UKC

Down memory lane to Snell's Field

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 29 Aug 2007
 blueshound 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

Good post. Why was it called Snell's?
OP Doug 29 Aug 2007
In reply to blueshound: Story I heard (& I've no idea if its true) is that the same M Snell who owned the shop in Chamonix owned the field. Also that there was an unofficial understanding that he let the police use it as a football pitch part of the year in return for not hassling the campers - again maybe not true
 JDDD 29 Aug 2007
In reply to blueshound: Because it was owned by Mr Snell I think. The same Snell as the large Snell outdoor shop in the centre of Cham.
 JDDD 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: My mate was talking about this on Monday and talking about the Burgess brothers who allegedly, amongst others used to steal food from the shops and if they needed to go to Italy would just nick a car as required.

Is this true?
 Chris F 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: I obviously never knew it when it was the hotbed of Alpinism, but have stopped in on the way past. I definitely felt the place had a bit of an aura about it and we played on the boulder for a bit. It feels more like it has a spiritual feel to it to me now though, as one of the friends who I was with at the time died in a climbing accident not long after.
Removed User 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

Boulder is called 'Pierre de ortaz' (or close to this) and is polished to hell. I think I've managed two routes on it.
rich 29 Aug 2007
 Mick Ward 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

Oh my God - ghosts indeed. Hard to believe that a click of the cursor could arouse such a plethora of bittersweet memories. Thank you for posting this.

Mick

OP Doug 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Removed User: That's 2 more than I could manage this visit, don't think I could do more than a couple of the problemw even when younger. The French guy in the linked photo obviously had several well wired but was impressive to watch. He spoke a little about having bouldered quite a bit with Cubby in the past
 sutty 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

The main reason the gendarmes cleared the place was because some people were slobs, leaving food and rubbish all over the place. Sometimes the gendarmes would come round and warn people to clean up or else, if they didn't they were turfed off. Petty thieving was done by some people, we did pinch a lettuce out of someones garden on the way back to the site one night but generally it was people trying to live there long periods on little money that pinched food.

The gendarmes eventually cleared everyone off, that field in your picture was the top one and we had to pay to camp on that last time we were there, though really it was only the hedge that divided the two sections, but we had litter bins.
I think we also had a rudimentary portaloo but am not sure now.
 blueshound 29 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

> we did pinch a lettuce out of someones garden on the way back to the site one night

And I thought you were one of the good guys.
OP Doug 29 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty: I though there were 2 camping sites, the one in the photo next to the river which (at least for me) was the real Snell's Field which was free and another on the other side of the track, nearer to the boulder, which was a commercial site called something like 'camping des Drus' with some fairly primitive loos but no other facilities

I heard at least once that the gendarmes were called by the owner of the nearby hotel who thought we spoilt the view for his guests
 Norrie Muir 29 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Doug)

Petty thieving was done by some people, we did pinch a lettuce out of someones garden on the way back to the site one night

Stealing a poor rabbit’s food, shame on you. Your halo has slipped, I hope you do not look down on us mere mortals from the moral high ground ever again.
 Norrie Muir 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
>
> When did you last see so many Vango tents together ?

At a Boy Scout camp.

Where were the poly sheet shelters of the early 70's?
rich 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: just out of curiosity did you see my post of 11:01?
OP Doug 29 Aug 2007
In reply to rich: er no, not sure how I missed it
 dek 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: Do you know the name of the guy in the photo at all? He loks familiar, or did everybody in the 70/80s look the same?
rich 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: no worries - i'd remembered that photo and your first post made me think of it straight away

shaigh 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

Ah, happy days...

The camp site was sort-of in use until 1989 or 90 I think. Snells itself wasn't used then, but the field around the boulder was used for camping and the police tolerated it. Whenever a tent appeared in Snell's it was soon moved on, but "Pierre's" was OK. I don't think the field was owned by Pierre, it just took it's name from the boulder. The site was a bit more official than Snell's and was run by a chap called M. Cachat, and even though it only cost a couple of francs a night the site would always empty when he turned up to collect his money. Looking back it was pretty shameful behaviour, but at the time every penny counted. I stopped going to Cham at about the same time the site closed, but I did go back for a few days one summer and the atmosphere at the other popular British site in Argentiere wasn't the same. Mind you, Snell's / Pierre's was a hovel and a real health hazard.
 sutty 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Unfortunately I was of high moral calibre then and did not like stealing, there were a lot of people who seemed to have no scruples, a noted Himalayan climber amongst them at the time. I believe Maggies dole thing set a fair few on the road to pinching the odd item from the supermarket. Eating the inside of a baguette and then filling it with other items was one ruse I heard of.

We did eat virtually the contents of the ice cream machine in the main street when it went wild and would not turn off, it would have been rude to let it all fall on the pavement.
OP Doug 29 Aug 2007
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to Doug) Do you know the name of the guy in the photo at all? He loks familiar, or did everybody in the 70/80s look the same?

Look like a guy called Dave from N Wales who I climbed with on a failed attempt on the Dru north face, but then lots of us looked a bit like that then
 dek 29 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty: I suppose your aversion to 'Neeps' must be locked into your misspent youth then?!
 Mike C 29 Aug 2007
 dek 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: Dead ringer for an Andy Parkins or Perkins i met in the Coe many many moons ago, but your right, the hairstyles all looked the same!
 Norrie Muir 29 Aug 2007
In reply to dek:

He looks shifty to me, so he could be sutty.
 dek 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Could be, looks like he's been eating too many lettuce!
 Laubie 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

I never went to the elusive Snells as by the time I went in the mid ninetees, it was gone I believe. I went to Boulder on the Orthaz builder and can only discribe it as very polished!

Where exactly was the field, near the boulder there woods, was it there?

Seem to remember it a fair old track to Chamonix by foot.
Anonymous 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Laubie:

The northern, or really north-eastern edge of the field was roughly on a direct line from the Pierre d'Orthaz to the river.

I first camped there in 1974, when it soon became a sea of mostly Black's Arctic Guinea tents, with a scattering of the new-fangled Force Ten's ..

By 1979 it had changed completely, and I was already feeling nostalgic about "the good old days .."

Although we went to the "Bar Nash" a few times, we definitely preferred the bar close to the centre of Argentiere village, much friendlier .. several times we were sat outside and the grocer opposite would come over and give us a big tray of only-slightly-bruised fruit, just as he was shutting up shop.

And contrary to a lot of other folks' anecdotes, I've only ever had courteous and helpful encounters with french guides on the hill or at huts, et cetera ..

Perhaps things really were different in those days..

Cosmic John.
 DougG 29 Aug 2007
 Mike C 29 Aug 2007
 Null 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Mike C:
> (In reply to Doug)
>
> Here you go - does this look familiar

This really kills me. Talk about nostalgia. First went when I was 19 (hitch-hiked out) and went every year for more or less the whole of the 80s. Basically grew up there.
Couldn't believe it had finally been shut down for good. Went a couple of times in the early 90s and camped at other sites, but it wasn't the same. The Bar Nash went "sour" at some point, too, and so I just gave up. Chamonix without the Snells "scene" was just unthinkable. It left a hole that I have never filled.
 Dan Goodwin 29 Aug 2007
In reply to Gavin Taylor:

I have just got back from Chamonix, i had an evening down at snells on the boulder it has some good probs on it, i first climbed on it during my first season about 7 years ago still post the snells years. There where some spanish french and english there slacklining and bouldering all chatting about the hills and things to do. I think that the scenes shift when i went for my first season we all stayed in a squat in Argentiere but when I went back there this time there was no one there really. I was tempted to think (although not that long ago) that what i had experienced in Chamonix had gone. But now i think about it Chamonix will always be the same attracting young climbers with no cash hiding out here and there and trying to last the season and cut thier teeth on the high hills, its the people who change i am quite keen to stay on a campsite that has a shower now and pay a bit extra for a few comforts in doing so i probally wont see that vagabond lifestyle, but its there !
 Al Evans 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: Yep, the night the yanks landed on the moon, we all watched it in a shop window in Chamonix, When we got back to Snells the yanks had done us proud, countless free kegs of beer for a mega party.
I just remember looking up at the Moon with this very pissed up yank next to me going over and over again
"Jeez, our boys are strolling about on there now"
 Laubie 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans: Pretty Good memory!
OP Doug 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans: No a wonderful photo but this aerial shot gives an idea of how crowded it could get

http://homepage.mac.com/pneame/pics/cham_73/Snells.jpg

Here's another photo found via google
http://homepage.mac.com/pneame/pics/cham_75/Snells.jpg
 sutty 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

Look at the rubbish lying around on that second picture, that is why the gendarmes kept coming round.
 JDDD 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

> Here's another photo found via google
> http://homepage.mac.com/pneame/pics/cham_75/Snells.jpg

Looks like a typical day after the night before type photo. Oh for student days again!
 Guy 30 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:

They also came around to collect all the tables and chairs acquired from the Montenvers sun terraces. Think they did it as a show rather than for effect as a few days later the chairs would be back!

There were stories that Cholera and Typhoid were prevalent too, especially with the water situation at Pierres. Still good times and fond memories.
 Al Evans 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Laubie: I think that was also the year that the song Je T'aime was released in France, us sex starved boys used to play it over and over on the boxes in the bars of the village, I think it was years later that it was allowed to be played in the UK.
rich 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans: found a pic of the plastic shelters Norrie referred to

www.jimdockery.com/climbaround/Europe/Chamonix/Snell'sField2.html
 Norrie Muir 30 Aug 2007
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to Al Evans) found a pic of the plastic shelters Norrie referred to
>
> www.jimdockery.com/climbaround/Europe/Chamonix/Snell'sField2.html

Thanks for that link. I've not looked at all the photos, but my mate is in this one http://www.jimdockery.com/climbaround/Europe/Chamonix/Party.html
 sutty 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Nice link, saved the main page.

That person on the RH side looks like Haston, is it?
 Al Evans 30 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty: None of these links are working for me Any suggestions.
OP Doug 30 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans: They work for me, maybe you should try again later ?
petealdwinckle 31 Aug 2007
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Doug)
>
> Look at the rubbish lying around on that second picture, that is why the gendarmes kept coming round.

Sutty you know that is boll*, it is not rubbish and four people are living under the polythene sheet and every cardboard box is a home for at least one person.

JDDD 31 Aug 2007
 Rob Exile Ward 31 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug: Good post. My clearest memories of the boulder were a youthful Cubby Cuthbertson sipping mineral water from a bottle (I'd never heard of such a thing, and thought he was being a wimp - we all drank beer!) then flashing all the routes.

Best though was a well fit French guy elaborately warming up in front of an admiring audience, then flashing one of the harder problems to their applause. The effect was somewhat spoiled when some guy from Northumberland (never knew who it was) strolled over and nonchalantly followed him up - in bare feet. Very funny moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...