UKC

Kevin Thaw pics...Obsession Fatal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 19 Sep 2002
graeme alderson 19 Sep 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: He's looking even more like Mark Hughes than ever
rich 19 Sep 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: phew! looks a bit thin

~
Martin Brierley 19 Sep 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

I reckon I'd have had at least an old mattress below.

And if he fell off, it wasn't really an onsight was it?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Sep 2002
I reckon we could use that in Western Grit - cracking shot Grommit! How does £20 sound?? It might even make the front cover!

All the best

Chris
OP Michael Ryan 19 Sep 2002
In reply to Chris Craggs:

.....n' shurely it's only E5 now Chris as the Thaw has clearly shown that the fall ain't that bad...

M
johncoxmysteriously 20 Sep 2002

On the contrary, Mick, Julian Lines tested it many years ago and walked away. Now we know that one might actually break a limb, I'd say E9.

And at least we know it was on-sight, because as far as I can see from the photos our hero is totally f*cking up the top move, which is no doubt why he ended on the floor!
OP Michael Ryan 20 Sep 2002
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Interesting John.

So E9 does not mean certain injury or death.

What does it mean?

6b or 6c with no gear with the "potential" for certain death or injury?

Mick
 StuartM 20 Sep 2002

> And at least we know it was on-sight, because as far as I can see from the photos our hero is totally f*cking up the top move, which is no doubt why he ended on the floor!

LOL, thanks John, that brightened up my morning

i'd not actually noticed the fact before you pointed it out
 Dave Garnett 20 Sep 2002
In reply to StuartM:

I just assumed he was going to do it a different way. People are allowed to do that. It's not the way I did it (on a rope, for research purposes, you understand), but then it took me three goes, so I'd have ended up in North Staffs too.

I have to say I'm inclined more towards the downgrading argument than the converse. Presumably you wouldn't get off so lightly from, say, End of the Affair?
 Adam Lincoln 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Well EOTA has been tested, and a bloody head was the result...
Anonymous 20 Sep 2002

>
> So E9 does not mean certain injury or death.
>
> What does it mean?
>
> 6b or 6c with no gear with the "potential" for certain death or injury?
>
> Mick

Bishop Highball!!!?
 Dave Garnett 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Now you mention it, I do remember the tasteful photo. So, what are we saying? That if someone falls off an E8 and kills themselves we'll upgrade it, but if they sustain minor injuries it's probably about right for 6b/6c?

All we need is a large enough sample to make the quantitative analysis robust...
 Adam Lincoln 20 Sep 2002

Not at all...

Dont forget its also how hard/sustained/obviousness of sequence/ not just boldness/chance of injury if you fall off.

As far as EOTA goes and OF, they are not particuarly hard, but are very delicate, not obvious what to do AND both are really ones not to fall off
 StuartM 20 Sep 2002

> I have to say I'm inclined more towards the downgrading argument than the converse.

I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking Dave!
 Dave Garnett 20 Sep 2002
In reply to StuartM:

I am very conscious of being way out of my depth here. I'll leave it for the likes of you and Adam to fight it out. Theoretical analytical logic only gets you so far!
 Adam Lincoln 20 Sep 2002

Err, well ive not done it yet, but want to try and flash it when the conditions are right, as do a few other people...
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
I reckon it's low end E8 for the theoretical on-sight. It is a long way to fall and a not especially inviting landing.
 Tom Briggs 20 Sep 2002

I thought OF had been downgraded by those in the know seeing as it's supposed to be a path? Plus two people have now fallen off it. Had a look at Readza's grit list for E8 and half of them are unrepeated!
 StuartM 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Adam Lincoln: best of luck Adam - like you say its thin, tenuous and not that obvious exactly how to approach it. Top climb though (just wish i hadn't bottled it on the day i went to do it).
 Tom Briggs 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

According to Jon Read, 10,000 maniacs is 8a and the fall is probs from the same height as OF which is 7a???? and New Statesman is 7c+ and looks like the fall is worse
 Adam Lincoln 20 Sep 2002

10,000 maniacs fall is a lot less than Obsession, surely?

grimer 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Adam Lincoln: I asked Kevin last night, and it was an attempted on sight. Wow. He just said he saw it from the side and it all made sense, so he gave it a go. Fair enough.
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
The crux of 10000 maniacs is the first move, the crux of Obsession is the last move. Then there are a few 6c moves. The top is relatively easy (and lower than Obsession Fatale). I doubt that 10000 maniacs is 8a (as Johnny says) I can't climb 8a.
Dunno about New statesman.
In reply to Nik at work:

Is 10,000 Maniacs what I think it is - the equivalent of Scritto's Republic, but one wall to the L? If so, then I'm not in a position to contradict you, but the top sure as hell doesn't look easy on the video when DH (?) is shaking like a bastard on it and some gallant figure is weaving around 40' below with his arms outstretched, trying not to trip over the mat while crying 'I've got you', or something equally improbable. Gripping.

My E9 comment re OF was a joke, obviously. But I must say I'd sooner fall off New Statesman - as long as I had prudently stationed TB or some other fine member of society on that boulder first. I suppose the trouble with OF is you can't be sure where you're going to go once you've finished bouncing, so you can't really mat it out. On the other hand, of course, at least you're not accelerating so fast.
 Adam Lincoln 20 Sep 2002
10,000 is a lot lot lot shorter than scritos!
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
Yup dats the right route. Dan does make the top look very hard. But it isn't. The move he spends ages on is one of the easier moves on the route. Which is strange as he cruises the hard bit. But it is definitely gripping video, and really highlights how small mats can seem and how useless spotting can appear (not a criticism of the spotter).

Incidentally after Dan tops out he is shouting and whooping and this old couple walk past looking very confused. I think it got cut from the video but it is very funny.
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
Oh and I'd say closer to 30'.
NeilK 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nik at work:

Yeah, I remember Dan saying that the move he sketches on is about 5b/c! If you listen carefully I think you can hear him say "1, 2, 3,..." as he commits to the move. Hilarious!
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
In reply to NeilK:
Yeah its mad. 5b/c sounds about right.
I've never heard the couting though - I will check it out tonight.
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nik at work:
That is COUNTING not COUTING. I mean of course I've heard the couting, who hasn't?
daveP 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nik at work: I heard that DH got low crux of 10000Maniacs wired on toprope, and thus didn't really bother working "easy" the top section, only to get a nasty surprise on the lead!!
 Skyfall 20 Sep 2002
In reply to Nik at work:

what video is it on?
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
In reply to daveP:
I, think although I could be wrong, that he worked the lower crux moves to get them wired. Whereas he just had a go at the top, felt it was OK so didn't bother trying that bit again, and hence the nasty suprise.
I am absolutely certain that he didn't do it in a oner before trying to lead it.
Nik at work 20 Sep 2002
In reply to JonC:
It's on the some climbers video. Which is no longer available. If you're really interested I have a copy you could borrow.
In reply to JonC:

Cult classic A Film About Some Climbers

You can definitely hear the counting. And he definitely whoops quite a bit, tho' I don't remember the elderly couple.
Nik at home 20 Sep 2002
They could well have ended up on the cutting room floor - but their bemused look is priceless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...