UKC

Help! I'm covered in ticks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gybebunny 25 Aug 2007
Can I drown them in a hot bath?

They're still quite small so I can't get hold of them properly.

G
 The Lemming 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

And how did you get them?

Baaaaaaaaaaa
 Alan Taylor 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Cover then in vaseline,

Alan
 Al Evans 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Check out the articles and threads on this topic, All useful.
 The Lemming 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

Just pull them out.

I've done this on my dog. But be careful because the first time I tried this the tick exploded in my fingers.

The second one dropped out of my fingers and scuttled away.

DO NOT burn them as the little buggers puke crap into your bloodstream
 Trangia 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

Tweezers?

Apparently vaselene is no longer recommended as it makes them regurgitate the contents of their stomachs into you which can give you tick fever.
OP Gybebunny 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Yeah, the accepted wisdom is to careful remove with a twisting action trying not to leave any mouth parts behind, or suffocate them (rumours are that this makes them vomit or something).

Anyway, in practical terms this isn't really possible as I've too many and they're not that easy to reach some of them.

May go for vasline option. I've also heard nail polish works.

Oh what a fun saturday night.
OP Gybebunny 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

OK, vaseline out. Tweezers in.
 RockyRob 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

get yourself a big knife and remove with a flick/scrape type action
 The Lemming 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

We're all dieing to know how you got them.

Do tell

I sincerely hope sheep are involved
OP Gybebunny 25 Aug 2007
In reply to The Lemming:

Sheep were nowhere near the place which is why I got lulled into a false sense of security
 Al Evans 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Go for Bob Martins Dog Flea (pest) Shampoo, you can lie in the bathfull of it, then when they are done, have a proper bath
OP Gybebunny 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

They could make a fortune reselling it as anti-tick bubble bath, coming soon to a local beauty spot near you.

Anyway, have gone for a plucking action (pretended they were stray eyebrows). Seems to have worked. Go 20 so far.
 Bob 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

They're called sheep ticks but really just attach themselves to anything - deer, dogs, birds (the avian type).

Certain areas are worse than others - we had two areas of rough fell land on the farm - one was tick infested, the other virtually free, this despite the two areas being adjacent. We would get lambs from the infested fell with maybe a hundred ticks on them, sometimes ticks on ticks. This level of parasitic infestation would cause a condition where the blood of the host was watery from all the anti-coagulant of the ticks.

boB
OP Gybebunny 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Bob:

OK, I'm counting myself lucky with only 25 then. I'm off to dilute my blood with alcohol just to make sure I get rid of the rest of them.

Thanks All,
G
 antwan 25 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Dont flik them off, twist them out as the mouth extensions "wind in" so they dont get left behind when you gently pull them out!
 aln 26 Aug 2007
In reply to RockyRob: Stupid advice, don't scrape them off. Leaves the head in you, which leads to a longer period of swelling and itching that can last up to 6 months. Also possible increased risk of Lyme's disease. Take a firm grip of the wee buggers without squeezing hard enough for them to burst (having fun yet?) then twist and they should pop out without too much pulling.
Much easier too get someone else to do it for you but if you don't have that option... it's like scratching an itch, not that many places you can't reach yourself. Hope you don't have them between your shoulderblades.
superfurrymonkey 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Are you a boulder problem?
reu 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Grip them with tweezers then twist and pull in one movement but DONT leave the heads in. I don't want to sound negative or anything but apparently 1 in 3 ticks Carry's Lyme's disease, and you say you have 25! get them out quick is all i can say!
good luck.
Removed User 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

My daughter has had a couple in her hair this year which I pulled off with tweezers, luckily they had not started to swell up at that stage.
 Al Evans 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Ok, was hoping you would sort out all the previous help and threads on here on this, but if not I'll repeat my tip.
But Bob Martins flea shampoo, just put a match, or a needle, anything that will hold a drop (a dropper?) and just put one drop on each tick, thet withdraw their fangs/feet or whatever and just drop off dead. Best remedy I've ever discovered, due to having my dog with me on Jura.
 SouthernSteve 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:
f you pull them out grab the hard skeletal part next to your skin rather than the fleshy part. You can get plastic tick removers from the vets to help with this which are basically a bevelled plastic blade with a notch in the middle to pull them out at the skin surface.

Dog shampoos containing pyrethrin will be slow to kill the ticks and can also cause skin irritation in people and I wouldn't recommend bathing on this although applying shampoo to the ticks sounds like a safer plan.

If you have something really cold (below freezing) to get them chilly, they will lessen their grip, you could try the freezing spray used for sprains etc, but I haven't tried that and you will need to protect your skin with somekind of shield as the most of those sprays are not very directional.
 Jack 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: a short note in this months summit (BMC) says dont twist, pull them straight out.

Nothing is ever straight forward.
 David Riley 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Flea shampoo not being something I ever have 'in the cupboard'. I got to thinking. If, as SouthernSteve suggests, they are pyrethrin based. Then presumably a squirt of fly spray would have the same effect. However, being a nerve toxin, it might not be a good idea. They could have convulsions and give you Lyme disease before they go ?
 andi turner 26 Aug 2007
In reply to David Riley:

There is a tick removal spray you can get for dogs. I have some of this, but haven't had a tick since!
 SouthernSteve 26 Aug 2007
In reply to andi turner:
> There is a tick removal spray you can get for dogs.

Whats in that out of interest, is it a veterinary or pet shop product?
 David Riley 26 Aug 2007
In reply to andi turner: I bet it's just fly spray.
 andi turner 26 Aug 2007
In reply to David Riley:

Why do you think that?

It's called 'Sherley's Tick Away'. It cost about £3-4 and I'm willing to try anything when it comes to ticks. It came from the pet shop. It sparked a conversation with a friend of mine when I got it which revolved around "How come you can get everything for your pets in a pet shop, but there isn't a generic 'human shop' in which to buy everything from food to toys to tick-away?"

If it makes ticks drop off, then great. I've had lots of ticks in my life and so have my dogs, i've tried everything: tweezers, fingers, cotton lasoo and drinking straw, toothpaste, vaseline, nail varnish, cigarette or matches, hot spoon, tick levers etc I'd say more than 50% I don't get out properly!

Incidentally, on the nail varnish thing: Tip: if you've got a midge or mozzie bite that itches so you have to scratch it so it gets worse (you know the cycle!) put some nail varnish on it. It stops oxygen getting to the bite, which is what aggrivates the itching and helps the itch go away. Each time you scratch you open the bite a bit and let oxygen in you see.
 David Riley 26 Aug 2007
In reply to andi turner: Cos all they've got to do is take a tried and tested everyday product, print some doggy pics on it, and add the profit margin.
If it looks like fly spray, works like fly spray, then ...
 andi turner 26 Aug 2007
In reply to David Riley:

Why, does Fly Spray work for removing ticks too?
 David Riley 26 Aug 2007
In reply to andi turner:
I'm sure it will. As I said before, the question is, will the tick give you Lyme first ?
Removed User 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

Whichever way you get them out (I just use my nail) put some antiseptic cream on afterwards.

By the way, midge repellent also keeps ticks off, so it's worth spraying your ankles if your climbing somewhere with ferns or heather.
OP Gybebunny 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserGybebunny)
>

> By the way, midge repellent also keeps ticks off, so it's worth spraying your ankles if your climbing somewhere with ferns or heather.

That's reminded me to put the Jungle Formula in my bag for tomorrow. I'll can try it out and see if it works.

3 of my 25 tick bites are slightly raised and a tad itchy (but not too bad). Have doused them with TCP. I still think the tweezers and a good sharp pull is best. I always seem to put them apart if I do it gently.

Will let you all know if I develop Lyme's disease

Banned User 77 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Slow pull, not sharp pull, allow the tick time to let go.
OP Gybebunny 26 Aug 2007
In reply to IainRUK:

They don't seem to want to let go of me. I've tried, other people have tried. Those little buggers really dig in.
 HeMa 26 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

Get special tick-tweezers from the drugstore or a pet store. Or just use regular tweezers.

Grab 'em as close as possible to from the head, tighten the tweezers (the special ones will do that automaticly and look like this:
http://medisafety.com/webshop/images/PunkkiPihdit.jpg )
And twist 'em around for a round or two before starting to pull 'em out.

After getting rid of 'em. Check out for a bullseye rash for about 2 or 3 weeks where the ticks had bitten you. If you see such a thing, get to a doc and say that you might have Lyme disease (tell you were bitten by a tick and had the bullseye rash appear). And don't worry, if the Lyme disease is caught in the early stages, simply antibiotics will take care of it.

My sad personal record was only 7 ticks in one leg... 5 more on the other.
 aln 27 Aug 2007
In reply to Removed User: "midge repellant also keeps ticks off". No it doesn't.
Iain Forrest 27 Aug 2007
In reply to aln:
> "midge repellant also keeps ticks off". No it doesn't.

Depends on the repellant. Liberal application of DEET does; I'm sure a lot of the others don't.
 Chris F 27 Aug 2007
In reply to HeMa: The plastic tick hooks work well, and definitely worth getting.
 Stu Tyrrell 27 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:
> Can I drown them in a hot bath?
>
> They're still quite small so I can't get hold of them properly.
>
> G

Good site

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/StopTicks/

Stu
johnsdowens 27 Aug 2007
In reply to HeMa:
> > And twist 'em around for a round or two before starting to pull 'em out.

Because snapping the body off the head is a desirable outcome?
 HeMa 27 Aug 2007
In reply to johnsdowens:
> (In reply to HeMa)
> [...]
>
> Because snapping the body off the head is a desirable outcome?

Nope, doesn't happen. Provided you grap 'em by the neck (for which the designated tick-pickers/tweezers are great).

I've had well over 30 ticks suckin' my blood, and have always used this method. Never once have a left their head in.

Funnily enough, this method was teached to me by a nurse who works in one of the heaviest tick-infested areas in Finland (that would be the archipelago). I'm guessin' she knows what she's doing... considering she is almost daily takin' them buggers out (well, during the summer & fall).
 GrahamJ 27 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny:

25!! How on earth did you manage to pick up that many. I have a few the past but never more than one at a time.

Incidently, I found one burried in my scroat last year! phoned G-Docs as I wasn't burning that one off. The cure = Talisker. A nip to suffocate the beastie and half a bottle for me before yanking it out with tweezers. The certainly brought a tear to the eye!
 timothee 27 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: Tick tweasers from the vets are cheap and work- got 5 of the little monsters from etive earlier in the year and all came out easily (no infection)- The Lyme disease infection comes from the tick saliva so it doesn't matter if you leave the head in or not, though chance of infection increases with time of tick attachment- but if the head is left in you can get a (normal)secondary infection from it. If the bite has a large area of redness around it(like, plate sized) and then you get an expanding ring of redness-get to the doc's, cos lyme disease can be pretty nasty(worst case scenario MS like symptoms!check above cdc link) and it can affect you for years and years. but if you catch it early then it seems to go away.
sorry for lengthy scaremongering in what should be an amusing thread about questionably close contact between humans and sheep but a mate got lyme disease earlier this year by sleeping in a hedge(amusing but no sheep)caught it early enough and the massive dose of antibiotics should have zapped it
pmagowan 28 Aug 2007
In reply to GrahamJ:

I have also heard of the whiskey cure. A whole bottle of whiskey and then you don't know what it was that was bothering you. If you still have bother hit them with the empty bottle til you fall unconscious. They are never there when i wake up.
 aln 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest: I use ex-army repellant that's 79% DEET. Fantastic for deterring midges. I've had it plastered it all over me from fingertips to shoulder, ankle to knee, all over head (obviously avoiding eyes), spread it over clothing, still get ticked.
Anonymous 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Gybebunny: So is my guidebook!
Dave Peterson 04 Sep 2007
The best devices for tick removal are the Trix and Otom.

The Trix comes from Sweden and the Otom from France.

www.tickremover.com for the Trix

Used both in the past but prefer the Trix as it seems a lot easier to use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...