UKC

Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 serenam 19 Jun 2007
I was wondering what are people's verdicts now Ratho has reopened?

Went there this weekend and was a little disappointed that they hadn't changed their routes!
 niggle 19 Jun 2007
In reply to serenam:

I know what you mean - but it's worth remembering the massive effort it takes to reset even one route on walls the size of ratho's. I guess with 200+ routes we won't really run out soon, but it does feel a bit like I've done "everything" sometimes!

Time for a trip to AR1?
 Bill Davidson 19 Jun 2007
In reply to niggle:

There'll be plenty new routes at the end of the month after the BRYCS final takes place. There were some pretty good new ones at AR1 last weekend tho.
 niggle 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson:

New routes? Great!

I've always liked AR1's routes too. Except mike's, they're just weird and make me unhappy. Which is exactly what he intends.

Do you know if any of the edinburgh guys are competing in the BRYCS? I guess Natalie probably is, anyone else? Roddy maybe?
In reply to niggle:

Beware of barney's green spots next to the fire exit!!! Nat's in the British Team so cant compete. Deb, young Ross, Jessica & my daughter Jaime are all in the finals tho
 niggle 19 Jun 2007

> Beware of barney's green spots next to the fire exit!!!

Is that the hideous shoulder-dislocating bridging thing that's been there for a little while? The start to that one's brutal if the short of arse.
OP serenam 19 Jun 2007
In reply to niggle: I know what you mean but you have to remember that they closed Ratho for a week before they Reopened. Surely they could have changed some of the routes?
 niggle 19 Jun 2007
In reply to serenam:

There are a few new ones. Try the grey slab problem at the very far end of the beginner's wall for a vicious sandbagging!
In reply to niggle:

No, the line to the right of it, 6b+ i think. There again his green spots on the overhang, line 9 or thereabouts was a brammer.

Serenam, they have been re-routing the comp wall, have you tried any on it? There's a big grey one they've just put up which is quite easy

niggle 19 Jun 2007

> No, the line to the right of it, 6b+ i think.

Oh aye, I know the one you're talking about. I don't think I've done that one yet, I'll maybe give it a blast next time I'm there.

Best of luck to your wee one by the way - might pop along since I live in Kirkliston!
OP serenam 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson: I'm only climbing @ 6a, so havn't looked at the comp wall. Didn't think there would be anything there for me.
In reply to niggle:

Thanks, you should pop in it's inspiring to say the least!!!

Serenam, the grey I was on about is a 5+ on the 2nd line from the left. It looked a good route
 fimm 19 Jun 2007
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to Bill Davidson)
> [...]
> Is that the hideous shoulder-dislocating bridging thing that's been there for a little while? The start to that one's brutal if the short of arse.

Err... we're talking at Alien 1 here, right? If that route is the one I think it is I thought it was nice - it is definitely not 6B cos I did it first time and did it clean last night, and a route has to be very easy 6B for me to do that. (Well maybe it's easy 6B)

In reply to fimm:

That ones still there, this is a new one next to it
OP serenam 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson: Cheers for that but I think the next time in Edinburgh I'll be heading to Alien. Plus its much warmer than Ratho!
In reply to serenam:

Lol, Not on sunday it wasn't, it was positively balmy in there
OP serenam 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Bill Davidson: well it was freezing on saturday. I was quite suprise how empty it was, seeing as it was raining!
In reply to serenam:

Collosal venue, probably the best climbing wall anywhere and you whinge!!?? was there on Saturday great temperature for climbing, when its warm it gets very greasy inside.
OP serenam 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: I agree its a great venue and its got everything leading, top-roping and bouldering. I personally find it cold but maybe thats cause I'm usually go to Ibrox and Alien. Have chosen to go to Ratho instead of Alien several times but I think I will be making a trip back to Alien.
 BelleVedere 19 Jun 2007
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:

I like both AR & ratho - different but complimentary

If i had to chose id go alien, but thats cos i can get there more easily. Luckily i don't have to choose
 niggle 19 Jun 2007
In reply to fimm:

> If that route is the one I think it is I thought it was nice

I'm famous for hating bridging/stemming problems. And yeah, I thought it was a bit soft. Mind you, even quite hard routes with bridging can feel easy because you usually get a couple of good rests IMO.
 fimm 19 Jun 2007
In reply to niggle:

> Mind you, even quite hard routes with bridging can feel easy because you usually get a couple of good rests IMO.

Yes, fair point. And I quite like bridging. (A better indication of my lack of ability is that I completely failed to get up the new blobs and blue 6A route on the overhang on the opposite wall!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...