UKC

where to buy quickdraw retainers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
erika 08 May 2007
after reading this article:

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=269

I'm interested in adding quickdraw retainers to my extenders, but have no idea where to find them, tried google but havn't found anything yet, any ideas?

cheers.
erika 08 May 2007
In reply to plexiglass_nick:

damit, just placed an order with them, ah well least theres free delivery.

Thanks.
 IainWhitehouse 08 May 2007
In reply to erika: I'll give lamb castration rings free to anyone who asks.
Iain
task-o 08 May 2007
In reply to erika:

Just use very small elastic bands. Put them over the sling in a figure 8 and they won't come off.
 ericinbristol 08 May 2007
In reply to erika:

You probably know, but in case you don't, it really is crucial to check that these aren't accidentally clipped the wrong way with slings/long quickdraws. Because it will look okay-ish but actually the krab is only held by the rubber! I was climbing with someone in France, he clipped a bolt with one that was set up wrongly (indeed it is the kind of thing that can happen even if it is set up right in the first place with all the gear stuffed into a rucksack), sat on the rope only to plummet and break a rib and there sitting on the bolt was the krab. See
http://www.petzl.com/ProduitsServices/PS_345_1.pdf
In reply to erika: Erika, do you live in Leeds or E. Sussex? Might seem an odd question but I reckon it could be less odd than replying the nice gentleman or lady who just mailed me from east sussex with the question 'are you erika'.

Iain
 jonnie3430 08 May 2007
In reply to erika:

I've been doing that for a while, I have two 60's and two 120's, but I don't use a retainer as I prefer to be able to get the crabs off and on easily. It works really well, I don't use the 120 at full stretch a lot, but use sling/carabiner combo loads.
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to erika)
>
> I've been doing that for a while,

Me too. It's hardly a new idea - it was in a Nigel Sheppard (?) article in one the mags in the mid/late nineties and has got more and more widespread since. Adrian does explain it with unusually good diagrams though.
Iain
 Ashley 08 May 2007
In reply to erika:

Use rubber bands, it's cheaper and just as effective.
 jkarran 08 May 2007
In reply to erika:

O-rings - engineering supplies stores or plumbing suppliers.

jk
sam the man 08 May 2007
In reply to erika: Talking of lamb castration rings-when I was working on a farm in NZ I heard a story about a friend of the famer. On his stag do the night before the wedding he had one of these applied to him as a joke for about a minute. Lets just say that whilst 'it' remained attached, neither the bride nor groom had much fun on the wedding night. Nor for the rest of the marrige.
There's a lesson to be learnt in there somewhere. Oh yes, when your friends try to castrate you don't let them-it might turn out badly.
Sam
erika 08 May 2007
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

I'm from / in Leeds
 Martin W 08 May 2007
In reply to erika: The Petzl string is ridiculously overpriced and vastly more complicated than it needs to be to do the job that's required. A suitably-sized O-ring will do the job, and should be a lot cheaper if you source them from the right supplier (ie not B&Q). The "official" ones that Wild Country used to supply were about 33mm diameter, 2mm thick. O-rings are better than rubber bands because they're much less prone to perishing (which is also why they work well as sheep castration rings).
erika 08 May 2007
In reply to Martin W:

I'm a little confused how you would use an 'o' ring for this purpose, could someone explain this for me,

Thanks.
Vilya 09 May 2007
In reply to plexiglass_nick:
> (In reply to erika)
>
> Needlesports sell em

At a high price, no doubt. A Corde#lette can be bought in Decthlon for a fiver, not the 20 pounds they wnat.
 bluebrad 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:

If you look at the pictures on the link you have provided then it should be fairly obvious.

Feed the end of the sling through the O ring and then clip the 'biner into one the ends and roll the O ring down to the end that the 'biner is clipped into and job done.

I found that the hardest bit was getting the O ring onto the sling but I use castration rings for this purpose and they have to be tight.

bluebrad
erika 09 May 2007
In reply to Vilya:

I can't find the cordelete you mentin can you please provide a link to the item or section,

many thanks.
erika 09 May 2007
In reply to bluebrad:

oh I see you just push them down to lock the sling in place, using this method though is there not a risk of the tight 'o' rings causing damage, even if only slight to the sling ?
 bluebrad 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:

The O ring can't cause any damage to the sling as it is not moving and IMO slings are often subjected to a lot more severe treatment than being slightly crushed by a tight rubber ring without people thinking anything of it.

bluebrad
 Jamesclimb 09 May 2007
In reply to erika: I'm sure i got some from planetfear in november, also think outside sell them.

bluebrad 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:

The cordlette Vilya is referring to this: http://tinyurl.com/34a6e3

However Andy Kirkpatrick suggests using a length of 7mm cord tied with a triple fishermans knot: http://tinyurl.com/ypelbk which is a solution I favour as it gives you more options. You could also create a Snake Sling: http://tinyurl.com/2bm8wh which is just a variation on the theme.

bluebrad
erika 09 May 2007
In reply to bluebrad:

it was mentioned at being sold for £5 though, and it was that one i couldn't find on the Decathlon site? relised they don't accept web orders anyway, so no issue.

Seems like a worthwhile trip to Shefield though to check out there nearest store.
 Martin W 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:

> I'm a little confused how you would use an 'o' ring for this purpose, could someone explain this for me,

Basically you lark's foot it around the krab, trapping the sling in the process. It's better than just slipping a smaller o-ring or rubber band down the sling until it's snug to the krab IMHO because it can't slip back up and come loose. That description probably doesn't help to understand how you get it in to that configuration, though. Try this:
- put one end of sling through o-ring
- clip krab through end of sling poking through o-ring
- slip finger through one side of the o-ring and pull it around the krab
- thread the free end of the sling through the end of the o-ring that you've pulled round the krab
- pull the sling tight, being a little careful as the bar tacks pull through the o-ring
- wiggle the sling around a bit and tug on it a few times to make sure everything is seated tidily and pointing the right way
- the o-ring should now be snug but not too tight on both the krab and the sling, and not going anywhere.
That makes it sound a long-winded process but it actually takes just a few seconds when you've got it sussed.

Have a look at any Wild Country quickdraw in a shop and you should be able to see how they use an o-ring in this way. You can try out the fitting technique using a rubber band before you decide shell out on o-rings.
 davek 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:

Not sure hoe the extra long sling got involved in this discussion but I'll sell you one for £7.50 posted in VG / Excellent condition if you want. I bought it for setting up belays but hardly ever use it.
Davek
 IainWhitehouse 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:
> (In reply to IainWhitehouse)
>
> I'm from / in Leeds

Not you that mailed me then. I should have worked it out from the profile name in the email but sometimes I'm not too bright.
 IainWhitehouse 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:
> (In reply to bluebrad)

> Seems like a worthwhile trip to Shefield though to check out there nearest store.

Or to go into any of the excellent climbing shops in Sheffield?
 simonzxr 09 May 2007
In reply to erika:

Try ebay....they're being sold on there- search for "karabiner retainer"
noxious 10 May 2007
In reply to erika:

Cross cut MTB innertube. Lasts longer than the o-rings I tired and you can get hundreds out of one old tube!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...