UKC

TNF Nuptse Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eddie1234 28 Aug 2007
Thinking of buying one now last seasons stock is dirt cheao, just wondering what the limitations of these are, would the be ok for scottish winter/summer in the alps? Just how waterproof are they if at all? How durable are they?

Regards, Eddie
OP Eddie1234 28 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234: That should read dirt cheap above.... bump
OP Eddie1234 28 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234: Anyone got any feedback on this at all?
In reply to Eddie1234:

Yep, bought one, not waterproof at all but ok in cold conditions such as scotland. HOWEVER, it is now a couple of years old and needs replacing I will be buying RAB or ME instead.
OP Eddie1234 28 Aug 2007
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: Ok thats good to know, im not too fussed if it only lasts a couple of years because its on sale for £50.
 SFM 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234:

If you can get one for £50 and you're only looking to get 1 or 2 seasons out of it then I'd go for it. I have one but reckon that Rab or ME jackets are far superior. Next down jacket I get will definitely have a hood!
 GarethSL 29 Aug 2007
In reply to SFM: eugh ME.... *shudders*
Juki 29 Aug 2007
In reply to SFM:
> Next down jacket I get will definitely have a hood!

Nuptse has a hood but obviously it's not insulated.

I've had a Nuptse about six years. Yes, it's not bombproof, it's not suitable for 8000+ peaks, it is sewn-through and it's not waterproof.

But still it's one of the most versatile insulated jackets I have. I do have a ME Annapurna jacket too but it's simply too big and heavy. It's a great jacket for roadside ice climbing and for Alaska but that's it.

The Nuptse is so light and small that you can easily take it with you if you might need some extra insulation. It's very warm if you can use it _under_ your shell.

You just have to be careful with it because it's a very lightweight down jacket but if you treat it with care it does last more than few years.
 TobyA 29 Aug 2007
 dpm 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234: Blimey - where did you find it at £50?
Wes 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234:

do not waste your money on what has become the TNF jakcet to have if you wish to look like everyone else and wear around town.

As you want to have a more "hard" end use than what this product is designed for;

Go with a Rab, PHD or ME one. You'll find them more durable, much better quality down and build quality as well.
OP Eddie1234 29 Aug 2007
In reply to dpm: Outside in hathersage or on ebay, TNF have updated their stock so these are now 'last seasons' jackets and going dirt cheap.

Sounds like it'l be just the ticket for the minute as i only want for scotland and the alps next year (which ill also have the full buffalo DP system to go with it).
 TobyA 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Wes: On what basis do you say that Wes - despite two of us having used them for years and having exactly the opposite view?

I know its very fashionable to knock TNF as chav-wear but have you actually used one for any length of time?
Juki 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Wes:
> do not waste your money on what has become the TNF jacket to have if you wish to look like everyone else and wear around town.

I've used my Nuptse for alpine and ice climbing for about six years. It has been perfect for it. I don't wear it when I go to the pub so I don't give a s**t what _other_ people think about it.

If you are a fashion snob who wants to look like an outdoor person but you don't actually go out then you should forget the Nuptse and buy something similar from the Arc'teryx.
OP Eddie1234 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Juki: Quite the opposite i want something cheap what works, if i was a 'fashion snob' i'd be buying one from a market in skegness whats not actually down and made by some tai boys on a weekend.
In reply to Eddie1234: Good jacket, Ive had mine 7 or 8 years now though covered in gaffer tape. Its kept me warm in a crevasse on the mer de glace over night and on belays in Norway.

Watch out the for fashion concious blokes like WES who are more bothered about looking the biz than doing anything, they wouldnt be seen dead in one.
In reply to Gaz lord:

> eugh ME.... *shudders*

Any rational reason for your shudders?
OP Eddie1234 29 Aug 2007
In reply to captain paranoia: My guess would be he shudders when he hears of things hes never tried and hence slags them off?
 TobyA 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Wes:

Come on Wes - you still haven't replied to Juki and my points and justified why you think the Nuptse is crap. I'm not picking on you, but its a bit of crappy UKC tradition to pronounce something as crap without giving any reason for it. Gaz Lord did exactly the same.

You work in a shop - do you get lots of returns of Nuptses or something?
 dek 30 Aug 2007
In reply to TobyA: the 'shudder' might be a 'shiver'? Mine is a bum freezer, too short, but i seem to remember it was designed as a liner for a NF mountain jacket, AKA the NF Numpty Jaicket.
anthonyecc 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234: In the outdoor retail trade they call them numpty jackets for the reason that everyone seems to wear one even in double figure temperatures!
OP Eddie1234 30 Aug 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: Lmao yeh seems a bit stupid but tbh i dont care what people think of them fashion wise if it keeps me warm when its below zero.
In reply to anthonyecc: and outside of needlesports and rock n run you try finding someone in the outdoor retail trade who knows anything about anything anyway
anthonyecc 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Fawksey: i know whereyou can find many. im just not telling
 Wilbur 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234:

i've had my ME lightline (Acquired for £80 reduced from £150) for 4 years and it's still going strong.
In reply to anthonyecc: not Blacks in Milton Keynes for certain
OP Eddie1234 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234: Well its arrived today, very happy with it, but im guessing its imported as it says its 900 fill power and most of the label is french.
In reply to Eddie1234: which side your zip on? I bought mine from the US as i didnt want to pay the prices asked for in the UK, my zips on the girlie side therefore
OP Eddie1234 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Fawksey: The right hand side if you're wearing it. which side is the 'girlie side'?
In reply to Eddie1234: Right I think but cant check as its in the attic. I cant zip it into my shell (bought in UK) cos the zippers are on the opposite side
OP Eddie1234 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Fawksey: Yeh i dont think mine zips in because it wasn't included in the 'features' bit on the lable, i tihnk its fairly old stock though judging by how the label looks (just has that old printer look to it).
In reply to Eddie1234: still it will keep you warm. Ive washed mine a few times and tumbled dried it and its come out ok but youve to be careful. Ive been very glad Ive had it and on cold belays the short length has been great for not getting in the way of your harness

enjoy
OP Eddie1234 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Fawksey: Thanks for the advice.

On another note does anyone know if nikwax downproof (wash in only) is anygood? or should i just spray any old waterproof for nylon on the outside?
Juki 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Eddie1234:
Girlie model doesn't have a nylon hood.

And it's short because it's designed for climbing. You know, you are wearing a harness and you are supposed to clip those nice and shinny climbing bits to your harness. It's quite difficult if the jacket goes below your bum...
In reply to Juki: what I meant was that in the olden days men and women had zips on opposite sides (like buttons on blouses and shirts). My TNF nuptse (with a hood) zips on the girls side cos it was made for the american market as our yank freinds have their zips on the same side as girls traditionally had them here, therefore I cant zip mine into my TNF shell as teh zips arent compatible
OP Eddie1234 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Juki: Really i never would've geussed that, and those shiny things are realy pretty arent they..... arse hole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...