UKC

Mountain Marathon Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
caroleb 17 Aug 2007
Help! Can anyone recommend a decent rucksack for mountain marathoning?

I'm off to Sweden next week to do my first one (BAMM), I'm doing an easy 30K course where the organisers take the sleeping bag and tent to the overnight for us, but I'm also doing the OMM on October so want something that will do them both.

Have looked at the OMM 32L, but to be honest I'm not excited by it. Has anyone got any opinions on the Lowe Alpine Marathon 32, the Salamon Raid Revo or Raidlight Adventure?

Cheers, you would be helping me out immensely!

C x
Anita 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb: Got the LA rush (27l) which is fantastic. Used it for about 7 MMs now and most of my summertime hillwalking. Looking at the Marathon it doesn't have as many bells and whistles but it's a great sack and seems almost indestructible. I use a bladder rather than a mug for water so wouldn't need that and personally I prefer and lid on my sacks.
I've also got a salamon raid revo 15l for summer day hill runs which I've had for about 8 months now and love. Is it the 30l you're looking at? It doesn't look like it's got mesh side pockets which are useful but does have the waist ones which I use for most of my nibbles and compass / pen.
caroleb 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Anita:
Thanks for that, if an experienced MMer like yourself uses an LA pack then it must be good!! I was inclined towards the LA pack and after your recommendation I've ordered one.
Thanks again
C x
 BelleVedere 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb:

The impression i got when buying rucksaks was that the lighter weight ones have less adjust-ability in the back section - might be worth trying them on for comfort in the shop - they should be able to load them up with the weight you expect to be carrying

(i got a OMM one - but its more for lightweight backpacking than racing - its been great)
 Banned User 77 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb: Why did you not like the OMM?

I have the 25 L and have been very suprised by it's robustness and comfort. I have a lot of time for OMM gear I must say. Not seen the LA sack so cannot offer a comparison, but so far I don't have a negative comment re the OMM gear.

I've looked at Raid light and a few others, but do trust OMM gear (I also trust LA gear as well though), but havn't wanted to risk it when OMM gear is so cheap.
Anita 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb: Blimey! Hope you like it : )
 ben b 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb: Don't forget the Inov-8 packs too.
welshdragon 17 Aug 2007
In reply to Anita:
Salomon Raid Revo does have mesh side pockets on each side. Fantastic little bag but the lack of ang sort of padde back means you need to pck it really well or every little lump and nobble will jab you in the back. If you need to carry overnight kit anyway then this can be solved by cutting up a thin foam mat.
cut 2 pieces each the length and width of the back of the bag, then make a hinge between them along the narrow end using Gaffa tape. This will; give you a more useful shaped back and at night can be used as your sleeping mat (though it is a bit narrow unless your of the stick-insect build)
In reply to caroleb:

One thing I would consider is, IMHO, don't get anything larger than 25L. Last year's OMM saw me with Salomon Raid 15+3 sac... and I had room to spare (though it's taken me about five years to refine!!) Even the OMM, which is probably the "coldest" MM in the UK, you shouldn't need anything larger.
ceri 17 Aug 2007
In reply to brt: hmm, i think that really depends on your kit and how warm you run. I have a KIMM35l sack and rob has the new OMM 32l one. We could go a bit smaller, but our tent flysheet doesnt pack that small and i like to take a lot of clothes css i get cold easily. overall, i dont know if a 25l pack would do. After all, a big pack can be not quite filled, a small pack cant get bigger!
 MJH 17 Aug 2007
In reply to ceri: I started off with a the normal KIMM sac (35l) and have now moved to 25l. 25l is plenty and I still have space left....of course my partner now needs a 45l bag

Seriously even with fairly average kit ie not ultra minimalist 25l should be more than enough. The temptation to fill space is big with larger bags!

PS if you don't like the non-padded nature of the OMM sacks then either get a foam sit mat and stick it down the back (though the modern ones come with that) or use a foam mat as a tube to put all your kit inside.
In reply to ceri:

You need to be selective most definitely, but I didn't skimp.
satori 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb:

i'd echo the replies of anyone here telling you that 25l is a good mm pack size.

i've used a la rush 25l a good few times and i'd highly rate it. (the missus has a rush 27 and rates it also)

no experience of any of the packs you list (since my rush pack hasn't worn out yet), but all i'd say is look at each funtion of the pack. if you really don't think it helps you be efficient in a race get the scissors and cut it off!

it should be a basic bag on your back with not too many pockets. most things stay in it until the evening camp.
the exceptions are hip belt zip pockets - good for necking gels without stopping and ches.t strap bottle pockets if that is how you take you take your drink. obviously this is less important if you are somewhere you can forget bottles and just dip a cup in streams.

balloon beds help you fit everything in a 25l bag and give a good nights kip. anything else is too bulky imo.
 alifin 17 Aug 2007
In reply to caroleb:

I really like my OMM 25 litre. Very well thought out pack IMO. Recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...