UKC

More rocket science from the UIAA, BMC, MCofS etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 09 Sep 2002
Apparently the 14-15th September is a 'UIAA Mountain Protection day'.
You might ask how our precious weekend has been reduced to one day by the UIAA, you might also ask what is it all about?

According to the press release:

"The [various councils - Ed] are calling on all hillwalkers and climbers to Act positively for the Mountains on the international Mountain Protection Days over the weekend of September 14th and 15th."

Sounds good. Tell us more...

"Mountain Protection Days is a worldwide series of events being planned as part of the International Year of Mountains (IYM). The three Mountaineering Councils in Britain and Ireland are working together to co-ordinate the contribution to the international effort from these islands."

What's the message to all us climbers, mountaineers and hillwalkers?

"The message from the BMC, MCofI and MCofS is that mountaineers can take positive action on Mountain Protection Days in five easy ways:
1. Simply removing at least one piece of litter from a mountain or crag.

Good idea, that planning is paying off already.

2. Reducing car dependency by making use of public, or alternative, transport to get to the mountains, or whilst in a mountain area.

Like a Stanage bus?

3. Taking a photograph on the weekend and entering the Mountain Protection Days Photographic Competition.

Cool, what are the prizes [see below - Ed]

4. Joining your national mountaineering body, if not already a member, and thereby supporting them in their ongoing mountain protection work.

OK.

5. Supporting a conservation organisation such as the Access & Conservation Trust, either financially or practically.

OK.

"BMC President, Dave Musgrove, said The 3 home nation mountaineering councils have long worked together for the direct benefit of climbers, hillwalkers and mountaineers. This initiative is aimed primarily at benefiting the very environment we use and enjoy but often take for granted. Mountains evolve and then crumble and erode naturally over millennia but there is no doubt that without sensitive awareness our presence and pollution hastens that process considerably."

Chair of the MCofI Executive Committee, Peter ONeill, said: Let us make the International Mountain Protection days the starting point for an ongoing effort to protect our mountain environment.

MCofS President, Pete Hill, said: The great thing about Mountain Protection Days is that everyone can do something. Everyone who has a concern for our mountain environment has the opportunity to feel connected with this worldwide event and make their personal contribution."

Right on. So what about that photo comp?

The Mountain Protection Days Photographic Competition is on the theme of Good, Bad and Ugly, with the senders of the three best entries each receiving a copy of the Adventure Yearbook 2003. A fitting prize, the Adventure Yearbook features stunning photographs from around the world and will inspire you in the year to come.

A fitting prize indeed. LOL!

BTW, having browsed the BMC website, I couldn't find anything about 'UIAA Mountain Protection Day' (maybe it's a hoax?)
 alex 09 Sep 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

...don't think it was a hoax - can't seem to ftp at the moment, and think I've got a page on that to pop up...
 Rob Naylor 09 Sep 2002

'snot a hoax, but given the BMC's recent server hiatuses, you shouldn't expect to see a lot up there.

If it had been April 1, though, I'd've been very suspicious.
Andy Macpherson at home 09 Sep 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Not a hoax, it was me who sent this item to the "news" page on the basis that Mountain Protection Days share the same goals as International Year of Mountains. There's a link on the Mountaineering Council of Scotland site at http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/access/protection.html

which is pretty similar to the press release quoted above, and also the rules for the competition. The UIAA are also offering a "special IYM 2002 prize" for the country that does most to celebrate the Mountain Protection Day(s) as at http://www.uiaa.ch/news/newsitem.asp?idnews=213

OK, so the prize isn't the big deal here, rather it is another attempt by various people, this time the three Mountaineering Councils and the UIAA, to put across the message that the mountain environment is something worth caring about. Not always headline grabbing material, so thanks to Tom for the imaginative title!

On the subject of incentives for conservation, as part of the Scottish International Year of Mountains project I have a small budget for grants for events in Scotland that support sustainable development in mountain areas, including walking and climbing oriented events. You can see a bit more detail about this at http://www.iym.uhi.ac.uk/news.htm#grants

If you're interested in putting an event together, email me or give me a call - full contact details are on the iym site above.

Andy

Mark Stevenson 09 Sep 2002
>1. Simply removing at least one piece of litter from a mountain or crag.

Or in the case of Almscliff last time I was there a black bin liner full. Perhaps a bit of a cleanup could be in order at the next RT picnics??

Mark
OP Tom Briggs 10 Sep 2002
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Good idea Mark. What happened to crag cleanups? I haven't heard of one in my local area (Peak) for a long while. Outside used to sponsor it I think.

Andy -

Surely you can understand why I'm having a pop at this? The 'meet the BMC weekend' was a good idea, but this 'Mountain Protection Day' isn't anything. It's just a hyped up press release. If there were events (e.g. coordinated crag clean ups around the country/world) then fair enough. But this is the first I've heard of it, it's this weekend and there's nothing on the BMC site about it.
Big C 10 Sep 2002

"4. Joining your national mountaineering body, if not already a member, and thereby supporting them in their ongoing mountain protection work."

Perhaps it's some sort of desperate attempt to increase flagging membership. Or am I just being cynical again?
Andy Macpherson 10 Sep 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: In this case it's the mountaineering councils putting out a press release about a UIAA idea, so personally I don't view it as the mountaineering councils simply promoting themselves.

All of these sort of things rely to a greater or lesser on voluntary effort, so anyone who wonders why things like crag cleanups don't take place more often could think about taking an active role.

But for anyone near the Cobbler, BTCV Scotland are running a "Cobbler Conservation Challenge" on (no surprise here) the Cobbler. The main theme of the weekend is footpath maintenance with about 70 experienced pathworkers on hand to supervise volunteers. Anyone interested can simply turn up at Ardgarten campsite from 9.30 onwards on either or both days and there is a barbie on the Saturday evening. More info on http://www.iym.uhi.ac.uk/news.htm#cobblerchallenge

or phone BTCV on 01786 479697

Andy
 alex 10 Sep 2002
In reply to Andy Macpherson:

wow. finally managed to ftp -

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/world/intern/mountain_days.htm

Graham at the BMC 11 Sep 2002
Blasted cynics! I see the point about it not being a concurrent series events this w/e - but the message in this case is the old 'think globally, act locally' one. You can have loads of big events on one day, but to make a real change you need to change people's everyday actions. Yes, picking up litter and using public transport where possible isn't rocket science, but when you see the amount of rubbish at some crags you do wonder. Doesn't do any harm to keep reminding people.

Mountain Protection Days are an ongoing thing so maybe concerted crag clean up days for next year could be the start?

Technical points - yes we've had difficulties lately with the BMC website. Plus, your news e-mail does not seem to be working, I keep getting delay messages back. If it did work you'd have heard about this last week.

And for those still cynical - the real rocket science was in arranging the good weather for this weekend
Ed Douglas 11 Sep 2002
In reply to Graham at the BMC:
But Graham, why was the press release issued on the Monday before the event?! It seems a missed opportunity. IYM2002 has passed the British climbing community by, as far as I can see.

Did you arrange today's sunshine as well?

Ed
OP Tom Briggs 12 Sep 2002
In reply to Graham at the BMC:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)
> Blasted cynics!

Sorry Graham, it's hard not to be. IYM looks like a missed opportunity to confront some specific and relevant issues here in the UK. One that cropped up last weekend when I was attending an SPA course was where to sh*t & p*ss in the woods? A completely fudged issue from what I can work out. The BMC owned Whillans hut at the Roaches has toilets, but where do the hundreds of crag visitors crap? What's the BMC's policy on this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...