UKC

Best low light performance for Sub £200 digi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi

What are peoples thoughts on a decent compact digital for low light shots. I have had a Konica KD510z/Dimage 500, which was perfect , but sadly fell over and died .

I bought a Olympus Mju verve S as it seemed ideal for taking on trips, and whilst it was pretty good for daylight shots , its low light performance was shocking as was its ability to deal with high contrast

DSLR not really an option for me, but would like a robust compact digi to take cimbing to capture those great shots from early Alpine starts.

Small want list - 5 - 7 Mega pixels, compact, low light performance, less than £200 - card compatability would be

Any suggestions ?

Regards IIM
In reply to industrialiceman: I'd like to find one as well (for taking up multi-pitch climbs). Not even low light (ISO800 and upwards), but the ISO200/400 performance of most digital compacts is just terrible
 Liam M 17 May 2007
In reply to industrialiceman: I'm sure when I was looking at the reviews of the fuji f30 one of the things noted was it's low light level performance, and that it had reasonably low noise etc. at ISO800 and occasionally even higher. I don't know much about cameras but it might be worth checking out.
aesoapy 17 May 2007
In reply to industrialiceman:

fuji f31
 TN 17 May 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

My Panasonic TZ1 is fine in decent light - the colours and clarity are really good - but it is truly shocking in low light.

In reply to the OP:

That's the only criticism I have of my camera and I would specifically 'un-recommend' it if you're even remotely likely to need it for low light photos.
(I think a non-recommendation can often be just as helpful as a positive recommendation!)
 dek 17 May 2007
In reply to industrialiceman: This is one of the few compacts recommended for 'low light' at a good price, read the conclusion to check it! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/
In reply to dek: Thanks all for advice . I have read so many reviews, starting to get overload! Good old fashioned user experience is more helpful.

Any 'un recomendations' are just as helpful - thanks for contribution.

F31 looks interesting? Anyone experience in the Canon range

Cheers IIM

london_huddy 17 May 2007
My old Canon G3 was pretty good.

Panasonic FZ5 which replaced it afterit was nicked is not great except in good light.
 nick nc 17 May 2007
 nick nc 17 May 2007
In reply to nick nc: Oh yeah. It is sub-£200. I bought mine for £199.95
In reply to nick nc:

Thats the sort of quality I want back ! Trust me thats about 100 x better than the olympus that I have .

Nice work, will add A710 to short list.

IIM
 london_huddy 17 May 2007
 James Rowe 17 May 2007

I'd second with F31fd - though strictly speaking its just over £200!

Trouble is, it really struggles to focus in really low light if there's anything reflective about - it gets very confused, poor thing, when it turns it's own illuminator on.

James.
 ebygomm 17 May 2007
In reply to James Rowe:

> I'd second with F31fd - though strictly speaking its just over £200!

It's £135 on amazon

I'm looking at selling my f10 to my sister and getting either this or the F30, seem to remember reading a review that suggest the F31d isn't any improvement on the f30.

I do love my camera though and I think i'd feel guilty giving it away :-S
 dek 17 May 2007
In reply to ebygomm: £145 ish last time i looked in Jessops. The canon A710 is, has £50 'cashback' so around the same price?
 James Rowe 17 May 2007
In reply to ebygomm:

F30 isn't produced anymore & neither's the F20 - the F31 seems to be the replacement for both.

Cool,

James.
 ebygomm 17 May 2007
In reply to James Rowe:

You can still buy the F30 though
 davidwright 17 May 2007
In reply to industrialiceman: Very easy to take a guess at the low light performance of a camera you are looking for one with a large diameter lens. This is made even worse by the small sensor size of most digital cameras meaning even less light gets to the chip. The CCD chips do varry but there is only so much you can do with the light availible. The mju being particularly bad in this regard.

I used to have a 35mm samsung that was very good in just this catogry but I would be trying to find a camera that is about the same size as the old 35mm compacts with a decent lens size. there is only so much you can do to make a camera smaller and keep it effective eventualy the designers and the punters will realise this and the size will bounce back up a bit
In reply to davidwright: I'm no camera buff, your assesment fits my experience! My first digital was a Kodak 4800 zoom at 3 MP and had a huge body and lens, some of the best ever low light shots I've had. Subsequent cameras have been smaller and less able to cope, the Mju is just terrible looks like it has been taken on 1 mp camera phone .

Thanks IIM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...