UKC

Leo Holding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr Rain 08 Jun 2007
Pure talent, Hard work, Lucky?

Which ?
 jazzyjackson 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

natural climber. ideal genetics - height, weight and strength to weight ratio. Hard work and enthusiasm.

climbingjohn 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
Probably all of them. Had talent to begin with, worked hard to get really good and then someone gave him a break. thats my guess anyway.
fish08 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: If in "lucky" you were referencing his rather lucrative marketing involvements I would say he simply fits the stereotype (not completely, but possibly better than other serious top rate climbers) preferred by the industry i.e. "extreme".
 biscuit 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

Having heard him speak a couple of times he made a couple of life decisions that many wouldn't- i.e. against family advice dipped out of further education and went off climbing.

Lots of natural talent obviously but has dedicated the early part of his life to it and it's come good for him.

Loads of genetically gifted people out there who don't reach their full potential due to not wanting to or not having the dedication it takes.

His sponsorship supposedly came out of the blue with Berghaus basically ringing him up and asking if he wouldn't mind them giving him enough money to afford to climb full time.

As someone else on here said he is an advertising man's dream.
 omerta 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

Interesting question...I was watching Lynn Hill climb The Perfect Child earlier today on You Tube and the way she climbs is just astonishing...again, what's it down to?
 omerta 08 Jun 2007
In reply to biscuit:
> (In reply to Mr Rain)
>

>
> Lots of natural talent obviously but has dedicated the early part of his life to it and it's come good for him.
>
This is what I wish....that I'd taken it up a lot earlier than I have done.

GrahamD 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

Add to that gonads the size of melons. The boy cannot have any fear.
 mickyconnor 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: See brief articles on this page for possible insight into Leo Houlding (you may have to register):

http://climbing.timeoutdoors.com/trad/3CLMTJE01091412E.htm

I would suggest that he has the kind of narcissitic glamour associated with dashing warriors in the past, and that this gives him a great appeal to youth. Hence, he is a marketable product in a world where extreme sports are marketed by big business.

I don't think his ability, or dedication can really be questioned.
johnj 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
> Pure talent, Hard work, Lucky?
>
> Which ?

Which ever way you analyze it, Leo's a complete bona fide star

Rubbishy 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

He s, apart from a bloody good climber, a poster boy, just as Ron was and Livesey wasn't.
 lummox 08 Jun 2007
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Mr Rain)
>
> He s, apart from a bloody good climber, a poster boy, just as Ron was and Livesey wasn't.

Are you trying to suggest that Ron`s wilting Gay Bar `tache didn`t reel in the sponsors ?
 Ed Booth 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: Cause he was right at the top of the trad game in which there were very few climbers anyway, but he did it all at such a young age where as many of the top climbers were older. On siting E7 at 17 is pretty hot shit!
 Rubbishy 08 Jun 2007
In reply to lummox:

JoHny is sporting a similar one now. It makes him look really handsome.

actually it just soaks up drool.
OP Anonymous 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
well as a kid he climbed the Hould Man of Hoy
Sarah Harding 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

His androgynous look means that both men and women want to f*@k him...

A marketing dream. Wait til he starts balding...
Mr Rain 09 Jun 2007
In reply to Sarah Harding:

Marketing

...zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

I was under the impression he was taken under Bonningtons wing, am I incorrect?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...