UKC

Left or Right Handed Ascender?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
splumley 22 Jun 2007
I dont think this is a stupid question...

I'm right handed and looking to buy an ascender (for use in some easy, but long and high, ascents in the Himalayas)

Do I want a left handed one, so that my right hand is free, or a right handed one?

Or is it a matter of personal preference?
In reply to splumley: The main reason they have right or left versions is so if you have 2 on the rope you are always able to see the cam and see that everything is working ok and there is nothing caught in the cam etc. If you are going up a rope with your right hand and the rope on your right then buy a right ascender as you'll always be able to see its working ok. A left one will obviously still work but won't be as visible.
splumley 22 Jun 2007
thanks, I thought it was something to do with the shape of the grip, but that makes much more sense
 gear boy 22 Jun 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: and also using your thumb to release the cam, but if you have gloves on you will be using 2 hands anyway!
layback larry 26 Jun 2007
In reply to gear boy:

Don't forget a carabiner for the end (to stop the camming device opening), you don't want it coming off the rope on you now.....
 Paul Bowen 26 Jun 2007
In reply to splumley:

a couple of petzl tiblocs do the same at a fraction of the weight..check them out
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportProduits?Produit=113
 Moacs 26 Jun 2007
In reply to splumley:

The "handedness" refers to the ascender, not which hand uses them. A pair is deemed less likely to detatch.

The triblocs are good as back up devices (I carry one plus a couple of maillons or cold shuts in the Alps) but the ascenders are easier to use and trash your roope less.

J
 pictish 26 Jun 2007
In reply to splumley: I go caving and have a right handed one (I'm right handed). I once borrowed a left handed one off someone and found it impossible to get off the rope one handed, something which I can normally do easily even when wearing gloves. I even had problems getting it off using two hands.

If you're right handed get a right handed one, It'll be easier to use even if you're not as useless as me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...