UKC

How to promote environmentalism at work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 13 Jun 2007
I’m the environmental champion for our team of 30-odd at work.
We have been trying to promote things like turning monitors/printers/photocopies off at night/the w/e, trying to recycle as much as possible and reduce waste, reduce unnecessary printing etc.

However, lots of people just ignore me, thinking I’m some kind of eco-Nazi! We are going to raise it at a team meeting. I’m looking for some inspirational environmental messages, along the lines of - saving the planet starts at home/every little bit counts/you can’t rely on governments to save the planet – individuals are important too. None of this is very articulate, but I hope you catch the drift.

Can anyone direct me to a green site that articulates these messages better than I can!
Or inspire me yourselves.

Gracias.
 tony 13 Jun 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

Turning things off should be simple - leaving electrical equipment on overnight is a straightforward waste of money, coming straight off the company profit. Same with reducing waste - reduce the amount of money spent on unnecessary paper, print cartridges, toner, etc. At the end of the year, all the savings will add to a tidy wee pot - ask your Finance Director if it's possible to make an assessment of likely savings (particularly with respect to energy savings), and then see if there's a way of creating incentives which encourage these savings. Everyone gets to win - the company makes more money (which pleases the Board), and the incentives reward the staff who contribute to the savings. And the happy by-product is that the environment is left in a slightly less crap state.

Try looking at the Energy Saving Trust website, which might have some useful ideas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...