UKC

Starting out in business- Design and Marketing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tree 15 May 2007
Hi
I'm in the process of setting up on my own after a not too pleasant experience at work. Like many designers (graphic) I work freelance in the evenings anyway, but have now decided to make it full time.
Any one out there done this already, and can give me advice?
Cheeers
Tree
 CarolineMc 15 May 2007
In reply to Tree: I made the jump five years ago... it's great working for yourself - no stupid bosses whinging at you all day, although stupid clients make up for that! You will end up working long hours, going stir crazy sometimes through lack of human contact. Having noone to bounce ideas off takes some getting used to too. However, you can take time out when you want to, and not feel guilty if you're late into the office! Be aware of the amount of outgoings you're now going to have to cover - personal and business. Such as upgrading your Mac every three years or so, buying new software, keeping a buffer to pay print bills when the client is late coughing up for their invoice, plus giving yourself a salary every month. It' takes some time to build momentum.

Apart from all that, enjoy it and try not to get too stressed.

C-:
 niggle 15 May 2007
In reply to Tree:

Depends where your strengths lie.

You could be the best designer in the world but if your networking skills suck, you're doomed to failure, and vice versa.

Your most important task is to find a way to generate new business. There are lots of ways to do this if you're not that experienced in business but you'll have to pay for it.

My best advice to you would be to get a couple of big cash cow clients to generate reliable but boring repeat business and then you can play with 1 job clients that are more exciting.

Good luck!
 AdrianC 15 May 2007
In reply to niggle: Am also self-employed although in a different line of business.

I agree with Niggle - your number one priority is ensuring you have enough new business coming your way. Repeat business is by far the best because it will not cost you much time or money to get. The next best thing is personal contacts - keep in touch with people you meet and make sure you network.

If you can make it work it does give you good freedom.
 CJD 15 May 2007
In reply to Tree:

hello

I work in the creative industries, in a capacity that develops networks, grows businesses and that sort of thing, and I'd add to the advice about getting your name (and work!) known. take advantage of any free business support/memtoring etc etc that might be around, so you can get on with the designing.

I might have some more intelligent thoughts but will email those to you.

OP Tree 15 May 2007
In reply to CJD: Cheers. Will look forward to hearing them. Regular 'boring' work is, as always, the bread and butter, tho.
Tree
 Ian McNeill 15 May 2007
In reply to Tree:

you could try this site
http://programmermeetdesigner.com/
Nick B not logged on 15 May 2007
In reply to Tree: Sort out your banking and how you will resolve cash flow issues, as your comments on the bank charges thread suggest you are something of an innocent when it comes to banks.
OP Tree 15 May 2007
In reply to Nick B not logged on: Sorry 'bout that- just trolling (bit of spare time at the mo!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...