UKC

Midges in Scotland in September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
darius_dale 20 Aug 2007
Hi

I'm off to Invergarry in mid September. Will I have missed most of he midges by then? Is it known for being a midge hotspot?

I haven't been to the Highlands before!

Darius
Iain Forrest 20 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:
Depends - September can be really bad for them, or they can be mostly gone. Hope for some frosts to kill them off.
Invergarry and the area around it can be quite midgey, aye.
PAMCOT 20 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:
> Hi
>
> I'm off to Invergarry in mid September. Will I have missed most of he midges by then? Is it known for being a midge hotspot?
>
> I haven't been to the Highlands before!
>
> Darius

GET HOLD OF AVONS "SKIN SO Soft"DRY OIL MOISTURISER i am every midges dream meal, but this really works , oF 10 IN OUR GROUPE CYCLING IN sCOYLAND ,I WAS THE ONLY UNBITTEN EVEN THE SAS USE IT!!
PAMCOT 20 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:
> Hi
>
> I'm off to Invergarry in mid September. Will I have missed most of he midges by then? Is it known for being a midge hotspot?
>
>
> Darius

GET HOLD OF AVONS "SKIN SO Soft"DRY OIL MOISTURISER i am every midges dream meal, but this really works , oF 10 IN OUR GROUPE CYCLING IN SCOTLAND ,I WAS THE ONLY UNBITTEN EVEN THE SAS USE IT!!
 Padraig 20 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:
Will I have missed most of he midges by then? NO!

Is it known for being a midge hotspot? YES!
 drunken monkey 20 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale: There is a high chance that it will be bad (Real bad). Take some good repellant, and seriously consider buying a midge net if your are planning on standing around outside for any length of time.
 Mike C 20 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:

You may be lucky, the temperatures have dropped off a lot from yesterday & after a few frosts they're usually pretty much gone. You may laugh about frosts, but it was 1 deg C in Crianlarich at 7am today.

On the other hand...........
darius_dale 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Mike C:

Thanks. I may travel from my hotel to the east coast each morning (1 hour drive) and do activities around there if midges bad, coming back to the hotel in the evening

I understand midges are OK on east coast
In reply to darius_dale:
They're nae so bad on the esat coast.
I always find the flying ticks are bad in Sept. Deer ticks?
They fly into your hair and then crawl up. Clever wee buggers and actually quite difficult to kill.
We had a terrible time with them in Glen Dessary last year, nearly drove us off the hills.
Iain Forrest 21 Aug 2007
In reply to PAMCOT:
Best not to use Skin So Soft. It makes you double-post, messes up your spelling and jams your caps lock.
darius_dale 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Graham Callander:

Thanks. That's sorted then; I'll travel to the East coast each day if lots of midges. And stay in Invergarry if not!
herbert the furry 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Graham Callander:

I think they are Deer Keds.

Herb
 rock-pizza 22 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:
> Hi
>
>
>
> Darius

if you come up they will be waiting for you ...LOL
 Mike C 22 Aug 2007
In reply to darius_dale:

This year has been odd for midges in my experience. It was predicted to be really bad after a mild winter, but it has seemed to be OK, as they go. Having said that I tend to get very annoyed by them but not bitten too much, but recently I haven't noticed them then have found bites 24-48 hours later.
 DougG 22 Aug 2007
In reply to Mike C:

They were bad on Flotta on Tuesday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...