UKC

ab tat joining knot ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lithos 29 Aug 2007
at the top of Leviathan (http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=26062) at The Dewerstone
near plymouth there is a tree with currently two loops of ab tat (quite new).

Both these loops were tied with double fig 8 (on bight), one with 1 inch tails.
This lookeed decidedly dodgy to me and given the issues with joining ab ropes (which
have a simlar geometrty in terms of pull direction and ability to roll) made me very uncomfy.

I retied both with double fishermans, same as i'd always tie this sort of permenant loop with.

Scary
 Justin T 29 Aug 2007
In reply to lithos:

Good news - I'd thought about leaving something up there myself to protect the tree. Is there a maillon or ring on it? Would make sense as otherwise it's not going to last that long with a lot of ropes pulled through it.

You were right to retie - double fishermans is best for a permanent installation. A rethreaded fig-8 (with the load strands coming out of opposite ends of the knot) is OK in this scenario but if it was a double fig-8 (with the load strands coming out the same end) that's scary.
OP lithos 29 Aug 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

no maillon and i didnt have one with me !

it was as i described both small tails at the same end, not rethreaded. There were two independent cords both tied the same!

Cant see why you'd bother with a rethreaded fo8 though when fishermans is sooooo reliable and easy to tie.
 Justin T 29 Aug 2007
In reply to lithos:

> Cant see why you'd bother with a rethreaded fo8 though

Neither can I but I think some people only know how to tie one knot

stuartf 29 Aug 2007
In reply to lithos:

Why ab off the tree when there's a perfectly reasonable top pitch to the route?
 Justin T 29 Aug 2007
In reply to stuartf:

The top pitch can cause an issue when the crag's busy as it's a traverse onto the second pitch of Central Groove - the classic route of the crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...