UKC

NEWS: UKClimbing.com Site News

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 04 Jun 2007
Each month, in the dark and deepest recesses of UKClimbing.com user statistics that are logged continually are published in a monthly table so that we can see how the site is growing, or not, as the case maybe.

They tell us which are the most popular bits of the site and how many people are visiting.

Nick Smith, the tech wiz of UKC tells us that the UKC logbooks are growing fast! "Just had the 250,000th tick logged....."

The news page visits have more than doubled in the last year. Last May 2006 the news page had 36,239 visits (1,169 a day) this May a whopping, 84,818 visits which works out at 2,736 visits every day.

Registered users; 31,868; Cross site weekly IP addresses for May: 160,384: Photos uploaded: 46,700.........

More about UKClimbing.com site stats here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Paz 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I wouldn't get so complacent about your interface. Two features of PhP or whatever UKB use that are incredibly useful are the ability to embed images with hotlinking or whatever it's called, and the fact that hyperlinks in posts open in a new window or tab, because other wise you lose where you got to when checking links other people have given when browsing the forums if you have to press back. I know you can right click and open in a new window, but that takes way longer.

I think many people are glad of the lack of smilies, but I'd implement those two features before you start on some pHp bashing mission. html geeks can show off their skills by posting in bold font, but UKC seems like a decidedly traditional `newspaper letters page' crossed with an old school `bulletin board'/`newsgroup' medium, compared to what you can do on the web now.

Disclaimer: this may just be my computer.
 Skyfall 04 Jun 2007

tell us what decisions you soon have to make about direction, and then we could comment....

In reply to Paz:

When discussing any aspect of site design speed and navigation have always been a priority for us, which is why we have opted not to allow imbedded images. Having said that the forums software is continually evolving so it may happen at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> tell us what decisions you soon have to make about direction, and then we could comment....

It’s probably lots of smaller decisions rather than any major change in direction. Here are few topics that are always on the agenda:

- What will be our next major application?
- Do we expand beyond the UK using domains such as USClimbing.com or EUClimbing.com?
- Do we take on the commitment of an office premises with all the traditional associated costs?
- How can we continue to deliver content that our users want to access?
- How can we retain our users?
- How can we be profitable?
 TobyA 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Paz:
> Two features of PhP or whatever UKB use that are incredibly useful are the ability to embed images with hotlinking or whatever it's called,

pictures in posts can also be a bit lame. Its now so easy to post you pics on the internet for free, then just put the link here, who cares? It just means things load so much faster here.

Don't you find all the avatars and stuff on UKB really lame? Isn't it the computer equivalent of having "wacky" socks or a cartoon tie?

> and the fact that hyperlinks in posts open in a new window or tab,

click the link with the wheel of your mouse, or whilst holding control. Then it opens in a new tab/window. Its that easy.
 John2 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com: 'Do we take on the commitment of an office premises with all the traditional associated costs?'

I hope you realise that many supposedly well established businesses have come to grief by expanding and taking on extra financial commitments too early. If you are to take on extra fixed costs, you really need to be very certain indeed that they will repay the investment. I don't know and don't expect you to tell me how profitable you are at the moment, but I hope you understand the fiscal drag that financing office premises would create.

I've always thought that your avoidance of graphic features was very sensible, for the reasons that you have already stated. I don't know if you have already sold the rights to use your forum software to anyone else or not, but to me that seems to be the most viable way to increase your income.
 Paz 04 Jun 2007
In reply to TobyA:

There is a speed difference, but you could set your browser to text only if your were bothered. Is there not a way of doing it using the existing html functionality? Text only is like writing on the toilet walls.

Lame yes, but fun. It's only because it's in your face
that you noticed avatars etc. though - you've got still a profile and a blog FFS, it's just they're hidden away.

Thanks for the middle button hint. My rollerwheel has a weird habit of sending me on a random magical mystery voyage through the internet sometimes though, and I don't really know why.
 gingerkate 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Paz:
> you've got still a profile and a blog FFS, it's just they're hidden away.

Exactly. Hidden away info is good... hidden away info means I can go and look and see a profile when I want, but don't have the irritating banality of avatars staring me in the face continually and slowing down my computer.

Paz 04 Jun 2007
In reply to gingerkate + TobyA:

I never thought these Avatars were such a big deal. All the youths have got them on myspace etc. these days. Seeing that I like the Avatars better than a lot of people's profiles these days (including on here) that seem to read like lonely hearts adverts.

I think allowing pictures would enable a lot of extremely knowledgable people to contribute and (present company excepted) force out a lot of very eloquent and articulate people who often don't know so much, to observe a bit more. I guess it still relies on people actually having pictures/ diagrams in the first place though.
 gingerkate 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Paz:
I'm not against the picture idea. But I really do hate the avatars. I wouldn't mind them if they were just there if you clicked on the poster's name or something, but if everytime there was a post by X, some picture and slogan appeared by it, I would feel like screaming... it's the repetition I can't abide. Imagine it on a long thread!
In reply to gingerkate:

It's something that you don't notice when you use it. Avatars aren't obligatory anyway, you can go picture and comment-less if you want.
 Doug 04 Jun 2007
In reply to gingerkate: maybe its age, but I too don't like avatars much, although I don't mind the photos on telemarktips (I even have one myself). And I find the silly slogans anoying after the first view

Mick, think very hard before adding such 'features' - I don't think they're needed but admit I'm getting old & am used to usenet etc

As for EUclimbing.com or the like is there a gap in the existing websites ? maybe some seamless linking between domains so that the more international fora are seen by eg both euclimbing.com & ukclimbing.com but leave the 'down the pub' type stuff to uk only
 gingerkate 04 Jun 2007
In reply to bentley's biceps:
If you don't notice them, and they slow the loading of long threads down, what's the point? Can't you allow pictures without the tedium of repeated avatars?
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com) 'Do we take on the commitment of an office premises with all the traditional associated costs?'
>
> I hope you realise that many supposedly well established businesses have come to grief by expanding and taking on extra financial commitments too early....

I think it’s highly unlikely that we will go down the lease route. If we can continue to operate from our respective home/offices it goes without saying that we will have more funds available to develop new applications.
In reply to gingerkate:

Of course you can. You must have a rubbish link if avatars slow the loading of a page: I've never had any problems.
The text format and image linking is useful, but like others say it can be easily mis-used. And I suspect that may occur here. Maybe. <puzzled, shoulder shrug emoticon>
 gingerkate 04 Jun 2007
> You must have a rubbish link if avatars slow the loading of a page: I've never had any problems.

So why do you think the sites that use avatars have lots of separate pages for threads of any length then, hmmm?
 Chris the Tall 04 Jun 2007
Please don't add avatars or embed images in the forums - the format of these forums is far better than anything else I've seen and is part of the reason why I use the site.

Instead concentrate your energies on the excellant logbook feature - I've submitted several hundred new feature suggestions but most have been ignored
 gingerkate 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Actually, now you've made me think about it, if there's alterations to be made, there's one little tiny tweak I'd like:
If I click on 'show all messages' because I need to look at something earlier in the thread, then reply to one of the revealed messages, when I post my reply, the rest of the thread goes back to being in the 'hidden' state. I would prefer it if once I'd asked to see all messages it knew I meant that I wanted to keep on seeing all messages (for the duration of that site visit), not have them hide again.
In reply to gingerkate:

If you click the "show all" they don't
You can set your profile on here so it doesn't hide read messages.
Content over format anyday.
 gingerkate 04 Jun 2007
But I want it to hide read messages. I just want it to understand that if I click 'show all' or whatever it's called, I want it to stay like that on that one thread, not revert. Can I do that? It's a very minor quibble really.
 Skyfall 04 Jun 2007
am not sure what these avatars are. can someone post a link to a webpage with avatars please? sorry for dim question...

In reply to JonC:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,7448.0/topicseen.html
The little pics on the left t identify the user.
 Skyfall 04 Jun 2007

oh *those* - they're ok aren't they? a bit silly but no more than that - the moving one's are a bit distracting. wouldn't terribly want them here as i like this place being a bit adult (ahem) i suppose
Alex Purser 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKClimbing.com:

I quite like UKC how it is at the moment. No massive changes, please!
 sandywilson 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Alex Purser:

Totally agree, UKC is a very well designed and implemented website. Don't go all Flash, metallic, etc. Some functional tweaks wouldn't go amiss e.g. ability to update photo info whilst they are waiting to be approved, more seamless integration of Logbooks and Crag database, etc. When I'm talking web design at work, UKC is one I pull up to highlight good practice.
 Ian McNeill 05 Jun 2007

KISS works for me ...

and most other people too... compared to other forums its not too bad ....many more good points than bad.

small changes, stay at home don't get an office however tempted you are there are other ways.....

discuss......
In reply to sandywilson:
> (In reply to Alex Purser)
>
> Totally agree, UKC is a very well designed and implemented website. Don't go all Flash, metallic, etc.

Thanks for that. Any changes we make will be incremental and of course we are very sensitive to user feedback so I can’t see that happening.

Anonymous 05 Jun 2007
In reply to JonC:

Ha! Ha! That's funny. Just below where your complaining about avatars being 'a bit silly' and the moving ones being 'a bit distracting' I'm seeing a flashing BUPA banner advert in someone's post. UKC has pics in post and distracting 'avatars' it's just that their making money off them.
 Mark Stevenson 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Anonymous: Only if you don't log in.....
 catt 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Paz:
>
> Two features of PhP or whatever UKB use that are incredibly useful are the ability to embed images with hotlinking or whatever it's called.

Incerdibly annoying and lame. Keep it clean and simple. As said it's easy to post links to pics.

> and the fact that hyperlinks in posts open in a new window or tab ... I know you can right click and open in a new window, but that takes way longer.

It doesn't take way longer to right click, but not everyone knows about it and I agree it should be a natural feature for any external links to open in a seperate tab/window.
 BelleVedere 05 Jun 2007

I really like the simplicity of the forums too, especially no photos or graphics in posts.

Wingnut 05 Jun 2007
In reply to es:
It also makes it a *lot* less obvious that it isn't work!
 A O 05 Jun 2007
One small change I would like to see would be having the date that a thread was started displayed on the main page next to Newest Post. Oh and if possible when someone posts a really long link then is there any way of making it automatically wrap onto the next line to avoid having to scroll across the page in other posts, I know people have been discouraged from posting long links in the first place but it still happens occasionally.
 gingerkate 05 Jun 2007
In reply to A O:
Yes, that one drives me mad too. I log out, then return, so that it disappears into the 'hidden' messages.
Anonymous 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Umm… Actually I did just log in and could still see an orange box with an Ad by Google in the first post of every thread. If someone visiting a site sees a banner advert randomly inserted into your post (which is done regardless of whether the post is from a registered user or not) they could easily think that you personally endorse the product or website advertised.

Avatars and signatures on other forums may well be annoying but the forum user has at least chosen themselves what goes into their post.

I’m not meaning to be critical of UKC for it’s advertising here (we all need to make a living), I’m just making an observation.
 Mark Stevenson 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com and others: I regularly use mobile phones to access UKC so bandwidth is still a great issue. People who make crap comments about people having 'slow connections' are completely missing the point.

I'm sure Nick will agree with me but please do not even consider put silly pointless things like inline images or avatars on the site that will just slow thing down.

Inline images are completely unnecessary anyway. For desktop browsing, if people haven't moved to tabbed browsing then it shouldn't be up to UKC to make up for the fact they don't keep up with technology.

Some better link handling code that truncates the display portion of long links would be very useful.

As for avatars, why? By all means, consider some method of displaying inline thumbnails of people's profile pictures resulting from a click on an icon etc. but don't mess up the content with un-neccessary stuff being loaded and displayed all the time.

Other ideas:

Online climbing video library - Video is definately the future! Might have to be subscription or more heavily sponsored for the next few years. However I can see in 10 year time, not only will you be able to find pictures of your sport route or boulder problem, you'll be able to download a video of someone climbing it.

Better geographical interfaces linking logbooks to the googlemaps stuff.

Merging the clubs and walls databases with the BMC - Completely unnecessary duplication between the two organisations.

Better interfaces leading into the articles section. Currently not too bad but will become more of an issue in future assuming the number and quality of articles keeps improving.

Loads and loads of stuff needs done to the logbooks section.

I'll no doubt think of some more stuff....
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> Instead concentrate your energies on the excellant logbook feature - I've submitted several hundred new feature suggestions but most have been ignored

That's a bit harsh Chris! Actually I've implemented a number of your suggestions recently, and all of them are added on the ToDo list, but some of them are a lot of work and we have to balance development costs across different parts of the site. I hope we can do a big chunk of work on the Logbooks system later this year, and hundreds of improvements that users have suggested can be added

Cheers
In reply to gingerkate:
> Actually, now you've made me think about it, if there's alterations to be made, there's one little tiny tweak I'd like:
> If I click on 'show all messages' because I need to look at something earlier in the thread, then reply to one of the revealed messages, when I post my reply, the rest of the thread goes back to being in the 'hidden' state. I would prefer it if once I'd asked to see all messages it knew I meant that I wanted to keep on seeing all messages (for the duration of that site visit), not have them hide again.

Thanks, good suggestion. I've added it to the ToDo list.

Cheers
In reply to Anonymous:
> Umm&#8230; Actually I did just log in and could still see an orange box with an Ad by Google in the first post of every thread. If someone visiting a site sees a banner advert randomly inserted into your post (which is done regardless of whether the post is from a registered user or not) they could easily think that you personally endorse the product or website advertised.

You only see those adverts if you aren't logged in, or if your web browser has cached that page from a previous visit. Make sure you are logged in, and empty your browser cache to see the latest version that won't have the ads.

Cheers
Anonymous 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

O.K. But the point still stands - visiters to the site may think that a registerd user is endorsing a product or website due to the position an advert appears on the webpage (within a given post).
 gingerkate 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
Wouldn't they have to be a bit webbily naive to think that?
 mart rich 05 Jun 2007
I would like to add my congratulations and a "keep up the good work" for the sake of balance on this thread. Typical of forums - everyone has an idea of how to improve things

To me UKC has (and still does) come across as a site that is user friendly and not over-commercial, still very much for-the-climbers, rather than for-the-advertisers in feel. Long may it stay that way. I love the balance of news articles reviews and forums. I agree that the forums are possibly the best on the web (that I know of), anyway they suit my preferences - simple, fast, easy to view and repsond to.

I view the forums most days several times a day (my virtual fag break when in the office) and I hope the format does not change too much in the future. Keep it simple - and it ain't broke yet so don't change it too much.

Martin

Alun 05 Jun 2007
> Some better link handling code that truncates the display portion of long links would be very useful.

Seconded.

And another vote for the 'No silly avatars' campaign. Yes they are only a bit of fun, but they are also distracting and pointless. Just because da kidz on Facebook and elsewhere has them doesn't mean UKC should have them too. You cannot compare them with banner adverts, as Mr Anonymous did above, because banner adverts are a) more consistent with respect to location/resolution, thus easier to ignore b) necessary for the site to make money and c) can be removed easily by using tools like Adblock (though I admit I don't do this because I like to see what gear offers are about).

Inline images are a tricker decision: on one hand they are undoubtedly quite nice to see every now and again and they help with illustrating points. But they need to be carefully controlled re: size and resolution. On UKB there are several 'Post your pics of <insert topic> here' threads which are a great idea but become very annoying, because rather than a nice list of links which you can click and view at your leisure, you have to wait for several (usually large) pics to download at once on each page.
 Katie Weston 05 Jun 2007
Instead of going down the hosting your own video route why not make use of google video or youtube to host the videos but provide links to more of them. People could nominate videos, and maybe have a video gallery similar to your own photo gallery.
 220bpm 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Mark Stevenson)
> [...]
>
> Seconded.
>
> And another vote for the 'No silly avatars' campaign. Yes they are only a bit of fun, but they are also distracting and pointless. Just because da kidz on Facebook and elsewhere has them doesn't mean UKC should have them too.
>

Thirded.
OP Michael Ryan 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Katie Weston:
> (In reply to Mark Stevenson)
> Instead of going down the hosting your own video route why not make use of google video or youtube to host the videos but provide links to more of them. People could nominate videos, and maybe have a video gallery similar to your own photo gallery.

Working on that Katie. Thanks.

chris j 05 Jun 2007
In reply to 220bpm: Another vote for keeping things simple - a lot of the time I access this site is over satellite comms from boats and rigs where the connection is slooowwww...
 David Bowler 05 Jun 2007
In reply to chris j: Another vote for keeping it simple.
I read the text. If someone wants to post a link to a picture then fine I can decide from the text if I want to see it and open a new window.

As has been repeatedly said not all of us hog all of an 8Mb connection. At work I get a share of our connection that varies from <1 to >100seconds to open a page depending on who is doing what on it. At home in the boondocks I have <1Mb and that is all I will ever get unless the telephone exchange moves nearer to me or I buy my own satellite.

As for avatars; seeing them once is funny, twice is boring and after that it just is irritating to be constantly reminded that Sparkle thinks he is a goldfish and Nutkin has a furry appendage.

In reply to all: Just to prove we are listening I've made a handful of improvements to the forums this afternoon, based on suggestions in this thread.

More details here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=246239

Cheers
OP Michael Ryan 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Paz:
>
> I wouldn't get so complacent about your interface.

We aren't and we never will be.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=246239
 leathers 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Paz:
>
> I wouldn't get so complacent about your interface.

I agree with your point apbout complacency. I have always found this forum to be frustrating to use - it's difficult to undertand who has replied to what because the posts are not placed in their proper hierarchical context (as you would see them in an email client). As a consequence, it is sometimes hard to work out the main point of the thread when it has become polluted by "off-topic" comments from other posters.

Is there not a way for posts to be displayed in the way I've described?
 gingerkate 06 Jun 2007
In reply to leathers:
> I have always found this forum to be frustrating to use - it's difficult to undertand who has replied to what

Just click on the 'in reply to' button and it takes you to the post that's being replied to.
loopyone 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: stato, stato, stato
 climbingpixie 06 Jun 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

I never realised you could do that! Cheers.
 sutty 06 Jun 2007
In reply to climbingpixie:

My mind is hornswoggled, what do you think the reply button is for?

To the person who wants to see who he is posting to use the reply button there and copy anything he wants to reply to into the box.

climbingpixie 06 Jun 2007
In reply to sutty:

I know what the reply button is for, I just didn't realise that if you clicked the In reply to bit it would take you to the message replied to. I surely can't be the only one who didn't know that, can I...?
 sutty 06 Jun 2007
In reply to climbingpixie:

Check profile pic of you, nope, not blond, unless aeroplane blond.;-P
 Wingnut 06 Jun 2007
Is it just me, or does the site seem to be running slower since the upgrade?
In reply to Wingnut: It's just you - nothing has been changed that would slow the site down, and we carefully monitor site traffic & server load levels to ensure it runs fast.

Cheers
 sutty 06 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

I think Liz uses a decrepit hammond organ converted to be used as a keyboard and has multiple screens in front of herwith various bits of gubbins all running at once from servers she has on test.

It will be the 286 one that is dragging her performance down, the Cray one should be fast enough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...