UKC

Quickdraw weights?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 05 Jun 2007
What counts as a "lightweight" sport climbing qd these days? I ask not because I'm looking to shave those ounces off my rack (it really won't make a difference!) but to get a set for travelling to try to avoid those difficult conversations at check-in time...

Any recommendations and views welcomed

Nic
OP Nic 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Gaz lord:

Thanks, good tip, but that's just one biner though, so the whole qd is (2x28) + weight of sling = ?? Also. just to be really fussy I prefer bent gates (is there such a thing as a bent wire gate?)

N
 GarethSL 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Jimmy D: fair nuff.

oh sorry thought the 28 was for the whole thing
 VisionSet 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic:

You don't need a bent wire gate, to suggest such a thing means you haven't really used a wire gate.
OP Nic 05 Jun 2007
In reply to VisionSet:

oFFS! What do you mean "haven't really used a wire gate" ?! How do you "really use" a gate, as opposed to just use it?? I've clipped thousands of both, and I have a preference for bent gates on sports routes - is that OK?

TobyA 05 Jun 2007
In reply to VisionSet: Except for a number of manufacturers do, or at least have in the past, made bent gate wire gates.
 abarro81 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic: zero g do some bent wire gates but they're not the lightest around i dont think
 Mark Stevenson 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic: For solid gate karabiners the current benchmark one for performance and weight is the DMM Shadow (c. 90grammes)

For all the options see: http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?id=2&id2=159

HTH
 Blue Straggler 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic:

I have two bent wire gates, they are made by Troll who effectively no longer exist, and even whilst Troll existed they stopped doing these ones. No idea what the weight is. They are Troll Sprint Gates, I think. They're my only wiregates, I like them
 Max factor 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Lucky (Spanish I think) also did a bent gate biner, which had a little quick release lock on it. Actually, it might of been them or Camp, don't remember where I saw them. It was probably ditched due to it locking up at inopportune moments, but wasn't a bad idea as a sort of super light screwgate.
 VisionSet 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic:

No need to get touchy. By 'really' I mean you only have to do one route to realise a bent gate is totally superfluous for a wire gate. I thought the same until I'd 'really' used one, then it made sense. Of course gear 'really' is a personal matter and I'm sure I have a few wierd idiosyncrasies also.

Anyhow, bentgates aren't as safe, so perhaps if you identify your preference as a spot of wierdness rather than 'real' rationallity, then you'll make the right decision?
 Dan Leach 05 Jun 2007
Current best is the phantom quick by DMM which comes in at 58gms. That beats the next best, the helium which comes in at something like 72gms
OP Nic 05 Jun 2007
In reply to dleach:

Excellent, as I've just ordered some...although I'm sure to regret this irrational decision when I "really" clip them...
 pottsworth 05 Jun 2007
In reply to Nic:
That camp clip really is tiny. I saw one in go outdoors the other day and was amazed, it is bearly bigger than an acessory beener.
To put it into perspective, the sling on this picture
http://www.walkhigh.co.uk/acatalog/info_842.html
is (Im pretty sure) a 12mm dynema sling!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...