UKC

Serious Tendon Question: Am I In Trouble?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mystery Toad 18 Jul 2007
Due to lengthy exposure to chemicals (non toxic) the tendon to my left pinky has tightened and hardened right to the center of my palm. It's still flexable to a point but I'm unable to completely straighten the finger without assistance from the other hand. It's not painful, just....worrisome and before I schedule a doctors appt to have it looked into I thought I'd check in the one place where I'm most likely to get spot on leads.
Cheers
In reply to Mystery Toad:

You're going to die. Horribly.

No idea what's up with your hand though.
 niggle 18 Jul 2007

Sorry to hear that. What chemicals do you think caused it?

Where did your other reply go!

:0)

If you've been dealing with chemicals then you really should go see the doc, especially if the problem seems to be spreading.
OP Mystery Toad 18 Jul 2007
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

The way of the do-do.

It's not spreading.

As Niggle said, what chemicals were you using?
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

http://www.keepcondom.com/images/products/wet_original1.jpg

NO no no you dirty minded sods I'm fairly certain it's due to strong soaps.
 Pauline 18 Jul 2007
In reply to Mystery Toad: soaps? how the heck can soap do that? Is it not just trigger finger? like maggie thatcher had?
In reply to Pauline:

Hand soap is made from lye unless I'm mistaken.
Even if it isn't any longer soap dries the skin and if you've been for example a dishwasher (dishwashing detergent is powerful stuff) it might conceivably soak through the flesh over time and affect the muscles.
That's my guess anyway.
Cats 19 Jul 2007

What makes you think it's chemicals that have caused this? Google this: dupuytren's contracture

And see: http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=138&section...
Agent Moog 19 Jul 2007
In reply to Cats:

Agreed, sounds just like Dupuytren's.
Cats 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Agent Moog:
> (In reply to Cats)
>
> Agreed, sounds just like Dupuytren's.

It also occured to me today that a detergent strong enough to cause problems with tendons would almost certainly cause dermatitis first.

OP Mystery Toad 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Cats:

Of course there's drying and peeling of skin, but like a sun burn that heals quickly.
 tattoo2005 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Mystery Toad: I'm having problems with my elbow tendon just now. The physio thinks the pain is being referred from my spine but my GP says the symptoms are the same as tendonitis, jeez conflicting information or what! I'm just trying to ice it and take anti-inflammatories but if anyone has any info on elbow tendonitis it would be much appreciated, I can't help thinking my physio is wrong

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...