UKC

Leo Holding on Everest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wingman 11 Jun 2007
I hadn't heard anything about this before. Anker and Holding climbing Everest in historic kit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/11/weverest111...

I must say, I thought that Holding was an odd choice for this, given the areas of his previous experience (extensive and amazing that it is)
 Jamie B 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:

An entirely natural choice I'd have said, with his soft boyish features and flowing locks...
chris.draper 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:

Are they using tradition ropes and protection as well the clothing?
ICE 11 Jun 2007
In reply to chris.draper: I think so, they are going to remove the ladder from the second step for example, I thinks its a fantstic effort, makes you relaise that most people summiting everest today are simply getting a pale imitation of the experience mallory and irving must have had.
wilf1 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:

What back up do they have if they get in to difficulties ??

The same as Mallory ???
chris.draper 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:

So they are tying a hemp rope around their waist?
 Dom Whillans 11 Jun 2007
In reply to chris.draper: mallory's body was found with a harness according to the telegraph... shome mishtake shurely?
Removed User 11 Jun 2007
In reply to ICE:
> makes you relaise that most people summiting everest today are simply getting a pale imitation of the experience mallory and irving must have had.

What's that then? getting killed?
 Tony the Blade 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:

A simple question - Why?

I don't get it, we know about the difficulties encoutered in the days before down suits, titanium and wayfarer precooked grub!

Why oh why go back there, most of the progression has been made in living memory (not necessarily mine I might add) and therefore doesn't (yet) need to be re-visited.

What is it about the 'romantic' past? Lives were lost due to inadequate equipment.
ICE 11 Jun 2007
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserICE)
> [...]
>
> What's that then? getting killed?

2 hours, gosh thats slow for rocktalk.
 Henry Iddon 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:

All in aid of a TV Doco.

Keep up to date at....

http://www.ueverest.com/

GrahamD 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Smacks of a publicity stunt if ever there was one. I mean how is someone with minimal himalayan experience going to add any objective assesment to the stunt any more than Brian Blessed when he tried to do something similar in period costume ?

I'm assuming Berghaus have something to do with it ?
Wingman 12 Jun 2007
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> Smacks of a publicity stunt if ever there was one. I mean how is someone with minimal himalayan experience going to add any objective assesment to the stunt any more than Brian Blessed when he tried to do something similar in period costume ?
>
> I'm assuming Berghaus have something to do with it ?

I wasn't really having a go/judging it to be a publicity stunt.

It was more that if they were going to try and get up Everest in 'original kit' then I would have thought that they would have picked people with previous significant high altitude experience. Anker obviously has, Holding less so.

John2 12 Jun 2007
In reply to GrahamD: 'Wearing £30,000 of replica equipment from the original manufacturers - including hobnail boots and cotton jackets '

When Mallory's body was found on Everest, the clothing was given to Mike Parsons who used to run Karrimor. He created a new set of clothing identical to that found on the body with the intention of proving whether or not it would have been possible for Mallory and Irvine to have reached the summit in the clothing of the day.

That's the purpose behind the trip - nothing to do with Berghaus.
fish08 12 Jun 2007
Holding already has some experience at alpine type ascents.

If you mean previous experience on sumitting Everest I would say as part of a recreation it would be worth noting that Mallory/Irvine would have been the first.
 GrahamD 12 Jun 2007
In reply to fish08:
> Holding already has some experience at alpine type ascents.

So do I. It doesn't make me an ideal candidate for Everest, though.
 GrahamD 12 Jun 2007
In reply to John2:

Its still a pointless exercise, though. Unless Anker and Houlding have identical physiologies and identical weather conditions to those encountered by Mallory or Irving it demonstrates nothing.
 hutchm 12 Jun 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

IIRC Irvine had virtually no mountaineering experience, so Houlding is perhaps not as bad a choice if you're looking to recreate...
 GrahamD 12 Jun 2007
In reply to hutchm:

I don't think they are trying to recreate, are they ? I thought they were trying to survive the experience.
 John2 12 Jun 2007
In reply to GrahamD: No, some have claimed that it would have been impossible for M & I to reach the summit in the clothing of the day. This is an attempt to prove that the clothing was not the limiting factor.

I agree that physiology and weather will differ, but this attempt is looking solely at whether the clothing provided sufficient protection and sufficient freedom of movement for the technical climbing.

Mike has written a book about the reconstruction of the clothing if you're interested.
 GrahamD 12 Jun 2007
In reply to John2:

But impossible on what grounds ? If it was just because of the clothing then experienced Himalayan climbers would have seemed a bit more sensible. After all, we don't know if Leo can get up Everest even in modern attire.
 John2 12 Jun 2007
In reply to GrahamD: As I say, some have claimed that either the clothing would not have been warm enough to prevent M & I from dying from exposure or that it would have been too constrictive to allow the climbing of the second step. Read the book if you want more detail.
Dave Cuthill 18 Jun 2007
In reply to Wingman:
Here is the expedition website
http://www.ueverest.com/team.html
The climbing of the 2nd step and upward was done in modern kit, as far as I am aware. Gerry Moffatt is my contact. He is making a documentary.
Regards
Dave
Vosse 01 Jul 2007
I think the replica-style clothing was primarily used to recreate the look for the movie. I don't believe they used the actual clothing replicated to exact specs by Mary Rose and Mike Parsons. The team always intended, from the beginning of the expedition, to switch to modern gear for the summit bid .

Here's some news on Leo. Anyone know if this is happening?

http://everestisours.blogspot.com/2007/07/lh2.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...