UKC

Germany Christmas/ New Years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sienna78 31 Aug 2007
Hi,

Im thinking of making a visit to friend of mine in Munich area and we would like to do some mixed (or even Ice) climbing there. Does anyone know any areas where we could enjoy some nice easy routes. I have experience on leading Scottish winter grade 2, plus lead on rock VS so I should be sort of okayish with all the gear. My friend is with less experience but both of us with lots experience on walking/ trekking in the winter.
 John Ww 31 Aug 2007
Good luck doing any sort of climbing in the area around Munich - it's flatter than a very flat thing with a degree in flatness from flat university! You will need to go a fair way south toward Garmisch or into Austria before you hit anything resembling a mountain - and even these were distinctly green rather than wintery for much of last winter. Sorry to be the bearer of less than joyous news.
BigCol 05 Sep 2007
In reply to Sienna78:

Last winter was particularly bad, but normally some ice climbing should be doable at that time of year. Yes, Munich is flat, but ice routes are pretty close by really.

The closest easiest routes are at Sylvenstein, which is 45 mins south of Munich and between Bad Tölz and Achensee. Walk in takes 10 mins from the road to a gorge, where there's about 6x 1 pitch routes from WI2 to WI4. The upper gorge has some harder lines, including a classic 2 pitch WI4. On the same road towards Hinteriß there are other routes, also near Achensee there are routes, too.

In the Garmisch direction you have the Jochburg gullies. Jochburg is before Garmisch, close to Walchensee. These are longer routes and require relatively cold conditions to form. 45 min drive down the autobahn from Munich.

In the Kufstein direction there's a lot, too. Again, about 45 mins from Munich.

Further still, there's Ziller Tal, Sellrain, Stubaital and Salzburger Land. Takes about 2 hours to get to these places.

When you are in Munich go to the shop called Sport Schuster and get the Austrian Ice guide, all these places are in there.
OP Sienna78 15 Sep 2007
In reply to BigCol:

Cheers for your advice. Sorry for the late reply. Yes it all sounds good! I have to have a chat with my friend if she recognises any of the places. Last new years we did some good snowshoeing for few days in Garmisch but this year would be good to get out to do some proper climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...