UKC

Trollveggen (Troll Wall Norway)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This might be common knowledge, however, today while climbing in Bergen I was informed by my climbing buddy, that the police (mountain rescue) are unwilling or refusing to carry out any rescues on what Brits call Troll Wall.

I will try and get more clarification of the extents of this statement.

Trollveggen, is an extensive area, and what UK climbers call Troll Wall is a specific part of the valley, therefore the statement might just be cliff specific rather than blanket. Logic would say it is cliff specific. This has apparently come about due to the high level of risk associated with rescues. A large rock (house sized) nearly hit a helicopter!

I will endeavor to find out more information.

Norwegians do have a tendency to assume things, like they are the only people in the world with snow covered mountains and also they assume that we know everything about local issues, like rescues limitations!

If you have anymore information please post!

TFN

Jamie
Bergen, Norway
Anonymous 02 Jun 2007
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

Just googled a bit in Norwegian. And i can only find anything about this dating back to last year, when a brittish man was rescued off Trollveggen and the helicopter almost got hit by big car sized rocks.

Article here for those who can read Norwegian
http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/friluftsliv/article701872.ece

Back then they where saying it might be that Rescue attempts would not be carried out or will be aborted in the Future. The police would like to bann climbing on the wall but cant do that within the curent Law.

But that was July Last year........

Keep us posted
Mokkel

Mokkel
 hillman 14 Jun 2007
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:
And now it's official. Base jumpers and climbers can't rely on being rescued if they are stranded in the Troll
Wall. In norwegian:
http://www.nettavisen.no/innenriks/article1114508.ece

Look at the pictures at the bottom, they were taken during last years rescue. The helicopter were just a few minutes from being hit by the avalanche.
Anonymous 14 Jun 2007
In reply to hillman:

Looks like since the Police couldnt ban climbing itself, as they wanted to do allready last year, they have stopped Rescues from beeing carried out. Probably hoping that the thought of having no one to rescue you, will stop some people from even trying climbing there.

The article say that rescue will not be carried out on Part of the Troll wall, but nothing about what parts.

Mokkel
 hillman 14 Jun 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
Well, we know what parts of the Troll Wall that keep on sending avalanches. And that is the central part, with the Rimmond route and the Swedish route.
Anonymous 14 Jun 2007
In reply to hillman:
yea i figured it would be somthing like that.
I just hate this kind of not telling the full details

But am i alone in thinking its just because they couldnt ban climbing itself that they have done this?

Mokkel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...