UKC

Vibram soles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CENSORED 27 Sep 2002
Is it just me or are these things treacherous on wet rock?
Alexandra 27 Sep 2002
In reply to CENSORED:

They can be - at least mine are... I always try to rub my foot (with the boot on ) in some mud/sand, just to add to the grip.
Removed User 27 Sep 2002
In reply to CENSORED:
Deadly- especially at the top end of Lathkil Dale!
OP CENSORED 27 Sep 2002
I spent a nice part of last night slipping & sliding away on my way down from Cwm Bochlwyd!!
O Mighty Tim 27 Sep 2002
In reply to CENSORED: Thank Dog you lot suffer, too. I thought it was just me. Fell over just about everywhere...
I now find more grip on Salomon Contagrip.
They seem to work better.

OP CENSORED 27 Sep 2002
In reply to O Mighty Tim: It seems to be more of an issue on stiffer "mountain" boots. I'm trying to break mine in for this winter season, but last night it was "moider".
WCDave 27 Sep 2002
In reply to CENSORED: Should've put yer crampons on then.
OP CENSORED 27 Sep 2002
In reply to WCDave: I'd have probably been better off if I had!
Animal 28 Sep 2002
In reply to CENSORED: Hmm not really had that much of a problem the soles on my Sportiva Nepal Extremes are Vibram and they are wicked. Surely it depends on rock type......
 Yanchik 28 Sep 2002
In reply to CENSORED:

Loads of happy years in Scarpa Mantas with Vibram soles, no problem.

Bought a pair of Scarpa Cerro Torres this year to get a bit more serious. Got a bit more serious - no problem. They have Vibram soles too, I think ?

Late summer this year, got out my old Daisy Roots Sympatex lightweights for a gentle trundle up Bristly Ridge. My word, that was scary. No grip whatsoever. I think they're a much harder rubber.

I suspect it depends what you've got yourself used to.

I suspect also that "Vibram soles" can't all be the same ?
Do they not tailor the compound (ie. hardness) to the intended application, at least a little bit ?

Y
Nick Ward 28 Sep 2002
In reply to Yanchik: the vibram will differ depending on intended use - hence approach shoes wil me a much softer rubber, grip much more, and as a result, wear out quickly - at the other end of the scale, a heavy duty winter mountaineering boot requires a heavier stiffer sole, that wears our less, and is consequently less gripy.

Depends on the boot/sole, and as always, is always a compromise...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...