UKC

Slipstones or Brimham?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duz Walker 30 May 2007
Looking for all the right ingredients for a "lads weekend" with campsite, rocks, golf (really, 9 holes will do), good pub etc.

Thinking of Masham or Pateley Bridge. Have any locals any insight they could kindly offer?

Marts 30 May 2007
In reply to Duz Walker: Had a trip to Slipstones a few weeks ago, got pretty 'tasty' in town when the local lads realised we werent' locals after many beers about 11pm. Quite funny, the lasses jump on you (lovingly) the lads wana lamp ya (in a different way) and the camp site a good hour up the road after several ales and malts. All in all, a good weekend.
 Simon 30 May 2007
In reply to Duz Walker:
> Looking for all the right ingredients for a "lads weekend" with campsite, rocks, golf (really, 9 holes will do), good pub etc.
>
> Thinking of Masham or Pateley Bridge. Have any locals any insight they could kindly offer?

Hi J

The Black Swan near Masham is a great base for antics in N Yorks.

http://www.blackswanholiday.co.uk/

Its 2 mins from Slipstones and has a great Campsite.

Pubs V freindly and the last time we went a few weeks ago we had a wee lock in!

Plus near by is

http://www.mashamgolfclub.co.uk/

Sounds good? Slipstones is the best grit in the world as well!!!

I need a few piccys up / stuff to do up there soon if you are going from Sheff to blag a lift??

Cheers

Si
OP Duz Walker 30 May 2007
In reply to Simon:

Cheers for that. You have mail.
Marts 30 May 2007
In reply to Simon: You cant fall off at slipstones, it crazy shit. We went on a mental windy weekend and still did loads of 'on grade'stuff we would never have done on owt else!

BTW. try the wall up the enclosed bit, up top end, righthand wall must be about E2/E3 lefthand wall easier on HVS/E1, seem alot easier once commited. I like the place but very very short.
 Simon 30 May 2007
In reply to Marts:

The new guide is out this year:

http://www.rockfax.com/publications/books/item.php?id=134

Post on the database mate - all grade issues will be looked at as I agree - there are some "issues" on some of the routes!!

;0)

Si
00spaw 31 May 2007
In reply to Duz Walker: slipstones
Yrmenlaf 31 May 2007
In reply to 00spaw:

Masham has two breweries and Slipstones.

It used to have a shop that sold very little except chocolate and cheese: they have diluted their product range somewhat, I am afraid.

Y.
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Simon: Are you agreeing with me that some slipstuff is pretty easy for the grade compared with......?
 Simon 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts:
> (In reply to Simon) Are you agreeing with me that some slipstuff is pretty easy for the grade compared with......?

Well yes... and no..

Depends on which guide ya referring to?

Si
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Simon: I've enjoyed the climbing there, the bouldering is insane, some very classic stuff to look at. Down the farend though???????? Alot of the grades that weren't VS, S or VD seemed a bit random. I came across an HVS that was probably a diff, a severe that deserved a HVS without doubt, and some of the E grades between E1 and E3 seemed very misplaced. IMO.
I'm only talking the west end mind the rest were fine. I found it fun as a f*ck in a funny suit but were the only only ones left after 4pm due to mad weather. Wicked crag mate!
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Simon: Guide? we checked out another lads guide,(not sure which) after climbing. Think he was happy as he joined us on some of the higher highballs he was doing. Fantastic climber mind, (If your out there mate, hope to exchange ideas again someday, marts and Fin). Great stuff.

Simon 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts:

Cool -

But:

Depends on which guide ya referring to?

;0)
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Simon: Yeh I know! I'll check out the new guide and see what the score is. Any chance you know the crack on the 2 routes mentioned above? Do you know what ones I'm on about.
I think was a 2 or 3 star mantel inbetween them.
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts: with a little cave and a matress in it underneath. Looks like lots of summer dope been smoked in there!
 Simon 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts:

Check my piccys on my commercial profile (Climbing)

There might be a pic of where you mean.

Can't send the PDF file yet as its in progress fraid - does the yorkshire grit guide pertain to the probs?

( not the twins area is it?)

Si
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Simon: Found them mate;
Forever Onward
The centre of the right wall to a high crux. E1 5c
Timeless Divide
The arete is V2 with mats, a right-hand start is V5.

Andy S 31 May 2007
In reply to Duz Walker: Having read through the thread, and having been to Slipstones and Brimham many times, I reckon a Slipstones trip would be a much more interesting choice. Small villages in the middle of nowhere can provide many an interesting and entertaining memory and story!
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Andy S:
> (In reply to Duz Walker) Having read through the thread, and having been to Slipstones and Brimham many times, I reckon a Slipstones trip would be a much more interesting choice. Small villages in the middle of nowhere can provide many an interesting and entertaining memory and story!

Listen to the man, its fun. And the women are gagging!!The ales great. what else?
 Simon 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts:
> (In reply to Andy S)
> [...]
>
> Listen to the man, its fun. And the women are gagging!!

They all had wooden teeth, permanent fags in gob and heads like overipe spuds when I've been up there ...

I ran away!

;0)

Simon 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts:

Get on Steptoe (nails) - Tiptoe - (makes me grin everytime)
Ripper (nails) Right Hand Twin - (scary topper but ace...)

Then there is Sulky Lil Boys - and the Tea Party Slab area- all great stuff!

Si
OP Duz Walker 31 May 2007
In reply to Duz Walker:

Excellent info fellas. Stories of salivating females, drugs, breweries, quality grit and random grades - the National Trust make no mention of these essential criteria on their Brimham site.

Slipstones it is!
Marts 31 May 2007
In reply to Duz Walker:
> (In reply to Duz Walker)
>
> Excellent info fellas. Stories of salivating females, drugs, breweries, quality grit and random grades - the National Trust make no mention of these essential criteria on their Brimham site.
>
> Slipstones it is!

LOL, like it!!!
 jkarran 31 May 2007
In reply to Marts:

> BTW. try the wall up the enclosed bit, up top end, righthand wall must be about E2/E3 lefthand wall easier on HVS/E1, seem alot easier once commited. I like the place but very very short.

At the far right of the crag, the nearly enclosed bay, the back wall has a small capping roof formed by a huge break? Do you mean the left hand side of that 'roof' is HVS/E1 and the right side is E2/E3?

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...