UKC

Midges at Burbage Bridge!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BrianT 29 Aug 2007
I went out for a ride last night on my new bike. After descending Stanage Causeway, I rode up the road to Burbage Bridge, where I stopped to phone Jude, as it was starting to get dark and I knew she'd be worried (my original 20mile ride having morphed into a 30 mile one).
I'd literally only been stopped for less than a minute before the air was absolutely THICK with midges! I've never seen so many, ever, anywhere. The little buggers were all over me. I just had to ride on as fast as I could, slapping them off me as I went.
Was anyone at Burbage or Stanage late on last night 8:00ish? Did you encounter massive couds of midges too?
 rallymania 29 Aug 2007
In reply to BrianT:
no, but welcome to the west coast of scotland in summer
riding though glen afric last summer, looked down at my leg, couldn't see any skin between my shorts and socks
glen etive about 5 years ago, unable to breathe without a midge hood.
ardnamurchan last summer. try eating when you're only staying reasonably sane because you've got your hood on, food doesn't fit through the little holes very well.
arochar 2 years ago, aborted camping trip and rented a cheap room for the night, killed well over 2 hundered midges in the room, imagine what the campsite in the forest would have been like.
i know it's bad for the environment but can we can some napalm up here please?
 Chris F 29 Aug 2007
In reply to BrianT: We were on hebrides two weeks ago and had a fairly midge free trip, as standing upright in the wind was often more of a challenge however we got out the water one evening and the air was completely still. As soon as we crossed the dunes they decended in droves. Never before has decorum gone out the wondow that quickly getting out of a wetsuit. Luckily it started raining and got windy again shortly after.
 gethin_allen 29 Aug 2007
In reply to BrianT: on a slightly different thread; has anyone tried using avon skin so soft as a midge repellent. I read a news article about it, they say that the marines use it when on manoeuvres in the highlands.
Andrew Murray 29 Aug 2007
In reply to BrianT: i was out in Burbage yesterday with the intention of doing some "climbing". not a hope! i practically ran back to Sheffield to get away from the fuquers.
OP BrianT 29 Aug 2007
In reply to gethin_allen: I use skin so soft all the time. Midges and mozzies hate it. It does wear off after a while and it makes your fingers greasy too, but your skin will be like a virgin's labia.

Andrew Murray: It was bad enough on the bike, never mind climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...