UKC

Coffee As A Bronchodilator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 omerta 24 May 2007
I've got bronchitis - possibly why I've just posted a vaguely illiterate rant about uploading photographs - and remember reading somewhere that coffee acts as a bronchodilator, relieving the symptoms of anything chesty. It's also why a fag and a mug of coffee seem to go hand in hand, one subtly and unknowingly relieving the stress that the other induces. Anyway, does anyone know this to be slightly more factual than the version I've heard...? I don't like drinking it, you see, but with (relatively) hard evidence, I might go to Tesco now and buy a jar....
brothersoulshine 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Caffeine is similar to theophilline, a drug sometimes used as a bronchodilator.
 Ashley 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:
> I might go to Tesco now and buy a jar....

If you're going to force yourself to drink coffee then don't go drinking any of that instant filth, get some fresh beans, much tastier

Pauline 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: we use really strong cofee as an emergency alternative to the kids ventolin if he hasnt got his inhalor on him and he has an asthma attack. It isnt the best but it does have some effect
 woolsack 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: What effect does alcohol have on your 'bronchials'?
trevor simpson 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

not sure about coffee itself, but your could adapt a cafetiere for use as an artificial lung?
Deejay 24 May 2007
noob error 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Apparently adrenaline is a vasodilator also -- do you think that means that scary movies and tickets for Alton Towers could be offered on the NHS?
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79:

Caffeine is a bronchodilator and used be used experimentally until better ones were found. I'm not sure whether instant coffee would have a enough to do much good.

Then again, I should think that inhaling just about any hot liquid would shift most chesty secretions.
In reply to noob error:
> (In reply to sarah79)
>
> Apparently adrenaline is a vasodilator also

er, no, I don't think it is. It does work as a bronchodilator, as well as some other stuff.

noob error 24 May 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:
> (In reply to noob error)
> [...]
>
> er, no, I don't think it is. It does work as a bronchodilator, as well as some other stuff.

I meant bronchodilator -- my mistake sorry!
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2007
In reply to brothersoulshine:
> (In reply to noob error)
> [...]
>
> er, no, I don't think it is. It does work as a bronchodilator, as well as some other stuff.

Well, it is and it isn't, but beside the point.
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Tell us what you mean. I know it's beside the point, but also a bit interesting to me.
Deejay 24 May 2007
In reply to noob error:

Adrenaline is a bronchodilator but acts as a vasoconstrictor too. It's properties as a bronchodilator and vasoconstrictor (short acting beta2 antagonist)are not however any greater than, e.g. salbutamol, but do make it particularly good for the treatment of anaphylactic shock and in local anaesthesia.

DJ
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2007
In reply to Deejay:

There, that's what I meant. By shutting down some blood vessels it also tends to divert blood flow to others.
Deejay 24 May 2007

Also raises blood pressure, increases heart rate.

DJ
noob error 24 May 2007
In reply to Deejay:

Nevertheless, riding the rollercoaster has got to be a lot more fun than chugging on ventolin? ; )

Oh, I see where you're coming from.
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2007
In reply to Deejay:

Actually, I have personal experience of its combined peripheral vasoconstrictive and bronchodilatory powers. I was once driving late at night with a stinking head cold and sinusitis. I unexpectedly hit a sheet of water at some speed, which was quite exciting. Apart from instantly waking me up, the adrenaline (and, I'm sure, several other things) caused an almost miraculous clearing of my nose and breathing. Isn't Physiology marvellous?
Deejay 24 May 2007
In reply to noob error:

Not if you can't breathe and know there's a chance you may die.

DJ
 AG 24 May 2007
In reply to sarah79: weed is also a bronchodilator...as long as it's not smoked with tobacco.
noob error 24 May 2007

Wow!
noob error 24 May 2007
In reply to Deejay:

Could you just pretend I said something witty and delightful?

I'm having a tough time turning 'asthmatics choking to death' into a joke.
Deejay 24 May 2007
In reply to noob error:

lol,

Not really. Asphyxiation due to asthma isn't funny for either the casualty or bystanders; in the same way that death during a seizure isn't funny (so much for the "throw the washing in with 'em" joke!).

Fat greedy man dying under the coke machine which has crushed him whilst he was trying to nick a coke - that's funny in a kind of ironic way (check out Darwin Awards).

DJ

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...