UKC

Soft shell trousers, help please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exile 02 Jul 2007
Now that Patagonia seem to have stopped making the mixed master pants, what other soft shell winter weight trousers are out there and worth using?
In reply to Exile: dunno, but the mixmaster will make a reappearence this winter in the form of the the super alpine guide of something like that.

Great trousers btw.

HTH.
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

As per above, the new 'Super winter guide pants' are due for release in September at around £180 (ish)...
 london_huddy 02 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile:
A pair of ronnies under some Guides.

Just the ronnies for a warm walk-in and then with the Guides for the climb.
In reply to Speedy_Gonzales:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley)
>
> As per above, the new 'Super winter guide pants' are due for release in September at around £180 (ish)...

Sorry make that 'Winter Guide Pants'...
> (In reply to Speedy_Gonzales)
>
> Sorry make that 'Winter Guide Pants'...

I imagine they will be super though..
OP Exile 02 Jul 2007

Thanks for that, will wait and see what I think of them.
GavH 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile:

I think PARAMO CASCADA counts as soft shell. I've got a pair and have no complaints.
 withey 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile:

Mammut Base Jumps have always had a good following, and don't get trashed easily. Even by MRT's, or Nat Park Warden. Depends if Schoeller is a decent enough fabric for you. Itcan get and stay wet, which makes it damn cold! Well a jacket I onc had did anyway.
task-o 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile:

If you want something similar to the Mixmaster, then there's the Arcteryx Gamma MX pants, or alternatively use some like the Patagonia Super Guide or Mammut Base Jump pants with a merino/synthetic base layer. I have a pair of the Patagonia Speed Ascent pants (forerunner of the Mixmasters) and to be honest, they're fantastic for winter climbing, but way too warm for summer alpine use. You might be better off with the versatility of a 2 part system unless you want dedicated winter trousers.
In reply to task-o: Second Mammut base jump pants - no complaints at all. Regards IIM
 Eddie1234 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile: Rab VR Trail Pants look good, never used them and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on them??
 dek 03 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile: I just bought a pair of Mammut Castor softshell pants, that are too wee! what size are you?
 Gareth James 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Eddie1234: Rab VR Trail Pants were brilliant in Scotland, and I'm sure they'll do well in the Alps. Make sure you wear gaiters otherwise you'll crampon them to bits, as they're not that durable, but otherwise like pyjamas to the skin.
kentoncool 08 Jul 2007
In reply to Exile:
Try the Mountain Hardwear Syncro pant, used them all winter out here in the alps. After a number routes on the granite out here they are almost untouched. Good for skiing and don't look too out of place in the bar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...