UKC

Best prusik knot for 8.9mm rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have just purchased an 8.9mm single rope which I intend to use for glacier travel in the Alps this summer. Does anybody have a view regarding which is the best prusik knot to use with a thin rope? Based on what I have read it looks like there isn’t much difference between the different prusik knots, but I was wondering if an ordinary prusik which has better biting ability might work better with a thin rope?
 jkarran 03 May 2007
In reply to Pavement Monkey:

Thinner prusik cord might suit a thinner rope but 8.9mm isn't that thin anyway.

Why not experiment a bit, better to learn dangling from a staircase than spinning in a crevasse.

jk
 Justin T 03 May 2007

Best for what? The different knots are more for different purposes than for different ropes - some are releasable under load, some are not etc.

As above with thinner rope just use thinner cord if you're worried about it slipping. 5mm ought to be fine with anything though and still rated to about half a tonne static weight so you shouldn't have a problem.
Rock Kid 03 May 2007

Surely just increase the number of turns? I usually use a Klemheist for ascending and the standard Prussik for all other uses - works for me.

Take a look at the animated knots link on my Kids Climbing site:

http://www.kidsclimbing.co.uk/techniquesafety.asp#knots
 Reach>Talent 03 May 2007
5mm cord and the knot of your choice, should be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...