UKC

Scrambling footwear-inov8s?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davefount 12 Jun 2007
Ok so I am going to spend three days and nights in snowdonia, bivy, but travelling extremely (these things are of course relative!). This is my pre alps training and I do not have a partner for wales so I am solo. Therefore the plan is run/jog/walk around snowdonia doing as many long scrambles (perhaps the odd diff solo as well) as posible, bivying on the hill.

I have the choice of either my scarpa Sl's (but the soles are quite rounded-due for a resole really), or my inov8 mudroc 280's. Obviously the later is going to do my knees in on any road/hard path sections, but they will allow me to run the downhills. the big questoin is what are they like to climb in?

Also given I am going very light, will be soloing (with a short scrambling rope just in case) would you take a helmit if you were in my shoes (and which shoes!lol)

many thanks in anticipation
 Guy Hurst 12 Jun 2007
In reply to davefount: IMHO the mudrocs would be fine for scrambling — I've done stuff in the Lakes and Scotland in TNF hedgehogs, which are pretty similar, and found them good. They'd also be a lot better than the SLs for running/jogging.
Never bothered with a helmet doing scrambles or easy climbs.
 Banned User 77 12 Jun 2007
In reply to davefount: I'd go with the innov8's. I wear trainers for most of the scrambling I do, if not all.

Re the helmet, I don't for easy scrambles, but do on hard scrambles or routes that finish on tourist paths, as thrown rocks etc may be an issue. If travelling light I don't, but if I'm putting in a rope then the helmet goes in.
OP davefount 12 Jun 2007
In reply to davefount: cheers both
Lee Anderson 12 Jun 2007
In reply to davefount: Dave I think your answer is in the question, don't bother climbing in the in the inov's as they are mud pluggers ,v diffs or not, save them for the shitty weather, in my opinion i think you should not bother getting the scarpas re-soled and invest in some 5-10 tennies as they are the tool for the job.
The thing is I think the weather is pretty good at the moment so you would be able to run down the hills as well, lets face it if there good enough for parkour
they'll handle the pig track.
Anyway thats my angle on it, hope you have a good do at the weekend and lets hope this time next year you'll be running back from some severe's in your
tennies.
Oh yeah! regarding a helmet, its a risk assesment, so as you don't know exactly what your gonna be up against it makes sense to wear one mate ave agood do.
 Mattyk 12 Jun 2007
In reply to davefount: i assume you have a silent partner then... if you need a rope i guess this is also a neccesity?

inov8's are great for scrambling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...