UKC

Conville Course Chamonix 27-28th June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sargy 22 May 2007
Hi,

is anyone else going on Course B, 27-29th June? Fancy having a chat about getting there?

Tom.
bozle 22 May 2007
Before I found I was only on the reserve list I was planning on national express- more expensive than an air deal but with no transfer fee to chamonix.
 jamescoll 22 May 2007
In reply to sargy: A mate of mine is on Course B. Have forwarded him the link to this thread.

I'm on course I 22nd - 24th July. Will be in Cham from 15th though with a couple of mates if any one else wants to meet up!
 Pieky 22 May 2007
In reply to sargy:
Hi yeh im on that course. Where abouts are you from? I'm near Manchester so likely to get flight down then train or bus it.

Chris
 billy.granty 22 May 2007
In reply to jamescoll: im looking for partners or just groups to rope up with if your going for big easy summits.
GregGrace 22 May 2007
In reply to Pieky:

I'd recommend getting a transfer from the airport - works out at about 50 quid return but it's worth it - Getting to Chamonix by public transport from Geneva is a nightmare!

Cham Express are very good - www.chamexpress.com
GregGrace 22 May 2007
In reply to sargy:

Tom,

My mate Alex is on that conville course - he's flying out from Gatwick on the 25th June with another friend, and I'm getting a flight from Liverpool and meeting them at Geneva Airport.

I did a Conville Course last year - if you want any info about anything feel free to email me.

We're staying at Les Chosalets - there will be a few of us from Leeds Uni out there for about a month so i'm sure there will be people to climb with afterwards!

Greg
 AlexLeedsN 23 May 2007
Hey Tom,

I'm on that course - As Greg says, we're gonna be in Chamonix area from the 25th, flying out the same day

Alex
 Han_3 23 May 2007
Anyone on the July 8-10th course?

How does the accommodation thing work - if i'm camping at Les Chosolets then do I leave any extra gear there while im off at the glacier/ huts?

Han

GregGrace 23 May 2007
In reply to Han_3:

Yeah you do - Bit of a risk I suppose but didn't have any problems last year. wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll have most of your valuable stuff with you anyway. Just don't leave your passport and masses of cash visible!
OP sargy 23 May 2007
In reply to AlexLeedsN:
Cool! I'm a UCLAN student based in Penrith in Cumbria. I've a couple of options for travelling down, I'm thinking of either flying down from Manchester/Liverpool with a mate who is on Course A, flying out from Luton- my local airport when at home, or if I can fill my car I might drive- it would save hassle with transfers, but would obviously take longer. Flying from Luton sounds like a winner at the moment.

Just out of interest, what kind of grade and experience do you all have? I have it on good authority that the IFMG who will be there at the end of June is Chris Forrest- a very nice guy if any of you have ever met him.
OP sargy 23 May 2007
In reply to sargy:

so me, Alex and Pieky then? (instructor ratio 1:3)
GregGrace 23 May 2007
In reply to sargy:

There will be 9 of you on the course if it's the same as last time - they split you up into 3 groups to get 3:1 ratio like you say.

If you are lucky enough to climb with Chris Forrest you'll have a great time - I was with him last year and thoroughly enjoyed it! Having said that they're all amazing guys so you'll love it no matter who your guide is!
I'm on the course the 29th-31st and am hoping to stay a couple of extra days to put my new skills into practise.

If anyone will be around then and would be up for doing anything, give me an email, as I'm going to book my flights soon.
 skolvikking 23 May 2007
In reply to sargy: hi everyone, Im on the course on the 25th to 27th of July

I dont know anyone else who is going but it would be crazy not to stick around there for a few extra days at least to get some more summits in.

In terms of experience, nothing icy but ive done a bit of trad a few sport holidays and climbed the puig in costa blanca.

Im leaning torwards getting the national express at the minute although the lenght of journey is a bit of an issue!

Matt
Okay, I'm planning on staying until the 5th August, so will be free from the afternoon of the 31st July until early afternoon 5th August. I'm up for easy summits and general good routes. If anyone has a group I could join, or wants to pair up, let me know.
 Pieky 24 May 2007
If anyones going from manchester for 27-29th i might have to take my 4 man tent so rather than bringing your own we could share that.
OP sargy 24 May 2007
In reply to GregGrace:

OK, my mistake. I have had the pleasure of Chris Forrest's company on a couple of trips- a week in Rjukan ice climbing in February, and last week I was sea kayaking with him around Anglesey. A very nice guy!
wilson851 29 May 2007
In reply to sargy: Sargy...who are you, I go to Penrith too, thought it would tell me who you were when i clicked on your name but it didnt? A good way to get to cham from geneva is the train, costs about 20 quid rtn and is a nice way to get in to the valley...worth a look if you can get cheap flights to geneva. Me and a friend are going out there on the 18th June, my mate is on conville B.
peter stollery 29 May 2007
In reply to sargy: hi ever one i am a uclan student and i am out on coures (J) 25th 27th july would be good to have a chat with the people i am going to be with and i am staying out there for about three week after if any one is staying out
 Panda 29 May 2007
In reply to peter stollery: am on the 29th july-31st july course but staying out till sunday 5th august... would be interested in doing something afterwards...
OP sargy 30 May 2007
In reply to wilson851:

I'm Tom Sargeant in the 1st year. So is the illustrious Peter Stollery who has appeared on this thread. I've just finshed my SPA training today, so I'll be super hot- slick and safe (yeah right!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...