UKC

Stevie Haston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 Jul 2007

Last time I heard of him he was writing for 'Climb' but I haven't seen an article of his for a while. What happened, did he fall out with them?

FWIW I quite liked the guy. I didn't agree with everything he said but he was/is a bloody good climber and definately 'walked the walk'.
 Thrudge 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Removed User:
Agreed, and I also found him to be a lucid and entertaining writer. I miss his articles.
Removed User 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Tony Naylor:

He really was quite entertaining as a speaker aswell. One of the reasons I thought about him was because of the other thread about drugs in climbing. I'm sure Stevie made some very clear comments about this in one of his articles to the effect that they were being used but I can't remember the details. He didn't often pull his punches.
 blueshound 27 Jul 2007

He's Dougal Haston's long lost brother, dontcha know.
rehab21 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Removed User: Doesn't everyone know this anyway? Have a search for advice on how to take Creatine, for example.
TimS 27 Jul 2007
In reply to rehab21:
> Have a search for advice on how to take Creatine, for example.

??? Creatine is a training supplement available in a wide range of shops and is not banned by any sporting bodies as far as I know.

Jesus Christ 27 Jul 2007
In reply to rehab21: Will it work by the weekend. Gotta be better than mushrooms!
 UKB Shark 27 Jul 2007
In reply to TimS: Creatine is a training supplement available in a wide range of shops and is not banned by any sporting bodies as far as I know.

Its not going anywhere near my sporting body. As cheating goes its worse than being teetotal.
TimS 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon Lee: A bit of Creatine and some protein supplement and you might have already reported some 8b redpoint success in the fit club topic

As far as Mr Haston goes, he seemed to have been doing a lot of talking the talk and a little less wlaking the walk in the past few years...
rehab21 27 Jul 2007
In reply to TimS: True, but how do you distinguish between a training supplement and a (banned) performance enhancing drug? I know creatine is naturally produced in our bodies, but then so is testosterone etc. If I was being cynical, I'd say that creatine isn't banned yet because the IAAF is still working on a test that'll enable effective prosecution!

I'm not into all the ethical arguments about whether it's right or not, but creatine helps your body develop quicker, get stronger, faster and more efficient. It is, therefore, a performance enhancing drug.

If you eat lots of red meat, then the creatine is naturally occuring, but shovelling the stuff in as a liquid or powder is not natural.

Removed User 27 Jul 2007
In reply to TimS:

> As far as Mr Haston goes, he seemed to have been doing a lot of talking the talk and a little less wlaking the walk in the past few years...

Bit harsh given the level he climbs at and the fact that he must be in or near his 50's.
rehab21 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Jesus Christ: Mushrooms seem more aligned with stamina work - see wikipedia for an exploration of ancient mushroom munching tribespeople on the siberian steppe.

For the weekend - ephedrine (although this certainly is banned and illegal!). Or what is the altitude drug that encourages more red blood cells to carry the oxygen to where it's needed. Does the same thing, I think.
rehab21 27 Jul 2007
In reply to rehab21: Ignore the ephedrine thing - it's bollocks... I'm going dyslexic and can't remember the right words
 220bpm 27 Jul 2007
In reply to rehab21:
Or what is the altitude drug that encourages more red blood cells to carry the oxygen to where it's needed. Does the same thing, I think.

Is that the EPO stuff?

B*gger it, adrenale glands from one of those weird South American toads......
Simon Panton 27 Jul 2007
In reply to TimS: I'll be curious to know how much 'walking the walk' you'll be doing by the time you're a grandad (like Stevie is), eh Tim?
TimS 27 Jul 2007
In reply to Simon Panton:
> (In reply to TimS) I'll be curious to know how much 'walking the walk' you'll be doing by the time you're a grandad (like Stevie is), eh Tim?

Naturally I have nothing for respect for Mr Haston, and am just trying to develop a similar inflamatory writing style

I loved his articles, especially the 'three stages of Haston' one, which is probably one of my favourite bits of climbing writing ever.

bill briggs 28 Jul 2007
In reply to TimS:
> Naturally I have nothing for respect for Mr Haston, and am just trying to develop a similar inflamatory writing style

Steve's writing style has not been developed, it's just Steve.
As far as "walking the walk", any one who knows Steve would never think of of asking such a question.
 Al Evans 28 Jul 2007
In reply to rehab21:

> For the weekend - ephedrine (although this certainly is banned and illegal!). Or what is the altitude drug that encourages more red blood cells to carry the oxygen to where it's needed. Does the same thing, I think.

I think pseudoephidrine has been taken off the banned list. I'm not sure where I read this, it was sometime this week, probably relating to the TDF. Almost all of us who have ever had a cold will have taken ephedrine, its just an over the counter cold cure.
Personally I used to suffer badly with sinusitus and regularly used ephedrine nose drops, I am not aware it gave me any 'edge' when racing.
 Al Evans 28 Jul 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Found this
"Pseudoephedrine, an over-the-counter remedy for nasal and sinus congestion, was recently removed from the International Olympic Committee’s list of banned substances and placed on the monitoring programme because there was no evidence of an ergogenic effect. Now, however, a team of UK researchers have looked at the drug’s effects on 1,500m running performance and found that it reduced finish times by nearly six seconds, or 2.1%."
Sudafed and Benyln Flu remedy are basically pseudoephedrine. Ephedrine is still banned.

Al Evans 28 Jul 2007
In reply to Al Evans: I cant believe 6 seconds on 1500 mts, that's collosal!
 Paz 02 Aug 2007

I thought he was great too. Whenever it was a shit OTE month, he made it still worth reading in the shop. Come back Stevie. We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're scum!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...