UKC

Beware - Silva Expedition 4 Compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
srnet 02 May 2007
I have had 4 of these over the past 3 years.

In each case the degree marks on the dial have come off after a very short period. I bought another new one just 6 weeks ago and it now needs replacing.

This has a been a known problem for at least a couple of years and apparently Silva have now changed the process to cure the problem.

However it would appear that the duff stock is still in the shops, I checked in one of the large chain shops on the weekend and thier compasses on display still have the problem. The ink rubs off onto your finger.

One would have though that Silva, having known of the problem for a period of years, would have withdrawn defective stock from sale, perhaps they have not ......
 Ian McNeill 02 May 2007
In reply to srnet:

you should look at the Recta 420 just as good and a little cheaper.
srnet 02 May 2007
In reply to Ian McNeill:

Unfortuantley I like the 1:25000 roamer on the baseplate of the Expedition 4, dont think the Recta's have this ?
 Ian McNeill 02 May 2007
In reply to srnet: tahy are similar in size and thay do have 1:50000 and 1:25000 romers plus magnetic delicnation*spelling* adjustment and a clinometer.
how do I know ? Im looking at three of them infront of me on the hook in the shop.
Lord Flasheart 02 May 2007
In reply to srnet:

Two words...

Sat...

Nav
 Burns 02 May 2007
In reply to Lord Flasheart:

Indeed.

Flat...

Batteries.

srnet 02 May 2007
In reply to Lord Flasheart:

> Two words...

No Thanks ?

I have a GPS, but I choose not to use it.
srnet 02 May 2007
In reply to Ian McNeill:

OK, cheers, I will take a look at them.

Cant see the point of getting another Expedition 4, until one can be sure all the duff ones are out of the shops. I am rather fed up of removing and replacing the clicky pace counter things .......
duntelchaig midge 02 May 2007
In reply to srnet:
Know of two other who have had similar problems.

They complained and being guides/involved in outdoor education they got free replacements first time but not second. Both have sworn to never go back to Silva and have told clients, friends, customers and anyone who will listen to not go near them.

Shame really as Silva have always been thought of very well. Still serves them right if they produce a bad product and then don't do the right thing to loyal customers who have been wronged.
srnet 02 May 2007
In reply to duntelchaig midge:

> They complained and being guides/involved in outdoor education they got free replacements first time but not second.

Thats terrible.

The legal situation here is very clear.

If a defect is present at the time of manufacture, which this problem is very clearly, the retailer is obliged to recompence for up to 6 years from the time of purchase (5 years in Scotland).

So tell your mates to go back to the shops, explain that it a known manufacturing defect, and demand recompence, do not be fobbed off.

I am not sure on the exact detail or whether its exactly correct ..... but I seem to recall that if a retailer attempts to avoid their legal responsibility by for instance attempting to claim they are not liable to replace goods that are faulty, they commit an offense.

> Both have sworn to never go back to Silva and have told clients, friends, customers and anyone who will listen to not go near them.

Cant disagree with that and, reluctantly, I would advise the same.

Duff stock, with an known manufacturing defect that retailers (or Silva) have been aware of for possibly 3 years or more, is still in the shops (well it was a few weeks back).
 suilven 03 May 2007
In reply to srnet:

As the leader of a school based D of E group in Renfrewshire I'm about to send over 20 Type 3 compasses less than 4 years old back to Silva for the very same reason.

Also you wouldn't believe the number that end up with bubbles in them.

And the number of Go Systems stoves which have exploded in flames....."now kids, this is how to light a stove safely......wooooooooossshhhhh!" My eyebrows are getting a bit hacked off with the whole thing.
 hamish2016 03 May 2007
In reply to srnet:

I've had a recta for ages now ( might be the Recta DT 420 Elite compass, http://www.maps-warehouse.co.uk/recta-baseplate-compasses.htm , or something similar anyway.)
It's been as good as gold, nice to hold, sticks to the map well, nice dial action and it's even glow in the dark!

hamish
srnet 03 May 2007
In reply to Hamish Dunn:

How well does it glow in the dark ?

I have found the needle on an Expedition 4 does not glow very much and is quite difficult to see at night.
 hamish2016 03 May 2007
In reply to srnet:

i'll have a look tonight for you!
 hamish2016 03 May 2007
In reply to srnet:

just tested it,
it will be fine for following a bearing as the hand glows enough.
The numbers are more difficult to read but you would need a torch for the map anyway. (numbers are black and bezel glows)

hamish
 G. Tiger, Esq. 03 May 2007
In reply to srnet:
> I have had 4 of these over the past 3 years.
>
> In each case the degree marks on the dial have come off after a very short period. I bought another new one just 6 weeks ago and it now needs replacing.

you haven't learnt your lesson then have you?
 denis b 03 May 2007
In reply to suilven:

have had similar issues with bubbles in type 4 following air flights. Now I pack the compass in a bag that I carry onboard and it travels perfectly well. The presurised cabin seems to do the trick. This may or may not be relevant/helpful.
srnet 03 May 2007
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

> you haven't learnt your lesson then have you?

Which is ?

Davy Virdee 04 May 2007
In reply to srnet:
About three years ago over a period of a year I had this happen to THREE silva type four compasses, and to another TWO the flouresent mark/dash on the housing detached itself so when you rotated the dial the mark where you read the bearing from rotated too.
With one compass, the numerals rubbed off the first time I used it in anger - in my ML assessment (ALWAY carry a spare!)

That being said, Silva replaced each one immediatly
without questions asked - in every case the replacement arrived before I'd even sent the faulty compass to them.

In the end, I now use a Suunto M5 - bigger dial, easy turn with gloves on and bigger numeral. Down side - the roamer isn't as good and there aren't lines on the base plate. My most recent type 4 so far has been well behaved.

Davy
srnet 04 May 2007
In reply to Davy Virdee:
> to another TWO the flouresent mark/dash on the housing detached itself so when you rotated the dial the mark where you read the bearing from rotated too.

That hapepned to me too, stuck it back down with superglue.

> With one compass, the numerals rubbed off the first time I used it in anger - in my ML assessment (ALWAY carry a spare!)

Yep, I have always carried a spare. These days I use my 'spare' as a cliipy type commpass, clipped onto the map in the map case. Easy to set the map that way.

> That being said, Silva replaced each one immediatly
> without questions asked - in every case the replacement arrived before I'd even sent the faulty compass to them.

I have one to go back, but I cant find it ......

> My most recent type 4 so far has been well behaved.

A local retailer, who had returned loads for this issue, has stock where the problem has been resolved.

One might think that Silva are trying to get rid of possibly faulty stock onto unsuspecting customers ......
m0unt41n 04 May 2007
In reply to srnet: I think Silva has a 5 year guarantee. A friend of mine had the same problem and had his Expedition replaced after a couple of years.
I use a Silva 1S JET which is far better (but more expensive) the magnifier is excellent, the scales much more precise and changeable, and it sets almost instantly. Although for Orienteering its just as good for normal navigation.

Other one is a Moscow 2 thumb compass. Rotating housing, very fast setting, good for ML assessment micro nav to keep track of where you are on each candidates nav leg.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...