UKC

Belaying directly from an anchor when pregnant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich L 19 Jul 2007
Next week I intend to go climbing with my wife and kids. My eldest child is 7 and my wife is 7 months pregnant, which presents something of a belaying dilemma if I choose to have a climb.

I understand that an Italian hitch attached to directly to a ground anchor can be used with groups or novices when top roping, but I would still be concerned about the affect on my wife of holding a fall.

I was therefore thinking of using my Grigri instead of the Italian Hitch, and was interested on hearing from anyone who has used this set up, or other alternatives, particularly from ladies who have been at the sharp end, and how their bump felt after holding a fall.

Cheers, Rich
karl walton 19 Jul 2007
In reply to Rich L:
The Italian hitch as you say is used routinely like that in group work.
I suppose a GriGri would be better but might cause issues with lowering depending on how you rigged it.
I recall several thread with comments from women who have climbed when 5 months plus pregnant. Search beyond 6 months ago and you should find them.
 SebCa 19 Jul 2007
In reply to Rich L: or any belay device, not just a gri gri, if you plan on using a ground anchor make sure it is solid and capable of holding a fall, if you missus is just pulling the rope through for you etc i dont really see a problem, failing that, if you 7yr old is a compus mentus one why not show him/her the skills, he will feel he is helping dad climb etc, best bet is to start off on easy climbs, mods and the odd diff, something you hopefully are not going to come off and could possibly solo and just have a play around, teach him/her to hold falls at low level. If its all from a ground anchor i can see no circus trip of you coming down and him going up. Remember its all about the fun!
 Morgan Woods 19 Jul 2007
In reply to Rich L:

Funny you mention it....i wa at Buoux in june without a partner one day so i went to the crag to look around. I saw a heavily pregnant lady belaying her hubby and offered to team up. She was using a gri gri slung to a tree which seemed to be working fine. He was leading some hardish sports stuff but it worked only on routes with a tree at the bottom. But i imagine some other type of ground anchor would work although i think a gri-gri would work better than an italian hitch or atc/reverso.
Sir Edmund 20 Jul 2007
In reply to Rich L:

Just remember to check the anchor is strong enough to take the direct force.

Also remember that some belay devices need to be operated from behind, eg most belay plates. Others eg italian hitches are best controlled from in front of the device.

Know your equipment!

Happy climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...