UKC

Ben Heason solos 8b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 21 Sep 2002
Just to prove that 8b isn't that hard Ben Heason has just solo'ed one, and with climbers onsighting harder than this it's clear that climbing, or at least sport climbing has no where near reached it's limit.

When climbers actually get really really strong we might see some gains above 9a+.

From 8a.nu

"Ben Heason has soloed Carra Cangresso, 8b, at Tonsai, Thailand. Considering Ben has never climbed anything harder than 8b that's pretty imressive... "

Mick
wee Davie 22 Sep 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

How long was the route?

Davie non 8b boy
OP Michael Ryan 22 Sep 2002
In reply to wee Davie:

23.453 m
wee Davie 22 Sep 2002

I've seen Marlina 7b + @ Dunkeld (solo'ed by 'the Brat') and that is quite mental enough thank you.
wee Davie 22 Sep 2002

> 23.453 m

fcuk
 Jon Greengrass 22 Sep 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Is that the hardest solo ever?
OP Michael Ryan 22 Sep 2002
In reply to Jon Greengrass:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA) Is that the hardest solo ever?

Be specific!

after practice (lead or t.r) or on-sight?

alpine, sport, trad, himalyan, sea cliff, or ice?

Mick
 Ropeboy 22 Sep 2002

That certainly is impressive!

Ben's hard grit solo's must have been good preparation for soloing this sport route. Didn't he o/s solo an 8a last time he was there?

I wonder how he got off?

I wonder if it's easier, but quite scary, if you don't have to stop to clip?

I think I'll nip over to PlanetFear and see if they've got any more info seeing how Matt is involved with PlanetFear.

J
 Graeme 22 Sep 2002
In reply to Jon Greengrass: Mark Leach soloed Sean's roof God knows how many years ago. But in reality it does seem to be an extended boulder problem when you consider it was bolted from the roof of Sean's car. A 75' route inn contrast to the 30' (maybe) of Sean's roof.

Goddam Heason's on form.
 StuartM 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: impressive effort, it has got a mighty nice landing but i'm sure even sand hurts from that height.
Steve Taylor 23 Sep 2002
In reply to StuartM:

Maybe it was a DWS?
 StuartM 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Steve Taylor: trust me, it ain't - in fact. very few route there are. too much hassle to access them when you can just step off the beach onto other stuff i s'pose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...