UKC

Crux flack jacket opinions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
oyon 16 May 2007
Anyone got any thoughts on a crux flak jacket? Seems bloody amazing to me; lightweight, hard as nails, simple as hell mountain jacket with a stiff, bombproof hood. The sizing is cool, though a bit on the large side. Normally take a medium/large but reckon I could put a medium over my extreme smock just about. Seemed to have increadibly long sleeves too?

I'm not going to be mixed climbing or anything, but it seems a very good all-round jacket to replace my 9 year old goretex £200 is steep mind.
 NathanP 16 May 2007
In reply to oyon:

With all the experience of a few minutes looking at one in the shop yesterday, was put off by the lack of hand warmer pockets for that long slog up to the CIC hut in the drizzle.

How about the new RAB Super Dru? I thought that looked interesting too.
oyon 16 May 2007
In reply to NathanP: Yeah, tried that on too, very nice fit (quite a lot tighter in a medium) and not quite as minimalist but the hood was really too floppy for me.

I don't understand it, I know these things are billed as lightweight mountaineering jackets, but I'm sure that even in the Alps in the middle of summer, they have rain/wind that goes in directions other than straight down.

I guess I might be a little more sensitive to this than others because I wear glasses (can't do contacts) but still...

I don't get enough hill time to justify a jacket like the crux unless it will last me a very long time (it looks like it really would...) Any others I should look at? I always used to be envious of the MacPac ones; they any good these days?
 KeithWakeley 16 May 2007
In reply to oyon:

Very very good, 2nd best bit of kit I own (1st being Rab Vapourise Smock)

Has all you need (put hands in trouser pockets if you get cold hands) and nothing you don't. £200 not that steep when you look at the top end Jackets from the other manufacturers. And if your a BMC member or Stoodent you could probably get 10% off that so actually £180.

I find the fit is great, light but bomb proof and has an excellent hood. Pockets take map, compas spare gloves, marsbars and all the other crap I seem to carry with ease.

I like the straigh forward construction, no pointless seams for different coloured fabrics, and due to the construction of the pockets only 2 layers of fabric on the chest unlike the 3 4 or 5 on other jackets with multiple pockets. Basically can't fault it.

K
 Wee Davie 16 May 2007
In reply to NathanP:

>lack of hand warmer pockets

One word, GLOVES.

To the OP-

Why do you want a technical winter/ alpine jacket if you're not going to use it for it's intended purpose?

Davie
oyon 16 May 2007
In reply to Wee Davie: Fair question I guess, but I just want a hardwearing shell with a closer, shorter fit than most generalist jackets give. I can only afford one, so it'll have to do mountain biking in the rain, climbing, scrambling, snowboarding as well as sitting around on hills in wales waiting for DoE kids. Maybe it'll get used in real-big-hills(tm) in a few years if I'm lucky...

Ridge 16 May 2007
In reply to oyon:

Good, close fit shell would be Rab Corrie. Cheap too.
 t0mb0 16 May 2007
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to oyon)
>
> Good, close fit shell would be Rab Corrie. Cheap too.

Mine's a bit too close fitting under the arms. Fine with just a tshirt underneath but not so good with a fleece or something. It fits me everywhere else though, rab sizing and fit can be a bit strange...
 ROB W 17 May 2007
In reply to oyon:
i have a crux jkt wich I have been using since the start of June last year,I'm a Guide so the jkt has seen alot of use.Its been used in the Alps summer and winter,scotish mixed,and Alps ski touring,and its about to go back out to the alps soon for another stint.

size wise I have had to go for a small,as they do over size them,but that is about to change with there new run of these jkts and they will be producing a small.as they did,nt before ,the new 'er ones will have a different fabric,and slight changes in design.but other than that they will still be top notch.

Have used the Rab Super Dru,liked it very much,got fit for me.in medium,I,m a lanky 6 footer.and very light,hood is big,but will fit over a helmet.pockets good and do the job.
As with most of these things its all very personel,keep on trying the jkts on,and look at what your going to use it for and what feature's you do REALY need in the jkt.Good Luck
oyon 27 May 2007
In reply to oyon: Well, I'm banking on getting some backpay this month so I went to snow and rock and got it. 180 quid including discount.

It's amazing. Size small (which they reckon is a 32-36inch chest; I'm about a 40!) but fits over my montane extreme smock without too much bother. Seems way less hot and clammy than goretex so I'm fairly chuffed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...