/ Malham - Lemon Balm?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fidget - on 24 Jun 2007
Went to Malham on Saturday, and picked a bit of what I thought was lemon balm (the herb). It smelt right - very citrusy and tangy - and was absolutely everywhere. However, on returning home and consulting the web, I don't think it is lemon balm after all, as the edges of the leaves are smooth, not crinkly, and the leaves themselves are slightly furry.

It looks just like this photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Melissa_officinalis3.JPG except for non crinkly leaves, and some of the plants had purple flowers.

Anyone know what it is? And if it's edible/drinkable (in herbal tea)? It was literally covering the ground (on the path up to the right wing), so not like I was removing part of the SSSI, heaven forbid :S
Fiend - on 28 Jun 2007
In reply to cider nut:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP.
Stig - on 28 Jun 2007
In reply to cider nut: It grows all over Stoney as well. I once took a plant home because I thought it was a variety of mint but it didn't transplant. It is also very similar to plants like oregano and marjoram (it smells most similar to marjoram actually). I suspect all those plants are related - sorry, I don't know any more than that.
Bob on 28 Jun 2007
In reply to cider nut:

I'll take my plant of Britain field book with me the next time I go up there and see if I can match it with anything. Any flowers on it? Maybe a bit early for that.

boB
ads.ukclimbing.com
Fidget - on 29 Jun 2007
In reply to Bob:

There were purple flowers on top, not open though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.