UKC

North Germany guidebooks / topos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 11 Jun 2007
Hi all! Has anybody got a copy of the now out-of-print guides to the Harz region of northern Germany (and specifically the Okertal / Marienwand area)? I've tried all of the obvious shops in the Hannover / Goslar area, but no luck so far, so all help welcome. Cheers, JW
 Neil R 11 Jun 2007
In reply to John Ww: Can't help you with the definitive guide but I have the Deutschland Vertikal guide which includes Der Harz, including a topo to Marienwand.

If you are stuck drop me a line and I'll copy the relevant section.
OP John Ww 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Neil R: Cheers Neil, any topos/ info would be a big help! The Okertal / Marienwand area is a particular favourite, as it's not too dsperate, right next to the road, and an easy walk to the pub! Will it be easier for you to scan or photocopy the relevant bits, 'cos your going to need either my email or postal address? Let me know either way, thanks again, John
 Phil A 12 Jun 2007
In reply to John Ww:

Somewhere in the loft I'm sure I've got a copy of the guide (red back cover if my memory serves correct). Last used in 2003 so I think its the lastest one. I'm happy to scan the relevant sections next week if this helps. Might also be worth checking the 'Unterweg' (thinks that's it) shop in Braunschweig as that's were I picked my guide up from.

Last time I climbed on the Marienwand - one minute fine blue skies and sunshine, then in the blink of an eye a torrential downpour with a river running down the road. Got back to the car like a pair of drowned rats.
OP John Ww 12 Jun 2007
In reply to Phil A: Cheers Phil, that would be great! Your experiences of the , erm "interesting" weather conditions in this area sound scarily similar to mine! Anyway, anything you could scan and send me would be a big help, but in particular the areas nearest Hannover, specifically the Okertal would be champion. My email address is johnwintersgill@hotmail.com. Cheers, John W
 Phil A 19 Jun 2007
In reply to John Ww:

John, I've despatched a number of scans. Please let me know if you received them ok.
Waldmeister 20 Jun 2007
In reply to John Ww: You can download a topo of the Treppenstei (one of the biggest crag in the Okertal).

Go to the german website www.kletternimnorden.de an click on Klemmkeil. Here download Nr. 7/2003 and you will find the topo on page 17!

Or enter the forum there and ask for the guide. I think the locals will know, if and where you can get copies of the topo!

You will find pictures and a few topos on some of the smaller crags here: http://www.bergefelsundeis.de/Gallerie/Westharz/
OP John Ww 20 Jun 2007
In reply to Waldmeister: Danke sehr!!
daisy may (or may not!) 20 Jun 2007
In reply to John Ww:

Hi John,

unlikely to find anything in Goslar for climbing, surprised by Hannover though.
Can photocopy the guide for you, includes Marienwand, and Okertal.

Recommend Savage Crag (Fruhgeburt 7+, Schlappe Socke 8, Bermuda Dreiecke 6) and the Grosse Treppenstein (Falkenweg 7-, Holzweg 8?, Direkter N-Pfeiler 7-).

If going to the Marienwand, park at the Dam near the cafe and walk down the road, takes about 10 mins. It does get heaving in the summer and there is usually a queue for some of the routes.

Failing that, look at the crags deep into the forest, wee bit of a trek but worth it, shelter away from the heat.

If you want a copy, drop me a line, great place to go.
Daisy xx
OP John Ww 01 Jul 2007
In reply to daisy may (or may not!): Cheers Daisy, thanks a lot for the info, JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...