UKC

Scary Dr Who episode?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone else find tonight's Dr Who episode really scary?! Those weeping angels were a brilliant idea - nearly as scary as the "Mummy" gas masks last year.
 Duz Walker 09 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

Top rank, original and terrifying idea. At least one of my three will be scuttling in beside us tonight. They have only partially been settled by the strobing mental image of a "clumsy" angel falling on his stoney butt.
 deepsoup 09 Jun 2007
I thought it was brilliant. Scary, a bit silly and very brave to put the Doctor in the background and have a completely new character at the centre.
 Mark Sheridan 09 Jun 2007

The two of mine who watched it have been somewhat ruffled; One's having trouble getting to sleep (and he's 12) and another one was watching from behind her hands (and she's not normally bothered at all) when it was on!I suppose we've all been there at one time or another. The one that freaked me was 'The Green Death', when John Pertwee was thw Doc.
 Ozzrik 09 Jun 2007
Brilliantly scary, the proper stuff of kiddie nightmares - staues that are after you when you don't look! The changing poses in the strobing light were a particularly good effect, as was flicking through the staues at the end.

Great eppisode, left the horror to the imagingation enough to be properly scary!!
 deepsoup 09 Jun 2007
In reply to Mark Sheridan:
> The one that freaked me was 'The Green Death', when John Pertwee was thw Doc.

Nightmares about giant maggots? Me too.
 Mark Sheridan 09 Jun 2007
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to Mark Sheridan)
> [...]
>
> Nightmares about giant maggots? Me too.

Yeah! And which one had the Daffodils that excreted some poisonous squirt? And the Master was in one , where he made people think/feel they were undergoing their worst fear ,e.g. drowning, burning; that was freaky.
Rosie A 09 Jun 2007
In reply to Duz Walker:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC)
>
> Top rank, original and terrifying idea. At least one of my three will be scuttling in beside us tonight.

Room in there for Nick and deepsoup?

>
> The one that freaked me was 'The Green Death', when John Pertwee was thw Doc.

"Image of the Fendahl"! Well, not that really freaked me, as I saw it for the first time two years ago at the green age of 44, but if I had seen it at 12 I would have been definitely traumatized.

Same goes for "The Stone Tape", not a DW story but eerily similar in tone to "Fendahl"

deepsoup 09 Jun 2007
Nope, I don't remember the daffodils.
Though funnily enough tonights episode did vaguely remind me of one where the Master's Tardis was disguised as a statue, I didn't trust statues for a while after that one either. Maybe statues are intrinsically creepy, like clowns.

I wonder if there's any scope for the Master to make a comeback? Maybe it would spoil the 'last Time Lord in the universe' schtick.

In reply to Rosie A:
Now that really would scare the bejesus out of everybody.
Rosie A 09 Jun 2007
In reply to deepsoup:

not least Duz's missus.
;¬)
 Duz Walker 09 Jun 2007

Does anyone remember a monster with a green tendrilled head and a dashing cream suit (+/- cravat?!). Or giant rats? Morbius? A Chinese ventriloquists dummy?
Rosie A 09 Jun 2007
In reply to deepsoup:

Don't want to worry you guys, and this is obviously not in any way intended as a slight on your masculinity, but my daughter and her mates watched it together and barely batted an eyelid, and they're all 11. ;¬)
 deepsoup 09 Jun 2007
In reply to Duz Walker:
"The Talons of Weng Chiang"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/talonswengchiang/

I don't remember it, but stumbled across it before trying to work out which was the 'Master' story with the creepy statue that turned out to be his Tardis.

It'd be quite nice to see the Master make a comeback, though I suppose that wouldn't fit in with the Doctor's 'last time-lord in the universe' schtick.
 kevin k 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: i was just saying that to mrs k , my youngest was hiding, i wont be going to sleep tonight!!
 Duz Walker 10 Jun 2007

Nerd alert!

I'd like to see the Doctor take on Q.
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to Duz Walker)
>
> I don't remember it, but stumbled across it before trying to work out which was the 'Master' story with the creepy statue that turned out to be his Tardis.

"Keeper of Traken". My brother got me the DVD from the UK just last month. First time I saw it, brilliant Tom Baker story
 deepsoup 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
Thats ok, I've never pretended to be particularly brave, or masculine for that matter.
(Even now, I was scared of my own shadow at six - far too vivid an imagination for my own good.)
 deepsoup 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Luca Signorelli:
Thanks, that was starting to bug me.
 toad 10 Jun 2007

>
> I wonder if there's any scope for the Master to make a comeback? Maybe it would spoil the 'last Time Lord in the universe' schtick.
>
he's coming... in a tardis shaped like a 19070's Ford Cortina, if you believe the rumours
 Moacs 10 Jun 2007

Missed it - does it get repeated on freeview anywhere?

j
 toad 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Moacs: tonight and again on Friday - BBC3. Think it's at 8 tonight
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I opened my eyes this morning convinced that there would be a weeping angel standing over my bed! eek.
Rosie A 10 Jun 2007

Do you often wake to find a woman in tears in your bedroom?
Jamming Dodger 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
>
> Do you often wake to find a woman in tears in your bedroom?

Does Nick often wake up to find a woman in his bedroom?
Rosie A 10 Jun 2007
In reply to skivingbluecat:

Have you two not consummated the relationship yet? I wondered where my cheque was.

Murder trying to earn a pound note round these parts. Tsk.
In reply to Rosie A: Thanks for the heads up
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: And back to the Dr Who thread.. I watched only one episode of the new batch and it just happened to be the "mummyyyyy" one. Though im told this was by far the worst i aint watching another. Im only just getting over the Tripods from when i was a kid. {shudder}
 Philip 10 Jun 2007
It was quite a chilling episode, the last time Dr Who scared me was The Daemons episode with Pertwee up against the devil in Cornwall, and I was about 10 or 11 watching repeats on UKGold before it stopped being free (yes that long ago).
 deepsoup 10 Jun 2007
In reply to toad:
Sounds good, if they're going to do it I hope its one of the better writers. (I'd be happy if R T Davies never writes another episode, he should just stick to producing imo.)
 184Dave 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: My youngest 8 had to leave the room. He had snuggled up to the wife she jumped at one scene and it was all over for him. Suspence leaving more to the imagination is the best horror.
Cheers Dave B
 deepsoup 10 Jun 2007
In reply to Philip:
> (yes that long ago).

Not nearly as long ago as the Jon Pertwee series that frightened the bejeesus out of me and Mark. (Here's a clue: I almost missed one episode because the telly needed one of its valves replacing.)
 kevin k 10 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) I opened my eyes this morning convinced that there would be a weeping angel standing over my bed! eek.

hehe
 kevin k 10 Jun 2007
In reply to kevin k: dont blink, what ever you do dont blink'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was very, very good. Didn't find it particularly scary though.
In reply to skivingbluecat:
> Im only just getting over the Tripods from when i was a kid. {shudder}

You can see the whole series of that online now. Google TV-links and you'll find the site that hosts it.

In reply to skivingbluecat: I've recently got the whole series of The Tripods on DVD, but I'm too scared to watch it. No one understood my fear of electricity pylons as a child... they look too much like tripods striding across the landscape!
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: I thought i was alone in that! I still have a residual fear of wind tubine thingummies and nobody can understand that either. I did walk right up to one though the other day and was very impressed with myself. Creepy though... Lend me the DVD's PLEASE...?
 TN 11 Jun 2007

It was certainly one of the better episodes in the new series.
I don't really remember 'Tripods' (I remember watching it, but it hasn't made any lasting impression, I mean) so will maybe have to dig it out from somewhere and revisit...
My brothers were the nightmare prone ones in our house - even Star Wars, Buck Rogers etc prompted screams and sleepless nights. (I am sure they'd thank me for broadcasting this to the world. LOL)
Anonymous 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Luca Signorelli:
Have you seen "Genesis of the Daleks"

chilling idea of war for a thousand years, civilisation in decay until a technological elite take control of one side ant try to re-engineer themselves to survive and exterminate the other
soveda@work 11 Jun 2007
> Those weeping angels were a brilliant idea - nearly as scary as the "Mummy" gas masks last year.

2 years ago!

Oh and this one was great, written by the same person as "the empty child" (the "are you my mummy" one).

He also wrote Press Gang you know!
Anonymous 11 Jun 2007
In reply to deepsoup:

Bok? and the archaological dig at Devil's end?
G A Hardie 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Well thought out episode with clever storyline tricks - and think of all the cash the Beeb saved on the special effects budget.

Top notch!!
violentViolet 11 Jun 2007
>
> The two of mine who watched it have been somewhat ruffled; One's having trouble getting to sleep (and he's 12)
I was hiding behind the sofa and I'm 27!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...