UKC

can anyone be bothered to answer a question about socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
need extra warm mountaineering socks, problem is can't find any that are loose enough to go over thick liners, my lovely warm alpine woollies are to tight (I've got size 12 feet) and need something for minus 40 deg c

any ideas of the socks and stockists
 Reach>Talent 30 Jun 2007
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:
Smartwool winter socks seem to come up fairly big; I've got size 12.5 feet and they seem big on me with thin-medium liners on. I got some from Cotswold Outdoor.
 Ian McNeill 30 Jun 2007

Bridgdale socks win hands down for me.
 Mystery Toad 30 Jun 2007

Say ya got "boat feet"?

......Clansman! I've got the sasquatch feet too.
If you get stuck and happen to have an old wooden shoe stretcher (or something similar) shove that sucker in them while they're wet and they should in time retain their looseness.
In reply to all: cheers folks!
 Bob 30 Jun 2007

At those temperatures I'd consider thinking about vapour barrier liners to prevent moisture from your feet reducing the insulation of the main sock. You wear a thin liner, then the vapour barrier sock then your main sock. The inner sock gets damp but are easily dried out in the evening - obviously worth having a few pairs. The system feels odd at first as your feet feel like they are sliding around but you can climb OK.

boB
 Ruth 30 Jun 2007

Rock and run have smartwool expedition socks in size XK in their sale.

Link below

http://www.rockrun.com/shop/type.html?d=5&t=341&sid=e73828e252c8ae8...
In reply to Bob: thanks for that Bob, tried something similar but got the idea wrong and had vapour barriers next to my feet and ended up with 50p size blisters on the soles of my feet! will experiment with this system though as I've got six months before we go
In reply to Ruth: thanks, might get some
climbofalifetime 03 Jul 2007
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III: Have you tried Lorpens before? They make some great high altitude socks and am pretty sure they come in super size! Not sure where to get them in the UK- I got mine in Chamonix and you can order them online. http://www.lorpen.com/catalogo.jsp?deporte=TE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...