UKC

What attracts midges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris Tan.Clone II 12 Jul 2007
A little "outside the bog" thinking here.

If you use midge-repellant, you just make the midges go away! But where do they go to? The next person with less powerful midge-repellant??

It becomes an arms race where the only winner will be the damn midges!

What if we had midge attractant, like those UV-zappers in kitchens that kill flies or even sticky midge-paper. Surely the combination of repellant and attractant will make the area more midge free.

Nicola Seal, resident midge-expert?
 JLS 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris Tan.Clone II:

>"What attracts midges?"

CO2
satori 12 Jul 2007

there are reports each year of experiments with the CO2 attractant devices.
here's one from 2002.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,714407,00.html
 Mike C 12 Jul 2007

As JLS says, it's CO2, more pertinantly, your breath. That's how the Midgeeaters & similar machines work, by attracting them into a death trap. The machines do work, but only cover a limited area.

Once your breath attracts them to you, their propensity to bite depends on you. Some folk have chemicals in the skin or thereabouts that mask the "here's blood" signs.

You surmise correctly that the best midge-repellant is to have someone more biteable with you.
Chris Tan.Clone II 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Mike C:

"Climbing partner wanted, any grade provided you are irresistable to midges."

GrahamD 12 Jul 2007
In reply to JLS:

Has colour got anything to do with it ? are they more attracted to particular colours ?
 JLS 12 Jul 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

I believe black clothing is bad, white is good.
satori 12 Jul 2007
In reply to GrahamD:

i understand that they are repelled by the colour pink and shiny or smooth surfaces.

i recommend all climbers should wear pink lycra during midge season.
> (In reply to Mike C)
>
> "Climbing partner wanted, any grade provided you are irresistable to midges."
>
>

Girls, for some reason midges love 'em.
 Mike C 12 Jul 2007
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> I believe black clothing is bad, white is good.

Pretty sure you are right there. They don't like bright light, so lighter clothing will scare them away more.
If they have any fashion sense I'm sure they'll avoid satori in pink lycra!
 Mike C 12 Jul 2007
> (In reply to Mike C)
>

I have one of those, but she's mine, all mine I tell you. I only share her with midges

AG 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris Tan.Clone II: i think certain people are more prone to midge attack, depending on skin type/odour they give off.
My italian wife gets really badly bitten and gets a really bad reaction , while i don't get anything except a small red dot, which goes away within a hour or so ....( they still drive me insane though). However when i go across to italy i get a really bad reaction to mozzie's while she doesn't.....maybe what your exposed to when your younger?
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
> (In reply to Mike C)
>
>
>

You called!? LOL.
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
In reply to AG:
> (In reply to Chris Tan.Clone II) i think certain people are more prone to midge attack, depending on skin type/odour they give off.
> My italian wife gets really badly bitten and gets a really bad reaction , ...

I think how you react to the bites is a big factor. I react quite badly - takes weeks for bites to go away even if I don't scratch them enough to break the skin. If I get enough bites I tend to get a kind of general allergic yuk feeling. Pass the antihistamines!

Oh, and I was exposed to midgies a lot when I was a child and it doesn't seem to have given me any immunity at all.
 Mike C 12 Jul 2007
In reply to cathsullivan:

You maybe should consider taking anti-histamines as a prophylactic to prevent reaction. My g/f has discussed this with her GP after she had a particularly nasty reaction after getting very badly bitten (I had tied her to a tree at the bottom of a crag). She had flu-like symptoms & had to take time off work.
 ebygomm 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Mike C:

I used to take antihistamines before I got bitten, at first they worked, but then they stopped having any affect.

I'm still looking for someone who can attract stuff away from me.
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Mike C:
> (In reply to cathsullivan)
>
> You maybe should consider taking anti-histamines as a prophylactic to prevent reaction.

Mmmm, that's not a bad idea. Bit expensive though. I have found that taking antihistamines straight away really helps.

> She had flu-like symptoms & had to take time off work.

That's a bit like what happened to me last time I got badly bitten (long route, no wind, claggy and warm, insect repellant in sac at bottom of route - doh!). People tend to think that I'm being very weird and histrionic but I'm sure it's a real physiological effect. Horse flies are the worst - I got bitten twice on one leg once and that made me feel really ill.
 ebygomm 12 Jul 2007

> Mmmm, that's not a bad idea. Bit expensive though.

Should be able to get your GP to prescribe them, cheaper that way.

Horse flies are the one thing that don't bother me, they like to chase me but never actually bite.
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
In reply to ebygomm:
>
> Horse flies are the one thing that don't bother me, they like to chase me but never actually bite.

You luck, lucky barsteward! They are evil 'cos you can't tell they're on you until they sink their teeth in.
 Mike C 12 Jul 2007
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Mike C)
> I'm still looking for someone who can attract stuff away from me.

Ha! Mikkel's no use then!
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007

Actually, not sure they have teeth - lol. You know what I mean.
 ebygomm 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Mike C:

> Ha! Mikkel's no use then!

Nope, worse than useless!

ebygomm 12 Jul 2007

Don't think I've ever seen horse flies in the UK, either that or they don't look like the american horse flies I'm used to.

Deer fly bites are meant to be painful like horse fly bites but I've only ever noticed when i see the blood trickling down my skin.
 sandywilson 12 Jul 2007

Lancashire Quarries are midge sink holes. Every midge in england is irresistibly drawn towards Lancashire. Regular napalming of Lancs Quarries will eventually elliminate English midges. Scotland is a different matter, a thermonuclear strike is the only solution.
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
In reply to ebygomm: I don't think I saw them much where I grew up (Midlands) but there seems to be quite a few in the North West of England - especially where it's boggy, which seems to often be where I can be found.
 sandywilson 12 Jul 2007

Citronella keeps Horse Flies away!
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
In reply to sandywilson:
>
> Citronella keeps Horse Flies away!

Really? That's worth knowing. I've got some midge repellant that has citronella in it. Must remember to wear it when I go running around in Lancashire bogs!
 sandywilson 12 Jul 2007
> when I go running around in Lancashire bogs!

Watch out for ticks!
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2 12 Jul 2007
In reply to sandywilson:

Ticks, midges, mozzies, leeches, tapeworms, etc.

And man thinks he's on top of the food chain!
 tanssop 12 Jul 2007

They probably come after me. I am a midge magnet and I react badly to bites. Midges are my outdoor nemesis. I have a new no camping policy in Scotland after last year in Skye and Torridon, especially Torridon, there is reason that campsite is free...
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
In reply to sandywilson:
> [...]
>
> Watch out for ticks!

Oh my God - I'm a bundle of nerves!!
In reply to tanssop:
> especially Torridon, there is reason that campsite is free...

I feel your pain! If you could rate midge-infested cess pits, I'll give Anglezarke a Mega-Midge rating, Torridon definitely get Terra-Midge!!!

sandywilson 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLIX SP2:
>
> And man thinks he's on top of the food chain!

My favourite http://www.cvm.okstate.edu/~users/jcfox/htdocs/Disk1/images/Img0070a.jpg

In reply to sandywilson:

It's a Guild Navigator!
 newhey 12 Jul 2007

I stayed in a house near Torridon a few weeks ago that had one of those midge eating machines (powered by calor gas). It worked very well, catching about a pound of midges every day. The only problem is that all the midges for miles around came to the house and the machine, making the garden completely unusable in the evening, despite the nice weather. If we were to set these midge eating machines up in more remote areas then surely they would be be attracted there and would leave us all alone.

For those who arent aware of the midge eating machines:

http://www.midgeater.co.uk

Simon
 cathsullivan 12 Jul 2007
> (In reply to tanssop)
> [...]
>
> I feel your pain! If you could rate midge-infested cess pits, I'll give Anglezarke a Mega-Midge rating, Torridon definitely get Terra-Midge!!!

Torridon's a lot nice than Anglezarke though. No such thing as a free lunch (unless you're a midgie).
 JDDD 12 Jul 2007
In reply to JLS:

> CO2

Cricky. Does that mean that I emit more CO2 than other people who don't get bitten by midges? Am I therefore less environmentally friendly with a larger carbon footprint?

eeek!
 Mystery Toad 12 Jul 2007

What attracts midges?

Your spinal fluid. It's the perfect medium for their larvae.
 tanssop 12 Jul 2007

My night on Torridon campsite: Arrive in mild wind, thinks hmm not bad and free. Few pints in hotel other side of loch. Great walk back etc. Wake up to the sound of much gnashing of teeth and wailing from fellow campsiters who are trying to pack up. Thinks, cant be that bad. Sounds like it is very finely spitting on tent. Get outside, find its dry as a bone and swarming with midge kamikaze fighters intent on driving the human race from the camp site. Eventually fight my way to car and sit for a while, looking at the midge horde at windows. Have to keep running away from tent and then back whilst packing up due to snatch squads. Throw everything in car and drive off with car full of midges and all windows down. By this point I am bit to ****. Get to car park near Benn Aligin. Car still full. Get out and find midges still swarming in car park. Get gear together and head up hill. Each time I stop I get swathed in midge guerilla fighters and have to keep going. Only releived of the enemy at the top.

Never camp in Torridon in August...
 Harry The Owl 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris Tan.Clone II: Other really good looking midges???
In reply to Harry The Owl:

IIRC it's only the females that bite ( sound familiar). They've just had a jolly good rogering and need the extra nourishment to make eggs.
 Mystery Toad 12 Jul 2007
> (In reply to Harry The Owl)
>
> IIRC it's only the females that bite ( sound familiar). They've just had a jolly good rogering and need the extra nourishment to make eggs.

Which they inject into your spinal fluid!
In reply to Mystery Toad:

<Nudge! Nudge!> <Wink! Wink!>

Psssst! The medication isn't working. Time for another dose?
 JLS 12 Jul 2007

What were the midges like in Nam in '72 Toad? I bet you have a story to tell.
 coinneach 12 Jul 2007
In reply to JLS:

Having a Ginger climbing partner / wife is useful..................we've also wild camped in Torridon in August.............I'm itchy just thinking about it!
 Mystery Toad 12 Jul 2007
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Mystery Toad)
>
> What were the midges like in Nam in '72 Toad? I bet you have a story to tell.

Congratulations!
That is the least amusing and most unfortunate attempt at humour I've seen in weeks!
If you truly knew anything at all about the Viet Nam War you'd hang your head in shame.
No worries though, I know you meant well.
Just......give it a think next time, eh?
 sandywilson 12 Jul 2007

Sense of humour failure award 2007 goes to Regis!
 JLS 12 Jul 2007

>"Just......give it a think next time, eh?"

(the midges were)That bad,eh?
 Mystery Toad 12 Jul 2007
In reply to sandywilson:
> (In reply to Mystery Toad)
>
> Sense of humour failure award 2007 goes to Regis!

You already know my name isn't Regis Sandy.
Hmm. Strange, but when in live chatrooms I always have the lasses that know me in stitches. It's granted that my sense of humour takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not particularly cryptic and never attempts to employ refferences to horrific, tragic wars that continue to cause unfathomable suffering for a "laugh".
If you were Yank you'd understand: jokes about the Viet Nam War aren't funny. You'll NEVER hear them here. There are good reasons for this.
No worries though.
 fedster187 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Chris Tan.Clone II: best way army idea
get the 1 person in the group u dislike and change there repellent to sugar and water and hey presto midge free day...
 sandywilson 12 Jul 2007
>
> If you were Yank you'd understand: jokes about the Viet Nam War aren't funny. You'll NEVER hear them here. There are good reasons for this.

It's called black humour; ever read Catch-22, watched M*A*S*H, etc.?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...