UKC

Stabbed Platypus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 absolutedanny 08 May 2007
Almost new platypus looks like it got stabbed with something no too sharp

tear/rip is appox 10mm long, with reasonably clean edges, nowhere near a seam, about 2/3 way up in the middle.

any advice for methods of fixing it, before I get the bike puncture repair kit out ??

ta
D
Tim Chappell 08 May 2007
In reply to absolutedanny:

I think you'll struggle to repair that, in plastic.

You could try asking the makers for a replacement.

Tell me I'm not being helpful, but this is why I wouldn't buy a platypus myself. Plus the tubes freeze up in winter.
 stevomcd 08 May 2007

Platypus make their own patches for this!
Tim Chappell 08 May 2007
In reply to stevomcd:

My hydration system is two 50cl bottles of Powerade, or if hot and dry four, which I drink on the way up to the last water source of the day, where I refill as many as I think I'm going to drink in the rest of the day till I reach another water source. Cheap and simple. If one leaks, the other probably won't. No hassle to repair either... and lighter and less taint-flavoured than those aluminium bottles made by SIGG...
 stevomcd 08 May 2007

Tim: I just like being able to take a drink anytime, without having to take my pack off (especially handy when taking a pack off is awkward, like while climbing or when I'm lugging my snowboard around).

I went back to bottles in winter because of the freezing-up thing, but I got a new snowboarding/winter climbing pack this year which routes the hose through the shoulder strap and that's tempted me back to the platypus. Didn't freeze up all winter.
Tim Chappell 08 May 2007
In reply to stevomcd:

OK, I'll fess up: I'm a mean scrote, and a platypus would cost money.

But apart from that, I don't mind walking up the approach with a water bottle in my hand, and once on the route, I never seem thirsty.

Not that any of this is any use to the OP <doh>
 withey 08 May 2007

Seam sealant

Grangers stuff sticks like nobody's business.
 CurlyStevo 08 May 2007
In reply to withey:
do you think that would be safe?

Seeing as the warnings on the side say it can harm your DNA or something I'd probably not use it for this purpose.
 Pete Ford 08 May 2007

Sounds terrible, stabbing a Platypus indeed, you should be reported to the RSPCA. Get it to the nearest vet...poor little thing!
Pete
 CurlyStevo 08 May 2007
In reply to Tim Chappell:

I've had my Source hydration system a year now and had no problems. It's far superiour than a bottle. For best affect water should be drunk little and often, and it's far less hassle than going through your ruck sack every time you want some liquid. I used to get dehydration headaches quite often when climbing and now I don't so it works for me!
thesiaus 08 May 2007

try the blue peter favorite... Sticky back plastic!
 coinneach 08 May 2007

I repaired my last one using one of the repair kits from a kid's paddling pool................worked a treat
 jonnie3430 08 May 2007

Use black nasty (duck tape) works a treat on mine and has been on for 21/2 years.

Jonnie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...