair now I have more idea what I'm looking for in terms of fit!
 stevefromstoke 02 May 2007
In reply to soveda:
Cheshire resoles did my boots with stealth rubber last year. the r still attached but nearly worn out. Id recommend them
 Max factor 02 May 2007
In reply to soveda:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> Thanks all, silly question but what does 80% worn look like!
> Not sure if mine have got there yet...

Hard to tell by sight, you kind of dig in a nail and feel how much rubber is left- if you can feel the cardboard or whatever the hard stuff is nearly coming through that is when I get mine resoled.
 Michael Ryan 02 May 2007

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...